Webinar #1 - Reflect and Engage with Copyright

by Joanna Schimizzi 4 years, 5 months ago

PLEASE reply directly to Joanna's post with your answer. You can reply to other people, but for your initial reply, please reply to Joanna to minimize notifications.

1) What was your previous experience with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar? 

2) How did you previously allow use of your intellectual property? 

3) How has your thought process changed? Please reference both the webinar and the extra resource you looked at.

Mary Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

1) My previous experience with copyright is very limited, something I wasn't overly aware of - much like the intellectual property "ethics".

2) I mostly only used lessons I was provided by WCPSS yet I have used worksheets for example, on a regular basis recently in a whimsical or carefree manner.

3) Wow have my eyes been opened. Hearing the words "violating legal codes" started the interest and became the reason I want to change my ignorant approach.

KRISTI MILLER 4 years, 5 months ago

I have always been cautious as a student and also as a teacher/Instructional Technology Facilitator for 15 years about copyright/intellectual property.  I first remember in my senior year completing a research paper with references and that's all it took for me to learn how to properly give credit.  As a teacher, I would make sure that students would always have a citation/reference page for slideshows, projects, papers, etc.  I now go into classes that I co-teach in and share resources about copyright, public domain and creative commons and share with them the importance of citing their sources and the repercussions.  Through the webinar tonight I would like to lead a professional development with my teachers and really teach them what was shared with us from slide 11 about licensing.  I can find attribution, no derivative, share alike and non-commercial to be very confusing and not sure how to tell the difference between all of them!  I will need to definitely look into learning those differences and the best way to deliver the instruction to my teachers.   

CHRISTINA RARY 4 years, 5 months ago

1) As a math teacher I was always on the search for engaging material. It was always very hard to find with a simple google search so I spend a great deal of time creating material from scratch. I did not put much thought into ideas like copyright but I am gald to learn more about this. In my new roles working with creating schoolwide PBL and working with BTs it is important that I spend time learning and teaching those around me to ensure we are all correctly giving credit copyright/intellectual property. 

2)I share materials from google drive all of the time and allow teachers to make copies of materials that allow them to make edits and adjustments to fit their teaching styles. 

3) I am glad we explored this topic and I will focus on correctly using materials while also sharing this insight to the teachers on my campus. 

Tara Moyer 4 years, 5 months ago

I was aware of the boundaries of copyright and intellectual property but feel it is always good to refresh my understanding in todays changing landscape of where we are finding our resources. Since I am just returning to the field of education after raising my two daughters I have not had to grapple with allowing the use of my intellectual property. It's hard to believe that just 7 years ago I was mainly using only district provided resources and paper items from the district. I am definitely using more items from the internet now so this is a timely discussion. I was having trouble understanding the difference between creative commons and public domain. I will have to re read the article and this discussion board to gain better understanding to be able to share this information with my colleagues more fully. I plan to first share at my PLC the great new resource this will be but within the parameters of proper citation. It is important to give proper credit when appropriate for work that you use. It is also ok to now reinvent the wheel when a great resource is out there. I was confused at the difference between attribution and share derivative and hoping they will be clarified in this thread. 

CATHERINE HAMPSON 4 years, 5 months ago

Previously, I had looked at copyright only as it connected to my creative endeavors (mixed media, sewing, etc) and I genuinely believed anything could be used in the classroom as long as it was for educational purposes.  I have never put any sort of caveat or use limits on anything I created, I just assumed that putting it 'out there' meant anyone could do anything the liked with it.  

Now, since I have started this course and doing research, I realize that I need to be much more thoughtful about how I used other peoples work, making sure it is used in the way THEY intended since it is their intellectual property.  I also need to let people know my own limitations with my work so that I can clearly convey that to others and make their use easier as well.

ELLA WISE 4 years, 5 months ago

My experience with copyright prior to the webinar was very limited. I knew that I could get in trouble for copyright violations so if I had a question or concern I would go to the expert, the media coordinator. I am being facetious, I know we should all be knowledgeable about copyright laws but the rules were so confusing in the past that it was safer to rely on the media person.  

