Christianity and the Igbo People
Send your representative to the inner circle for the discussion! Whether you are speaking or listening, you should pay close attention and take notes in order to be able to analyze the discussion later. Remember that outer circle participants are responsible for active listening, note taking, and evaluation of the discussion. Use Outer Circle Tasks 2 for your notes.
- Is Christianity a good thing for the Igbo people? Should they adopt it? (You might consider analyzing the questions below first, to help you frame your answer to this one.)
- Whom, or what, does Christianity seem to value?
- Whom, or what, does traditional Igbo culture and religion value?
- What do individuals gain or lose by converting to Christianity?
- What does the community gain and lose when individuals convert?
- Which is more dangerous for the Igbo people—converting, or keeping their own culture and religion? Why?