Content Focus Group - Webinar 1 Question One

by Joanna Schimizzi 3 years, 2 months ago

(This discussion post is for our "Content Focus Groups" that are participating in a two-webinar series. Other members are welcome to participate as well!)

What is your name, content expertise, current role in education? Which standard from your content area do you feel has the biggest need for resources and why?

ANGELA WILSON 3 years, 2 months ago

My name is Angela Wilson. I hold a Masters Degree in Elementary Education and I teach second grade. I have taught fourth and fifth grade in the past. I feel that there are several resources offered for my content area in second grade but I would like to see more hands-on resources for weather. We have a site dedicated to math and another to reading but we do not have a site just for science or social studies. I would like to see more resources in these areas. I chose weather because it is a subject that is repeated in a testing year. I would like students to have a strong foundation in this area before they dig deeper into this topic in an upper grade.

Joanna Schimizzi 3 years, 2 months ago

Hi Angela -- You have such a wealth of experiences! Your point about hands-on resources for weather is so important, and I'm excited to see you want to dig into this area. You and Natasha would make great partners in this!

NATASHA VON KLINGLER 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm Natasha Von Klingler and I'm a K-5 Instructional Coach. I've taught 2nd and 4th grades and love teaching Science! I feel the biggest standard that needs work is weather since it is such a big standard in 5th grade and needs a solid foundation from the lower grades. 

Joanna Schimizzi 3 years, 2 months ago

Hi Natasha --

I love seeing you back! You are such a valuable member of the GoOpenNC community! Your teachers are so lucky to have you as their coach. And yes for Science! It's one of my passion areas also! Great point about the weather standard and how it is a cumulative standard. What a powerful way to think about which resources need support when curating them!