Webinar One - Discussion (required)

by Joanna Schimizzi 3 years ago

As we continue on our journey of #A11Y, here is a resource from CAST that explores what Luis was sharing regarding guidelines for  "ESSENTIAL for SOME. HELPFUL for ALL”.

1. Open the resource from CAST and scroll down to the table at the bottom. 

2. Explore the table, taking note that each bullet point is a hyperlink!

3. Choose one guideline and "CLICK REPLY" below to share how incorporating this particular strategy could impact your learners.

Example - Activate or supply background knowledge (checkpoint 3.1) - this strategy can really help my students...

STEPHANIE VOGEL 3 years ago

Checkpoint 1.1 Offer Ways of Customizing The Display of Information:  This strategy can really help my students with additional learning needs understand the concepts and content to improve their overall learning., 

Perception: Making sure all displays or videos are accessible by students of all needs.  Student who need low lights, CC, special colors of displays, are they being used.

Checkpoint 1.2 Offer Alternatives for Auditory Information - I will be more mindful to add live closed captions to videos the class reviewers for reaction/respond activities.

Executive functions 6.3 Facilitate managing information and resources.  My AP Literature students will confidently select from a pletora of information and resources available, whatever is relevant to articulate an individual point of view according to prompt. Then, they will be able to stick to a selected lead thought and develop it  along essays exhibiting their preparedness

Jacob Sanford 3 years ago

Build fluencies with graduated levels of support for practice and performance (checkpoint5.3)

Because learners need multiple opportunities and avenues to show what they learn, being conscious of this and using this practice is important to making performance accessible. Usually we think of one way to check for understanding, and hope the student can show understanding. More options for performance = More accessability to show understanding = Empowered learners

Checkpoint 4.1: Vary the methods for response and navigation. This UDL guideline is a good reminder to approach the material with a variaty of strategies in order to motivate the students to learn in a way that makes them feel at ease and well supported.

JUDY CUNIUS 3 years ago

CHECKPOINT 7.1 Optimize individual choice and autonomy

I have used this strategy from very early in my teaching career. My students feel more involved in what we do in class. Unfortunately, most of these students have been told what to do, or just had stuff done for them, not asked what they wanted. Surprisingly, they prefer learning new things, rather than listening to early elementary music and books. 

CLARENCE JONES 2 years, 11 months ago

I think it is important to give students autonomy in the sequence or timing for completion of subcomponents of tasks that are required. This allows students to make decisions on what they wish to complete first and lets them experience success by completing the tasks they feel most confident about.  I also try to give choices in shorth answer or essay questions when students are taking tests. This gives them autonomy in choosing which questions they wish to answer in order to prove their mastery of material.

NEBRA HALSEY 2 years, 11 months ago

Checkpoint 1.1-Offering ways of customizing the display of information

This  particular strategy can help my students communicate when they are at a loss for words.  For example, putting emphasis on the size of text could show importance and adding graphics could get across the meaning without words. If the teacher and student get together and have a "cheat sheet" constructed the teacher will know what to look for when evaluting assignments from the student.

ALISSA HALL 2 years, 11 months ago

Increase mastery-oriented feedback (checkpoint 8.4) -- Mastery-oriented feedback will help my students by enabling them to see that writing is a process. It will help them celebrate achievements and not get disheartened because instead of focusing on a letter/number grade to determine whether or not they succeeded, they will see that improving in their mastery is the success. This is a difficult mindset to get students (particularly AB honor roll ones) to understand, but it will be well worth the effort.

Penny Ward 2 years, 11 months ago

Checkpoint 3.3 Guide information processing and visualization: This strategy can really help my students' ability to learn by removing unnecessary distractions in text and by chunking information into smaller elements. This makes sure the content is accesssible to all students of every need. 

CAROLYN LOVELL 2 years, 11 months ago

CHECKPOINT 9.3

Develop self-assessment and reflection - In the IB Middle Years Program, these are essential skills that should be explicitly taught. This strategy can really help my students understand how to regulate themselves and their performance. It can help them look at their successes and learning opportunities and see how they might improve or what they might do differently. 

MARY COX 2 years, 11 months ago

Checkpoint 3.1:  Activate or supply background knowledge.  This strategy can really help my students make cross-curricular connections and also use advanced organizers to synthesize information.

