Webinar #2 - BT Support Hub Engagement

by Joanna Schimizzi 4 years, 5 months ago

1) Please reply to this discussion prompt to leave your thoughts.

2) Then, please reply to at least one other person to further the discussion.

How can we use #GoOpenNC to provide multiple levels of support for those mentoring and coaching our Beginning Teachers?

Stephanie Harris 4 years, 5 months ago

#GoOpenNC can provide an excellent resource because not only can we provide curriculum resources to support them as part of their day to day instruction, but we can also develop materials to coach them and develop them professional. Beginning teachers may not see all of the content, but the BT hub can currate resources for classroom management, classroom observation (both of and for beginning teachers), dealing with difficult students, etc to improve quality instruction for students across North Carolina.

Stacey Bush 4 years, 5 months ago

I totally agree Stephanie!  I think having somewhere that new teachers can access with help with classroom management and also more consistency for all of our NC educators.  Hopefully this will allow teachers to grow and feel more supported in their time in education. 

SANDRA CARTER 4 years, 5 months ago

I totally agree with you. Even though my primary job is support the arts education, I am really committed to supporting my Beginning Teachers whoever they are. Having a resource HUB where things are organized  by topic will be really helpful. I have my own experiences with content & classroom management - it will be very helpful to have a place where I can "pick the minds" of many great educators experiences, tips, and solutions to share with my teachers. 

Stacey Bush 4 years, 5 months ago

I think that it would be great for us to label the work shared in different folders as we mentioned on the webinar last night.  I would want to be able to search a specific topic as a mentor and find a folder with several different resources.  I am still thinking about what folders would be needed and how that could look on the platform.  I enjoyed hearing about what we could possibly offer to both mentors and mentees last night on the webinar.  I feel that most of us veterans are stretched so thin (I have three mentees) and we don't get a chance to provide the individualized attention that some of the newer teachers may need/want.  It is great to have a resource for them to access for ideas--or even for us to direct them too for ideas.

LAURI SCHATZ 4 years, 5 months ago

Hi Stacey!  I agree with you!  Would love to see some organization within the folders.  I would love to see by grade level and then maybe by subject. Within the subject folders, broken down by objectives even.  

Stephanie Harris 4 years, 5 months ago

I like the idea of folders, but I think we need to really consider how they are organized -- especially with BTs. I would think it needed to be organized by bands (maybe K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12) and then specific areas of focus (classroom management, lesson planning, observing other teachers, etc) so that coaches/mentors can easily find resources based on the specific needs of their beginnig teacher!

Aimee Wagner 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree with you, Stephanie! I like the idea of organizing by grade level bands, and then by areas of focus that you mentioned or perhaps the NC Professional Educator Standards. So, if a teacher was struggling with classroom management (i.e Standard 2) I could go direclty to that folder to identify coaching resources that I could use or modifiy to improve teacher performance in that standard. 

JENNIFER ABERLY 4 years, 5 months ago

Aimee, I really like the idea of providing resources aligned to the NC Professional Educator Standards. Linda Bulluck mentions below about the organization being user friendly so users can easily locate the resources. I think we keep the basic structure as simple as possible, while offering as much as we can.

RAE THOMPSON 4 years, 5 months ago

The organization of the materials for ease of use is definitely something to plan for as we build the platform.  I love the idea of the bands!

I love this idea!  Definitely need them to be organized or people will give up looking for resources.  I would love to see a BT folder and a BT mentor/coach folder.  Let's make this happen!

PAMELA SUTTON 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree Stephanie! Organizing them by grade levels will also help us identify where we need to 'step up' our resources. In my experience, there seems to be more resources and support for K-5 and then it becomes more challenging in middle and high school especially when a mentor may or may not teach the same content as the mentee.

NORMA BOONE 4 years, 5 months ago

The organization by topic and some have mentioned grade span would be beneficial. 

Amanda Applegate 4 years, 5 months ago

Stacey I totally agree! I am really excited to have a one stop shop for all of these fabulous resources. It will be so nice to be able to share this with my mentors and make it a little easier to find resources to share with their BT's.

