Webinar Two - optional discussion

by Joanna Schimizzi 2 years, 11 months ago

As you continue exploring Accessibility, CAST has another resource about principles for creating accessible web content. 

Choose one of the POUR principles and describe how you would change your own resources based on that principle.

DEMETRIUS MARLOWE 2 years, 11 months ago

I would take the time on the front end to ensure that my content was PERCEIVABLE.  I think it is important that content is accessible in many forms so that the learner has various methods that are OPERABLE for learning.

ANZHELIKA SURRATT 2 years, 11 months ago

I would like to work more on Operable: Provide options for navigation. My students need to have a clear structure with headings as first, second and third levels heading and create table of contents. I will pay attention to create descriptive links as unique link. I need to check accessibility for keyboard. I need to provide more time for my students who need to complete chorus assignments. I have to avoid animations and flashing from content.  

VANESSA EDMUNDSON 2 years, 11 months ago

I selected ROBUST because my focus goal this year was to integrate technology more within my lesson plans. Technology Integration is also a required strategy for our Lesson Plans.  I agree with the ACCESSIBILITY Technique POUR that using technology can make content easier to find and use and make content usable in more places and devices.  I started using more technology daily as a strategy for my students even before we had to go remotely but now I see how useful it can be for all learners.  I decided that I'm going to utilize "Flipgrid" to my advantage as a Theatre teacher which would make my content for acting activities more engaging whether we're remotely or on campus.

TAMMY FITZPATRICK 2 years, 11 months ago

Communicate to your learners that you expect them to notify you if at any time they experience less than full participation in learning and assessment activities. This includes reporting any accessibility barriers they encounter as soon as possible. Explain that this information is necessary for you to effectively support their independence, participation, and progress. 

I picked this one from "Robust" (Involve people in accessibility) as a starting point because I have seen students struggle to figure out which assignment they are supposed to be doing, where the assignment is located, what the directions mean, and which resources they are supposed to use to complete expectations on assignments. I am a special ed teacher and I think it would be amazing if I could help teachers create an environment where students feel free to give feedback and feel confident that they are capable of completing assignments. So many times I've seen my EC students get stumped before they even get to the assignment itself. I would love to see this area improve. 

KIMBERLEY SMITH 2 years, 11 months ago

I choose the Perceivable principle for the current group of students I teach. Taking time to 'observe' each student and their preferences for what they watch/manipulate on laptop in downtime, and by approaching curriculum concepts with the ideas of adjusting presentation layouts, screen brightness/dimness, auditory/visual, text/picture symbols, color contrast, to the variety of ways the students enjoy learning can increase student performance.  

Jacob Sanford 2 years, 11 months ago

More understandable. This fits right in with "essential for some, helpful for all". Using simplier, clear language and adding supports where needed, using consistent formats, and reducing reliance on sensory prompts is something I can do to make directions and assignments more understandable.

CAROLYN LOVELL 2 years, 11 months ago

I would work with UNDERSTANDABLE. Working with middle school students, not just those who use adaptive technology, requires specific and clearly worded instructions. Sometimes what adults think are clearly worded don't make sense to students. It's important to get their feedback. I appreciated the example about referring to a passage  by name instead of just "the passage". Clarity is key. I would work to be sure my resources used consistent language so that students become familiar with the format and know what to expect each time.

ANDREINA TURRUBIARTES 2 years, 11 months ago

Understandable: Create an intuitive experience. Providing consistent, plain and clear directions can go a long way for students. There are no surprises and the students can find a routine which could help their mental state. I think working on direct directions and direct expectations will assure the goal is understood and met. I think, once my students are understanding what is expected from them, I can work on integrating the other principals in lessons and trying it out. Asking for the students’ input can also help assure my directions are being understood.

Elizabeth London 2 years, 11 months ago

As a special education teacher, I am constantly making sure material used in classrooms are accessible for my students, but I don't always think about the other areas of needs for students.  I need to work on making sure my content is P-Perceivable.  I have learned over the years that not only hearing information is important, but so is seeing the content.  Making sure my content is accessible for students with vision needs.  

MARY COX 2 years, 11 months ago

Making education materials understandable would require that I make changes to my directions in order for them to be worded in simpler terms and with clarity.  

ANNE PROCTOR 2 years, 11 months ago

In using the POUR principle of Understandable, I would like to increase my students' understanding of my content and instructional assignments by using a "consistent and predictable design".  Throughout this year, I consistently made tweaks to my playlists on Canvas to better support student learning and ease of presenting material. 

KAREN NOTESTINE 2 years, 11 months ago

I choose Understandable. I have realized that my lessons plans and Canvas are not necessarrily set up in a consistant way. For the Canvas it is partly because it is new to me this year and was given little training. I was not quite sure how I wanted to set it up for my students. Through out the year, the students have given me feed back of how they liked and did not work. I also need to work on clear directions. While the directions might seem perfectly clear to me, does not mean it is clear to the students. 

ALISSA HALL 2 years, 11 months ago

I chose Perceivable. I'm going to review my handouts and assignments to ensure that all images have descriptions and that the font/background is legible and easy to read in terms of coloring and contrast. I also want to ensure that all of the videos I use/produce have a closed caption option. If not, I will create a transcript for them.

CLARENCE JONES 2 years, 11 months ago

Understandable

I want to be sure that my formats are consistent and that I use language that is clear and of the appropriate reading level of my students. If students cannot understand my directions, they will be unable to achieve.