Carton is making the ultimate sacrifice. Yet consider the sacrifices others make in these final chapters. In a small group, discuss the following.
- What is the sacrifice of the seamstress?
- Turn to the passage in which she talks about the revolution from, "Brave and generous friend,” to “Is the moment come?”
- Do you find her comments heroic or foolish? Do you think Dickens believes she is sacrificing for the future of France?
- What is Miss Pross’s sacrifice?
- Does she seem at all foolish? How heroic is she?