Annemarie Farris 4 years, 5 months ago

Hi Stacey!

I think this is a great idea!  When I was thinking of ways to use it and provide multiple I want anyone connected to a Beginning Teacher to be able to use this resource. If all the items could be placed in a subject specific or a person specific (mentor, admin, teammate, beginning teacher) folder for easier access.

DaQuita Pounds 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey Stacey!!!

I loved the idea of folders as well!  I think that some folders/topics that are pretty standard include 1) how to have a coaching conversation with a BT, 2) a video library of example videos that demonstrate a particular strategy, and 3) Tools to track when/how I'm supporting a BT.

These are just a few things that I see as common trends in my work.  I'm sure they could be cleaned up a little and I know that there are so many more options.  But perhaps this could be a start.

Kathryn Shupe 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I agree!  I think it would be most helpful to organize it in ways that are accessible to all.  Ultimatley we want to support our BT's and ensure that they have all the support and resources necessary to retain and keep them in teaching.  

James Worthington 4 years, 5 months ago

I see GoOpenNC as being an effective resource for support because of the ability to drill down from very broad to very specific topics as needed.  As more users post resources the potential for customized content will also allow for more personalized use of materials. 

Aimee Wagner 4 years, 5 months ago

#GoOpenNC can definitely be used to provide multiple levels of support for our BT's. Not only can we utilize it as mentors to source coaching resources, but we can encourage and train BT's on how to utilize the platform for their own professional growth.  For example, BT's can be encouraged and trained on how to use the platform for things such as finding ideas for relationship building strategies, sourcing standard-aligned lesson resources and connecting and collaborating with other BT's across the state. 

I agree with Aimee. It would provide the opportunity for the BTs go search for different materials and give them and their mentor the opportunity to brainstorm how the materials can be used. This would also provide me with resources to use when providing the PD for the mentors and when meeting with specialized groups of BTs.

SANDRA CARTER 4 years, 5 months ago

We can use #GoOpenNC resources to provide support that addresses the many facets of mentoring and coaching our BTs. I see the #GoOpenNC being divided into to subgroups of topics like content, classroom management, data interprepation/use, lesson planning, etc. and as mentors we can easily find those resources we need to support whatever type of needs our BTs need. The people who support BTs, whether as their FT job or as an assignment, need a place where we can find good quality materials to help our BTs be the best they can be. I think this is going to be an awesom resource for all. 

LINDA BULLUCK 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree Sandra.  Organization of resources into subtopics would be a great way to ensure that educators engage with the tool.  The easier it is to navigate through the tool to find resources, the more people will use it.

Angela Cogdill 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree Sandra and this is a great vehicle for all of use in the field to help and collaborate as we support BTs and Mentors!

I agree! It is going to be so awesome to have so many great resources available in one place. 

Tyler Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree with you Sandra. Organization is key when being an educator and this gives us a roadmap to find resources to be supportive to everyone .

MARCY KEENER 4 years, 5 months ago

I also agree with you Sandra, I love your idea of building subgroups that are specific to different content areas or areas of need  like you stated classroom management.  Being able to talk to others in the "same boat" can sometimes be support enough to know that you are not alone with a problem. Knowing that there are vetren teachers willing to help is a suppport in itself! 

LINDA BULLUCK 4 years, 5 months ago

#GoOpenNC is a wonderful tool for resource support.  Finally, there is a site where mentors and coaches can go to find and share resources to support beginning teachers. Beginning teachers will also be able to use the tool to find and develop resources.  It is also exciting that the resources are aligned to NC standards.   

Angela Cogdill 4 years, 5 months ago

#GoOpenNC has the potential to provide excellent resources of content by grade spans on the content, process resources for coordinators on forms, facilitating PD related to BTs and Mentors as tied to classroom management with interventions, lesson planning, coaching, etc.  A method for identifying and labeling should be discussed with some criteria recommended so we can all utilize and share in a consistent manner.  So excited for this opportunity.  I wonder if.... it would have a team to design a format for us all to ensure quality and ease of use?  Maybe not as I am learning and a novice of OER.