As an ITF I created many training documents that I would watermark when shared, share as PDF, or simply add my name and contact information in the footer.  

Educators need to be able to share and revise materials to meet their students' needs.  I love the idea of a central location to find teacher-created materials and materials that are free!

ERICA COVINGTON 4 years, 5 months ago

I do not have much experience with copyright and intellectual property outside of completing research projects and citing sources properly. I know that if I use something I need to give credit to whomever created it, but as far as the intricate specifications, I probably couldn't tell you where to find it, so I don't tend to use much from the outside sources. I mostly stick to things I create by myself or with my peers, or things that the district issue. 

My intellectual property I give away freely. Everything I create and share is editable and I am not really concerned as to how it is shared or revised.

My thought process has changed. I can now access a wider range of materials and resources for my students if I am not so apprehensive about how to use a resource which will be beneficial in the long run. For my own intellectual property, I am thinking that I can use the OER platform and direct other teachers to find my things here so I don't have to worry about misuse of my materials. I mostly share with NC teachers so access shouldn't be a problem for them. 

MARY DOGGETT 4 years, 5 months ago

1) I think I was like many teacher around me, I didn't think much about it.  I wasn't selling anything therefore I didn't think I was hurting anybody plus I was a poor teacher who was just trying to help students.

2) Anything I created was free for anybody else to use.

3) I realize now people deserve credit for their work.  I read an interesting article the other day about the percent of work on TPT which is actually "stolen" from teachers who freely share materials on twitter, instagram and blogs.  Many teachers/educators aren't looking to get rich but they would like recognition for the hard work.

KATHLEEN WOODARD 4 years, 5 months ago

I was exactly like you! Just trying to teach the content required by any means. Especially since the only thing really giving to us was a pacing guide of the standards. Ha! 

C CHAUNCEY 4 years, 5 months ago

Copyright law is a big component of library science and covered in several classes, so I have that background. I have been appalled at the blatant misuse of copyrighted material in schools, especially by presenters in PD who advocate "borrowing" information from wherever you can find it. 

I have shared created materials via google with teachers in my building or network but I have never created materials and shared them publically.

Wondering how to get my teachers on board.

Jennifer Selfridge 4 years, 5 months ago

1. I was vaguely aware as I knew that I couldn't post purchases from Teachers Pay Teachers on my publicly accessible website.

2. Anything I make I share with my team of teachers, typically via google drive. I have shared items I've made with teachers in other schools and not cared if they modify or share them. I guess I would be annoyed if I found out someone was financially profitting from something I made and shared for free, but I've never thought about it before.

3. Recently I wrote a curriculum unit for the Charlotte Teachers Insitute and used resources from the the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science. I had to pay attention to their permitted uses and the description/examples they provided of what was allowed versus what was not. Going forward I'm going to pay more attention to the types of copyrights I come across as I search for resources. I like how the Open platform uses consistent labeling so as I figure it out, I'll be able to easily understand the permitted uses for the various resources I come across. 

Sylvia Raye 4 years, 5 months ago

1. My previous experience with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar was based on courses that I have taken at NCSU. This information was introduced to me during the semester and was very useful.

2. I used intellectural property for current research.

3. The fact that information is available and can be used in the learning process is amazing, especially when it can be revised, revamped and reinterated to assist students in learning. 

Dr. PATRICK CURLEY 4 years, 5 months ago

I have had training in the use of copyrighted material and have been careful in selecting materials.  I did not really pay much attention to specific levels of copyrights.

WANDA RODRIGUEZ 4 years, 5 months ago

1) As a military spouse, we tend to move frequently, and it seems that I’m in a constant race trying to maintain my performance as an educator as much up-to-date that I can. A few months ago, I took a course related to digital citizenship, to review and “polish” better guidance for digital instruction for my students. It was a great experience, and it forces me to try to connect with entities that promote better uses of open sources and tools that can benefit my classes. However, I feel there is so much more to learn, especially those “gray” zones about intellectual property that were mentioned yesterday during the first webinar.   

