Content Focus Group - Webinar 1 Question Two

by Joanna Schimizzi 3 years, 2 months ago

(This discussion post is for our "Content Focus Groups" that are participating in a two-webinar series. Other members are welcome to participate as well!)

What was your previous experience with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar? How did you previously allow use of your intellectual property? How has your thought process changed?

HEATHER SANTOS 3 years, 2 months ago

I knew a little about copyright information based on a PD from our media coordinator on written and digital materials. I had never thought about copyrights based on intellectual property and was mind blown about CC and the tags that were used. I had seen them before but did not know what they were for. Usually, when I make something I don't mind sharing it at all. My original thinking was that as educators we work so hard and don't get paid enough, why shouldn't I just share things to make everyone's life a little easier. My biggest fear with that has always been that I make something and someone else starts charging people for it, because of this thinking I love the fact you can create it, CC it and then make it so that no one can profit off of it.

Joanna Schimizzi 3 years, 2 months ago

Heather -- You have a really important point here about educators and sharing. So many of us want to share openly and the CC licenses are a great way to share ethically, as well as to ensure that others are giving proper credit! I love that you give your media coordinator a shout out! I bet he/she will love chatting with you about this experience! Loop them in :)

Edie Rangel 3 years, 2 months ago

I will be honest I  have  not had experience with copyright or creating resources to post on any platforms prior to this webinar. I hope to learn how to create resources to better support my students and share resources with my collegues. 

Joanna Schimizzi 3 years, 2 months ago

Edie -- You are right that copyright is not really discussed in many of our educator preparation programs! I can't wait to see the resources that you create and share!