Kelly Jones 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree, Angela! I am excited for all this platform can bring to the table. I, too, am having a bit of difficulty navigating with the current format.

JESSICA GILLESPIE-JOHNSON 4 years, 5 months ago

Angela,  It is important for the format to be used with ease as it is rolled out to educators across the state.  As the resource hubs are build and more individuals are able to access the resources, finding materials needs to be easy enough that we do not go down a rabbit hole.

#GoOpenNC would be a great place as a one stop shop to find resources for our BTs and mentors. Everyone in the Hub has materials and resources they use with their BTs, but if we are able to develop folders of best practices the availability of the materials for support would be awesome. I understand the time limit on the school based mentors, this would give them a place to go as well as the lead mentors in the building when providing school level professional development. The information would be right at your fingertips.

DENISE SEARS 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree with your idea of scaffolded support...this site would provide needed support materials and resources for mentors, who in turn will direct their BT's to the site to help them find the materials and resources they need. Oftentimes the lead mentors are new to their "position" as well, so they need help with resources needed to support the other mentors and BT's.

MICHELE HICKS 4 years, 4 months ago

Norma Boone, I agree that "GoOpenNC would be a great place as a one-stop shop. Any tool that can assist novice teachers and mentors would be beneficial in decreasing teacher turnover.

I see #GoOpenNC being extremely helpful in providing mentor coordinators a place to find and share resources to help better support our mentors and BT's. I love the idea of being able to share across the state and find out what is working for other schools and districts to spark ideas for us to use with our mentors and BT's. I envision a one stop shop where we will be able to share to clearly labled folders (classroom management, parent engagement, acedemic/curriculum areas, socio-emotional support, mindfulness, etc) and find wonderful resources. This is very exciting.

WOW, Media coordinators  will eat this resources like it is a christmas cookie waiting for santa on Dec. 24.  I know that My MEdia Coordinator  is always loking for places that will help teachers with curricular resources.  This could be a on stop shop! 

Casie Musgrave 4 years, 5 months ago

I think we can use this platform as a way to organize and share resources. I love the ideas that were floating around last night and this would be a way to see what other counties are doing to support BTs. 

RAE THOMPSON 4 years, 5 months ago

As a resource center for BTs, Mentors, Coaches, and Administrators, #GoOpenNC has the potential to serve as one-stop shopping for support materials.  Particularly if the resources are differentiated.  Often the BTs I work with are at very different levels in their own knowledge and skill development.  When you consider the changes in alternative licensure pathways, the need is compounded.  Being able to pull best-practice-based resources will help all of our novice teachers take the next steps no matter where they are on the continuum, as well as save their support providers valuable time. 

KAREN HEILMAN 4 years, 5 months ago

Rae, you make two great points. First, I also love the "one-stop shop" for support materials, and second, I agree with the need for differentiation. As a classroom teacher, differentiating lessons is one of the most difficult skills to master. The same goes for working with BTs, and having a resource for all levels of knowledge and experience will be super helpful for coaches, mentors, and instructional facilitators. 

Tyler Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

#GoOpenNC can provide multiple levels of support because it provides access to engaging and important resources for Beginning Teachers. Beginning Teachers can find the links to resources very quick and mentors and coaches can use these as tools to help coach the beginning teachers. 

KAREN HEILMAN 4 years, 5 months ago

I work with high school core content teachers and having this resource to share with these teachers, beginning or otherwise, is awesome. #GoOpenNC can provide curriculum resources to classroom teachers but also provide materials for mentor and peer evaluation, walkthroughs, strategies for classroom management, question stems/sentence starters for BT coaches and mentors, etc.  The resources in #GoOpenNC will help mentors and coaches to develop productive relationships with the teachers they are assigned, and as a result, create more successful classroom teachers. 

Janet Dunn 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree with you.  This can help with all these areas such as strategies for classroom management.  This is one area our beginning teachers struggle.  With so many of our new teachers coming in as lateral entry teachers they have not taken any courses to prepare them for how to handle a classroom. Having a resource we can go to with articles right at our fingertips is wonderful. 

