"Intercultural Experiences Summary" Apply & Reflect

by Xatli Stox 1 year, 6 months ago

Apply & Reflect activity from the PD Booklet (Page 17), that focuses on the Intercultural Experiences Summary Component. Now that you have explored the component, reflect on the following question:

• How often do your students reflect on their intercultural experiences?

• How do you incorporate this kind of reflection into students’ language learning (e.g. writing projects, role-plays, etc.)?

Please reply to the post to join the discussion or, if you don't have an NCEdCloud account, go to the https://bit.ly/LF4NCinterculturalexpsum Jamboard, and add your responses.

AnnMarie Gunter 1 year, 4 months ago

The "Intercultural Experiences Summary" from LinguaFolio is a good way to help students at the novice level of proficiency reflect in the presentational mode of communication (writing or speaking). As a teacher, I would try to get my students to reflect with this component several times a year, so maybe once a quarter or twice a semester.

For example, I invited a graduate of our high school who worked in France with his company to be a guest speaker in my French classes. He talked about what daily life was like for his family, the path he traveled from our small high school to working for a global company, and what he'd learned along the way. As a way to summarize our discussion with him, we used this component as a writing activity and then we posted our reflections on the bulletin board in the hallway for others to read. In my Level I classes, we used sentence starters for the bulleted list to support writing in the target language.