"Intercultural Encounter Reflection" Apply & Reflect

by Xatli Stox 1 year, 5 months ago

Apply & Reflect activity from the PD Booklet (Page 19), that focuses on the Intercultural Encounter Reflection Component. Now that you have explored the component, reflect on the following questions:

• How do your students reflect on their intercultural encounters? 
  • How do you use this kind of reflection to develop SEL competencies in your language students?

Please reply to the post to join the discussion or, if you don't have an NCEdCloud account, go to the bit.ly/LF4NCinterculturalencref Jamboard, and add your responses.

AnnMarie Gunter 1 year, 4 months ago

The "Intercultural Encounter Reflection" from LinguaFolio can be used in a variety of ways for students to describe their interactions during a cultural encounter in the language they're learning. I like to use this component with students who are at the intermediate levels of proficiency because it can be a good open-ended writing activity that could evolve into many types of presentations or sharing. 

For example, I once did a freewriting activity as a warm-up with this component. I asked students to choose a time or encounter when they communicated with someone who spoke another language. It didn't have to be the language we were learning, but it could be. Then they answered the questions on this sheet in the target language to describe that event and how it made them feel. Over the course of several class sessions, we came back to this freewriting, added more details, shared it with a classmate, and then used it as one option for a polished piece of writing in a project.

Stacy Miller 1 year, 4 months ago

This is a great activity to promote self-awareness, social awareness, and empathy!