Janet Dunn 4 years, 5 months ago

How can we use #GoOpenNC to provide multiple levels of support for those mentoring and coaching our Beginning Teachers?

We can use #GoOpenNC to provide multiple levels of support for those mentoring and coaching our beginning teachers by having resources that will help them in their day to day instruction our beginning teachers need. I can also be a bank of resources that our coaches need to use with the beginning teachers not only as Professional Development but as resources they can pull from to help in any sitution the Beginning teacher might have going on in their classroom such as ADHD child, non-reader, ESL or special needs. 

I am looking forward to these resources.  I work at a K-12 charter school and have multiple levels of BT teachers.  I am constantly trying to find resources for my BTs that will benefit each of them plus keep them engaged and excited to learn.  I think having this at my hands reach and sharing resources is going to have a HUGE benefit and impact for myself and my BTs.

How can we use #GoOpenNC to provide multiple levels of support for those mentoring and coaching our Beginning Teachers?

I feel that GO OPEN NC can be used for teachers with multiple years of experiences- but specifically out BT population.  I can see when mentoring new teachers- resources couls be selected and reviewed together depicting the content resource for fidelity.  I can see, just from the webinar, that there are multiple forms that could be used to guide BT meeting, instructional rounds, as well as  just serve as documentation for a coaching cycle.  Teachers that come to us from outside of NC- could use these resources to aide them in content allignment. The list can go on and on... 

I love that you mention fidelity of resources. It is so challenging for BT's to find quality resources, and they often turn to sources that provide quick and cute materials without considering standards alignment or rigor. With the implementation of #GoOpenNC, our BT's will at least have access to quality resources that have been properly aligned to standards.

Kelly Jones 4 years, 5 months ago

#GoOpenNC gives Beginning Teacher Support advocates an opportunity to tweak and fine-tune the levels and layers of support given to Beginning Teachers. I am excited about shared resources, including activites used for individual support of BTs as well as thoughtful engagement activities for discussing and sharing hot topics.

JENNIFER ABERLY 4 years, 5 months ago

The ideas of how we can use #GoOpenNC to support BT's is exciting. As ideas were shared on the webinar and those posted in this discussion, show that we can develop a vast repository of materials to support mentors, coaches, and BT's. The ability to collaborate across the state will allow us the opporunity to strengthen the support we provide across the state not just in our own districts. We can address the unique needs of BT1's, BT2's, and BT3's. I would also like to see us develop and promote a Beginner to Board program for new teachers interested in National Board Certification. We can provide lesson plans, resources by topics, and PD resources. We could also develop resources for school level administrators to use in supporting new teachers. The possibilities are endless.

ANGELA MARTIN 4 years, 5 months ago

I particulary like the repository, especially for instructional materials.  Hopefully this will be the first "go to" place for lessons and ideas rather than Pinterest!

PAMELA SUTTON 4 years, 5 months ago

#GOOPENNC for BT Support will be an ideal place for "newbie" mentors to find resources. I mentioned that identifying some of the information by the years of experience of the beginning teachers as an area to consider. I mentor a third year teacher and a first year teacher both in first grade and their needs and questions are very different. I also think we should open the HUB or solicit members that are hosting teacher candides for universities as they will have some of the same questions as those that are mentoring BTs.

Just as we expect our students to receive tiered assignments, I look at #GoOpenNC as a method of tiering support for all educators. Some resources can be all inclusive, regardless of experience, background, etc. However, it would be extremely beneficial to have separate folders/hubs/groups to differentiate support. This could be in the form of breaking resources down into grade level groupings, experience levels of BT's, experience levels of coaches, categories of need (behavior, classroom management, etc.).

BETHANY MATKINS 4 years, 5 months ago

I really like how you think of this as tiered support.  I love the idea of breaking resources down by years of experience and so on.  That will be so helpful to everyone!

