Distance Learning

by MARQUIS GRANT 4 years, 1 month ago

What are some ways that you guys have been supporting your EC students during the online learning period? I know that different districts are different things, so it would be great to see what the world of EC is looking like during this time.

Glenna Wozniak 4 years, 1 month ago

Working in a rural district where 60% of our students are at or below the poverty line has created challenges that seem hard to overcome, but with apps and smartphones, I think we are creating more awareness of opportunities to the EC families. I have a self-contained class but have connected to all but one of my students. I know who has internet access and devices. The district is looking for grants to get mobile hotspots and adapters. We have created review packets and 10 days of review work for students. The lesson plans are available online or in the packet for my self-contained students. I use a Facebook page to show our Kindness Challenge project and I will send them a video or the link through the Remind app where I am reading our "Read Across America" project about Circus McGurkus. I think the most important thing I can do for my students is to let them know I miss them and I care about them. Our school is doing a teacher parade on Friday where all families can drive through our parking lot and wave to the teachers. Letting people know we are still connected is probably the best thing we can do, right now.

KAREN KIMBER 4 years, 1 month ago

I love the idea of the teacher parade!  I think that is a great way to show the children that we work with how much we care about them and miss them!  I hope you have a fantastic turn out!

Glenna Wozniak 4 years, 1 month ago

Karen, Are you able to contact your school and get one started? If so, I can post the instruction for our parade up in this group.

MARQUIS GRANT 4 years, 1 month ago

The whole issue with wifi/internet and the proper technology has really been an eye-opener. I feel so bad when I hear parents say that they haven't been able to access their children's assignments because they don't have what they need to get it started. There was also a thing where Spectrum was offering free internet service but, it was later learned, that there wasn't an automatic cut-off so if families forgot to call or called but could not get through, they would incur an internet bill after the offer expired.