2) I usually share my lessons, and other resources via Google Drive. My district uses Google suite services, so it seems time-efficient to maintain everything with the same settings. 

3) I believe my approach to this topic change because I really don’t like the feeling of not having the appropriate preparation to disclose and clarify doubts of my students when using certain materials/sources. 

SHELLY MALONEY 4 years, 5 months ago

1) I had very little exposure to copyright or intellectual property use other than a crash course at a previous school. I had always understood copyright to mean that you couldn't copy someone's work word for word or picture for picture.

2) I have always allowed my work to be used as it needed to be, although I do ask my students not to copy my paintings, drawings and sculptures exactly but to use them as sources of inspiration.

3) After the webinar, it made me realize that there were several ways I could protect my own work from duplication as well as have access to others' ideas, including the one I found on Pop Art that relates to the topic we are discussing in class now. I am more aware that the laws are in existence to protect others and myself.

GENAL WEST 4 years, 5 months ago

1) What was your previous experience with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar? 

Prior to the webinar, my experience has been varied. Teaching a photography class, copyright is a big deal... and on the other hand, in the art foundations classes, it is a slightly more complicated process. Artists steal. That's kind of what they do, we "appropriate" so to speak. However, the end goal is usually to make it unrecognizable from the original. Even Steve Jobs said, “Good artists copy, great artists steal.”  So, copyright is an interesting issue in the art world... 

When it comes to my personal art, I do what any other artist does - Put it out there and hope that someone likes it enough to buy it and if someone else steals it, hope they either give you credit or at least a cut off the top! LOL! As for my teaching resources, I've always been a believer in sharing. If it helps me in the classroom and works, why not help out a fellow teacher? They are teaching the same generation of students that I am, we are shooting for the same goals for them. Why not help each other in the pursuit of these common goals? It takes a village after all.

3) How has your thought process changed? Please reference both the webinar and the extra resource you looked at.

I'm not sure my thought process has changed... Does it need too? Like I said, as an artist, I have a complicated relationship with copyright and have a tendancy to treat it as a situational issue.

NICOLE TELSON 4 years, 5 months ago

1. I honestly never understand why county wide and administration was against teachers pay teachers used in the classroom until I understand the copy right problems a district can face.  

2.  Previously if I found something whether I bought it or not I would share a copy with another teacher from my grade level. My idea was to have a united grade level of materials. 

3. I would still love to share material and help my fellow teachers with materials but now I will me more conscious of whether I'm allowed to share it and maybe look at other places for the resources like the hub. 

KAY CRICKMORE 4 years, 5 months ago

My previous experience with copyright and intellectual property is limited. I realize how ignorant I was about it during the webinar.

I have never put any limitations on my intellectual property. I have shared and never thought about it again.

I know realize that there is a process and a ‘code’ that exists for this purpose. I have printed whatever I wanted to off of the internet, now I know that I need to be aware.

JANICE BERNIER 4 years, 5 months ago

I am like you--I just share and never really think about it again. I do have friends who make money on teachers pay teachers--I am just not that motivated.

I had no idea about the codes until I got involved in this work! I knod of feel like--"How could I not know this?"

Christy Brown 4 years, 5 months ago

1. One of my husband's clients was just sued for using a photo on their website without copyright permission, so copyright has been a huge source of discussion in my life recently. Wow, you can really get into some deep legalities when you step outside of what's permissible. Different context here, but copyright is copyright, no matter the realm. 

2. Honestly, I've never thought about it. I've never considered not allowing other to use my property if it was going to make life easier for them and especially, benefit children. 

3. The webinar last night was a huge eye-opener for me, even after what my husband's client has dealt with. Via our discussion last night and the extra resources, I'm intrigued as to why people might choose one copyright standard over another for intellectual property. I'm interested in learning more about the benefits of each copyright standard. 