BETHANY MATKINS 4 years, 5 months ago

We can use #GoOpenNC to provide multiple levels of support for those mentoring and coaching our Beginning Teachers by helping give input and adding to a resource hub for coaches and mentors to find documents vetted to the teaching standards to help track data, support and coach teachers.

JESSICA GILLESPIE-JOHNSON 4 years, 5 months ago

Having the reviewed resources available to mentors and coaches is multiple levels of support.  In my position, I had to search several places to find resources that I felt were going to be beneficial for me in coaching/mentoring.  The resource were not varified or reviewed and so I was making those decision for myself as I attempted to use them.  If #GoOpenNC had been available to me I would have been able to go directly to the hub to find reviewed resources.  In addition, connected educators through the hub is another area of support because sometimes we do not know where to go to get the personal support and connections.  

Jennifer Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

Hi Jessica,

Your post resonated with me because, like you, I would love to have a central “go to” for resources and support.  Everyone has limited time, so it will be a huge benefit to have a place where quality resources are housed.  As a former English teacher, I belonged to the EC Ning where English teachers shared resources and ideas with each other. Once I started participating in those groups, my instructional practice improved dramatically.  I hope #GoOpenNC produces the same results. 

Annemarie Farris 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm hoping that the Hub will provide a place for all that work with Beginning Teachers to go.  I'm hoping there will end up being resources here for mentors, Administrators, teammates and even beginning teachers themselves.  Once we are able to start bringnig teachers to this site, then I can forsee those same people beginning to share resources that they already have within the site.  I like the idea that it won't just be worksheets or activities (like a TPT) but articles and other resources that they can grow from not just "use".

Jennifer Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

I can use #GoOpenNC to provide multiple levels of support for Mentor Contacts, Mentors, and Beginning Teachers.  The teachers and adminstrators leading monthly meetings will have access to a plethora of resources to share. I believe in differentiating meetings based on teacher needs.  For example, first year teachers may need more support around classroom management, pacing, and lesson planning while third year teachers may benefit from resources that support choosing the best instructional strategy to deliver content. Mentors can utilize the  #GoOpenNC platform to research ideas that may help Beginning Teachers grow in their practice. I also like that resources are vetted or evaluated by other educators which may provide more appropriate options.   

VANESSA BARNES 4 years, 5 months ago

Great idea!  Yes, differentiating meetings based on teacher needs would be extremely helpful.  Beginning teachers normally have issues with classroom management, pacing, and lesson planning.  They may be frustrated with all of the demands of the classroom and thoughts of having to take work home.  The process you described would be a great resource.

ANGELA MARTIN 4 years, 5 months ago

I plan to use this site as a resource for both BT's, Mentors and Lead Mentors in our district.  It will be wonderful to have a site with combined resources in order to support a variety of needs.  I am excited to learn more about how this will benefit our teachers. 

DaQuita Pounds 4 years, 5 months ago

We could tier the support resources that we include on GoOpenNC.  For example, maybe we have resources that are recommended for anyone who is a first time mentor or coach.  Then another set of resources for those who are 2nd year and again for 3rd year.  Ideally, something that would also mirror how some districts differentiate their support for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year teachers.  We would simply state this info as recommendations, not strict expectations for who accesses the resources.

KIRON SPENCER 4 years, 4 months ago

DaQuita, you make a great point.  BT support means supporting both BTs and their coaches/mentors.  I love your suggestion for differentiated support for coaches. 

VANESSA BARNES 4 years, 5 months ago

We can us #GoOpenNC to provide multiple levels of support for those mentoring and coaching our Beginning Teachers by providing ways to effectively create lesson plans without being overwhelmed; by providing classroom management resources and support; and by ensuring individuals are up to speed with using engaging and project-based technology applications.

MICHELE HICKS 4 years, 4 months ago

We can use "GoOpenNC to provide multiple levels of support for those mentoring and coaching our Beginning Techers by providing an organized format of resources. The materials can be organized by content areas, breakdown of content topics, Classroom managment, etc. That way, mentors/coaches can go directly to the resource area of their choice, and select what they need to support novice teachers.