Webinar Two - optional discussion

by Joanna Schimizzi 3 years ago

As you continue exploring Accessibility, CAST has another resource about principles for creating accessible web content. 

Choose one of the POUR principles and describe how you would change your own resources based on that principle.

KAYLA REID 3 years ago

Operable: Provide options for navigation I would change my own resources based on that principle by making sure that I provided students with clear structure that includes headings and descriptive links. Also, I would be sure to provide sufficient time for students to navigate their assignments. 

Being 100% virtual at the moment, I have provided my students with weekly playlist that is easy to navigate and understand. I have provided a heading that includes the subject and the week. I provide a bitmoji to identify the subject for those that may need that picture cue. On the playlist, I include descriptive links for students to easily access their assignments.

GWEN SMITH 3 years ago

Hi Kayla,

Would you be willing to share a link to one of your weekly playlists?

Gwsmith@lenoir.k12.nc.us

Thanks for considering this.

Gwen Smith

GWEN SMITH 3 years ago

To start with baby steps, I would focus on the P in POUR, which is making the content perceivable.  For example, I would like to be sure that content can be available for my struggling readers via a text reader.  I also believe that assessment should be easily accessible as well, yet at their own pace.  For example, many of my students require read aloud on their assessments.  In the regular ed classroom, this can move at a pace which might be too quick.  If, however, I create the read aloud for students that they can control and return to, this would be really helpful for them...likely a game changer.  Utilization of color is also something I need to explore more.  Closed captioning is helpful, even for students who are not hearing impaired.  "Necessary for some, useful for many" comes to mind when reflecting on the way I would change my current resources.

AMANDA KIM 3 years ago

Understandable: Create an intuitive experience - I would change my resources so that my directions don’t rely on sensory characteristics such as color, shape, position or size. I did not realize that a screen reader would not inform the reader of the location of the passage on the page (Ex. Review the passage "to the right"). So now I know that I should use more labels to instruct my students.

Maxine Lewis 3 years ago

Understandable

I would have students:

-reflect on the lesson{orally or via written response}

-paraphrase or summarize key lesson concepts {visually/orally/otherwise}

-response cards (index cards, white boards, computer/chrome books/verbally/othersise) to indicate their response to questions or problems

-four corners (teacher poses a question/make statment students move to appropriate corner of the room to indicate their response) game for a quick and easy snapshoot of student understanding

Perceivable: Present information in multiple ways

I will use this content for my students in the music classes. I will put closed cations to my videos, I will use Arial style for music assignments. I will use better instruction for music classes. I will add text description to music pictures. I need to learn about colors and do not se color alone. I like idea red and blue. These colors are my favorite colors.

RITA EVANS 2 years, 11 months ago

Operable- In Pre K our online resources such as our classroom website was created last year for the parents.  I would change my website resources by making them more operable for the parents.  Last year I had to send several videos to parents email to navigate them thru how to use the webpage.  I think if the web page was more operable and easier for parents to navigate they would have been able to assist their children better with online assignments and links.  

JENNIE EVERETT 2 years, 11 months ago

Operable:  Provide options for navigation

I would chang my resources to make sure they are operable for all my learners.   I want all them to be able to assess the materials/lessons that I am covering in order for them to understand with their own abilities.  We are all learn in many different ways.  

Based on what I have learned in this webinar, I would make sure the headings and information is clearly stated and easy to assess descriptive links that will be appealing in a simple way and easy to understand for all my learners.  The websites would be easy and not distracting for my students.  This way they can stay focus and not be stray from the assignment at task. 

I would provide them with the tools they needed such as assessible keyboard that would not create any barriers for the learner.  I would allow the sstudents sufficient time to complete the assignment.  I know not everyone can complete the assignment in the same amount of time.  I would give reminders about the assignment that is due to make sure they are staying focus with the end in mind which is to complete the task at hand. 

Jessica Wyke 2 years, 11 months ago

The Princple I chose to discuss is Understandable. I would provide clearer instructions for my students, and use plain language. If I do introduce a new vocabulary word, I will give insight on the word, define it, and make sure it is identified. 

JILLIAN BALDWIN 2 years, 11 months ago

I would update my current resources to be more understandable/predictable. I have been able to share Canvas resources with my 100% virtual fellow teachers in my county. This has helped a lot with content creation but has led to different layouts with little to no predictability. In the future, I will use a consistent layout for all of my Canvas course materials. 

Elizabeth Traxler 2 years, 11 months ago

I would use the Robust option of the POUR principle so learners can use these options at current and future times and in a variety of platforms. These skills would help learners access content that it easier to use and across platforms and deioces as well as being made available for remediation purposes.