The Crucible - Background Information Search
Arthur Miller, Salem Witch Trials, and Writing Assignment for “The Crucible”
- Go to
- Make note of 20 KEY words from the information on this page about Arthur Miller.
- Pay close attention to the “The Crucible” & McCarthyism sections.
- Create a “Word Cloud” at https://www.wordclouds.com/ with your 20 words. You can change the font, shape, size, color and anything you want to make it unique. Once finished, right click (or two-finger click if you have a Chromebook), select “copy image” and then paste the image into your Google Doc.
Salem Witch Trials
While you are exploring the following links, you will use the information to create a timeline and a character chart.
- Time Line: Both of the following links are good sources.
- Your timeline MUST INCLUDE AT LEAST 10 EVENTS with short descriptions or explanations of each event you choose. Your first event should be January 1692 and your final event should be May 1693.
- Character Chart:
- You will need to explore and read about the many different REAL people associated with the Salem Witch Trials. You will need to provide a brief description of who each of these people were in 1-2 sentences.
- Must include information you find on the following 10 people:
- Abigail Williams
- John Proctor
- Sarah Good
- Sarah Osborn
- John Hathorne
- Mary Warren
- Rebecca Nurse
- Giles Cory
- Elizabeth Proctor* You’ll need to go to this website for information about Elizabeth: http://historyofmassachusetts.org/elizabeth-proctor/
- 4 Sentence Single Chunk (Topic Sentence, Concrete Detail, Commentary, Commetnary): Arthur Miller titled this play “The Crucible.” Why do you think he chose this as his title? (Hint: Look up the definition of a crucible.)
Below you will find a total of FOUR rubrics: one for each piece of the above assignment. Please use these rubrics to guide your work and to assist you with knowing exactly what I expect from this work.
Word Cloud Rubric
20 Words Chosen
20 words selected and used
10-19 words selected and used
9 or less words selected and used
All words are spelled correctly and effort is obvious
Most words are spelled correctly and some effort is obvious
Only some words are spelled correctly and little effort is obvious
All 20 words are significant keywords related to “The Crucible,” Arthur Miller, or McCarthyism
Most words are keywords related to “The Crucible,” Arthur Miller, or McCarthyism
Very few words are spelled correctly and no effort is visible
Total Possible Points: 15
Time Line Rubric
10 Events Listed
10 events are listed
9-6 events are listed
5 or less events are listed
Content of Descriptions
Brief but descriptive content provided for each event
Brief but descriptive content provided for most events
Brief but descriptive content provided for only a few events
Total Possible Points: 10
Character Chart Rubric
Content of Notes for 10 People Researched
Brief but descriptive content provided for each person
Brief but descriptive content provided for most people
Brief but descriptive content provided for only a few people
Total Possible Points: 10
Writing Assignment Rubric
Accurately restates and adequately answers the question
Either restates the question but doesn’t answer it well, or doesn’t answer it at all
Doesn’t restate the question or answer it
All fact and provides a solid example to defend answer
Mostly fact and provides an example to defend answer
Not a fact but gives some reason for answer
Stays on topic of concrete detail and provides adequate support for defense
Provides some adequate support for defense, but strays from topic
Strays from topic and provides no defense for concrete detail used
Obvious evidence of effort and a well-thought-out answer
Doesn’t fully answer the question asked
Has nothing at all to do with the question asked
Total Possible Points: 20