Content Focus Group - Webinar 1 Question Two

by Joanna Schimizzi 3 years, 2 months ago

(This discussion post is for our "Content Focus Groups" that are participating in a two-webinar series. Other members are welcome to participate as well!)

What was your previous experience with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar? How did you previously allow use of your intellectual property? How has your thought process changed?

ANGELA WILSON 3 years, 2 months ago

I knew about copyright. I have never called someone else's work my own. If I used something I gave credit to the owner. I have never sold another's work or even pieces of it. I will admit to being liberal with pictures from the internet but not to sell or distribute. I used them as writing prompts or funny memes for my welcome slides. That changed when I discovered the Explore button in Google Suite.

As far as my own creations, I have a few things on Teachers Pay Teachers but I generally give my stuff away. I share all of my stuff. I will continue to do that. I do not mind sharing at all. 

NATASHA VON KLINGLER 3 years, 2 months ago

Angela, I'm the same way! I have no problem sharing, and if someone uses something of mine and makes it better, I love it! 

Joanna Schimizzi 3 years, 2 months ago

Angela and Natasha -- I'm so glad that you two connected! Your philosophies and interests are definitely in alignment here! I'm excited to see what might develop out of this! Maybe a perfect storm of awesome content to share with other educators (I couldn't help the science reference!)

NATASHA VON KLINGLER 3 years, 2 months ago

I've had some experience with copyright due to some previous work with GoOpenNC but prior to that, I knew enough not to claim someone's work as my own and to credit. Previously, I'd allow anyone to use whatever I made however they wanted! Now, if it's something I put a lot of time and work into, I'll add CC BY NC ND.