ANZHELIKA SURRATT 2 years, 11 months ago

I think that CHECKPOINT 5.1 is very important for the students. They need to Use Multiple Media for Communication. They need to use media to express themselves. In 6 chorus class, I create assignments to sing song and clap the rhythm patterns. I asked the students to create their own videos. I shared with them the videos how to create a video on the camera on their computers. They created their own videos and submitted to the Google Classroom. Sometimes, I ask the students to clap rhythm patterns during chorus class and submit to assignment.

ANDREINA TURRUBIARTES 2 years, 11 months ago

CHECKPOINT 5.1 Use multiple media for communication

Adding multiple media to my lesson plans can help the students connect the content to their senses. Adding a picture, the word, the audio for the word for example. Going a step further and adding a video or a website could possibly trigger their exploration and discovery of new things too. Activating their imagination by giving them different outlets to their creativity or giving them an opportunity to possibly discover it could be helpful as well. Using multiple media can also lead to discovering the students learning preference too.

KAREN NOTESTINE 2 years, 11 months ago

Action and Expression Enhance Capacity for Monitoring Progress this strategy can reallt help my students ask questions for understanding. Many students just say "I don't get it."  Students need help to narrown down to what they do understand and what they don't understand and be able to formulate a question that will correct the misconceptions. 

DEIRDRE TYNER 2 years, 11 months ago
Facilitate managing information and resources (checkpoint6.3) - This strategy can really help my students with the management of their individual class assignments, the completion of tasks, and their basic organization. Many of my students have deficits in the area of execuative skills. They often have difficulty completing assignments in a timely manner and even taking notes during class lectures. Having templates and guides in place at certain parts of their assignments, I believe would greatly help them retain information as well as master their internal means of organizing and gathering data.
VANESSA EDMUNDSON 2 years, 11 months ago

Expression & Communication - Checkpoint 5.1:  Use Multiple Media for Communication, this strategy can really help my students because it's important that ALL of my students receive opportunities to develop a variety of media alternative expressions for a media-rich world.

MELANIE RADERMACHER 2 years, 11 months ago

Checkpoint 5.3: Build fluencies with graduated levels of support for practice and performance - this strategy can really help my students as they come to Math 1 with such a wide variety of mathematical skills and reasoning abilities, as well as diverse human living experiences.  They desperately need mentors, tutors, individualized experiences, differentiated feedback, and examples/models to emulate in order to take them from where they are in their mathematical understanding and help them build, scaffold, and learn. 

ANNE PROCTOR 2 years, 11 months ago

Checkpoint 9.3 Developself-assessment and reflection --> I think this strategy is an important part of a student's learning environment.  While a teacher and student can determine whether a student gets it or not through varies assessments, I find that allowing students to stop and reflect themselves allows them time to process and develop goals to help themselves improve in the SEAL environment.  This is a tool I would like to create and use more in the future to better support students. 

Alberta Love 2 years, 11 months ago

Provide multiple means of engagement: As a Full Remote teacher this past year, it has been a real challenge to get students engaged so they can turn on their cameras. I think the information about surveys to see determine interests, and then use a variety of strategies and activities will get my kids engaged more often. An area of concern/challenge is encouraging my students to collaborate and work cohesively in small groups. 

KIMBERLEY SMITH 2 years, 11 months ago
Checkpoint 1.1

Offer ways of customizing the display of information

Recently coming in to teaching 6th grade resource ELA, I have discovered that the students have a variety of abilities for interpreting lessons.  I have initiated discussion with the students to what/how they like to learn about an upcoming topic.  Information gathered from them has been instrumental to me finding the ways to help each of them learn to the best of their abilitiies.  I am excited to utilize much more as I delve into GoOpenNC!

TAMMY FITZPATRICK 2 years, 11 months ago

Clarify Vocabulary and Symbols: Embed support for vocabulary and symbols within the text (e.g., hyperlinks or footnotes to definitions, explanations, illustrations, previous coverage, translations)- This is important for me to plan ahead for and implement. I work with students with language-based disabilities and vocabulary is a significant hurtle for most of my students. Often my students will "blow past" words they don't know, but embedding support will encourage students to explore meanings of unknown words without feeling overwhelmed with the effort it takes to look up words on a different tab. Embedded Illustrations, synomyns, definitions, etc. could be super-helpful.