SANDERS BENKWITH JR 4 years, 5 months ago

I knew about copyright and had a limited understanding of the creative commons licencing, but I didn't realize the number of different types of copyright and licensing structures there were, nor did I give much thought to what each licensing type allowed. This is an area most teachers probably have a poor understanding.

Most of the work I've created I've shared freely. If I was to align my use of IP with the creative commons descriptions, I've always used attribution and share alike. 

I've realized that I need to be more cognizant about the wishes of the content creator and make sure I'm using materials in the way the original creator wanted. The webinar helped me realize the various licensing styles, and I have since gone and looked at a lof of the resources I've used in my class and tried to figure out what licensing structure the original creator expected people to adhere to. One thing I've noticed is that it can be difficult to find the licensing expectation on works that don't come from repositories like the OER or sold through offical companies. If I was to guess, this is becaus many teachers who create and post their own material aren't thinking about licensing, or aren't aware that they should be thinking about licensing.

Gwendolyn Ennis 4 years, 5 months ago

1.  My previous experience with copyright and intellectual property is limited.  

2.  I usually just put my work out there for anyone with access to use.

3.  I think that my thought process has changed somewhat.  In the future I will add copyright information to my work and I will be sure to give others the credit they deserve as well.  In using goopennc, it is important that all users are aware of the rules!

KATHLEEN WOODARD 4 years, 5 months ago

1.) Before the webinar I was aware of copyright and intelllectual property. I did spend a lot of time using google and getting ideas from there, as well as creating materials myself. I have taught in Guilford County as a 5th grade teacher for 7 years. I am teaching only Science this year and I LOVE it.

2.) I have allowed use of my intellectual proprerty freely, and have never really thought about putting a copyright on it.

3.) I LOVE the idea of creative commons. With the developement of technology, this is a necessary next step. I am happy to be a part of it.

Angelia Howard 4 years, 5 months ago

I was aware of copyrights as a Cheer Coach but I knew just enough to be dangerous lol.  I am a sharer. Spread the knowledge who ever thought about copyrighting my stuff guess i was a cc by lol.  Know see it is much more complicated and look forward to seeing the big picture. And I am excited to be able to collaborate and remix. 

Neukisha Motsinger 4 years, 5 months ago

Before the webinar, I hadn't given much thought to educational copyright issues. I have even posted TpT purchases or pdf files of the textbooks I'd found on my website for students to review later. Since I'm in my second year of teaching, I've never sold any of my original work. 

My mindset has definitely changed after the webinar. Now, I'll be more cognizant of what I'm doing and the harm it could cause to both me and my school. 

MITCHELL OWENS 4 years, 5 months ago

1.  I have used the creative commons website looking for images, and have used Primary Source documents found through the library of Congress.  I have also used materials from sites like icivics and pblworks that allow free usage of materials, making direct reference to their creation of the material.

2. If I have created items I allow the teachers around me and that I know to use it.  I think that if I create something that works there's no reason to not allow my collaborating teachers to not use it.

3. I think that using someone elses creation in the classroom is important because of time constraints and the recreating the wheel aspect.  We should all be more willing to share with each other.  If you want your website to be posted in a corner of the sheet so be it.  But share what you have that works.

ANGELA PAUL 4 years, 5 months ago

1. My only experience in dealing from copyright/licensing was when I was a dance educator. I would have to be very careful in how I used music both in my classroom and in performances. I also had to be very aware of how I incorporated already existing stories/texts within movemet-based performances. 

2. I have never considered if or how other people use my intellectual property. As the only dance teacher in my school for a decade, I didn't run into that situation. 

3. I am now very aware of the need to be cognisent of licensing for both how I use other's materials and how others use mine. Until the webinar, I had no idea how easy it is to indicate what type of licensing you want to have for your own work, and I would have never known what those letter codes meant when looking at someone else's materials. I have even already had conversations with my team mates about what we learned on Wednesday. 

Jeremy Wright 4 years, 5 months ago

1. My previous knowledge was very little with copyright.  So I was very enlightened to copyrights after the webinar.

2.  Usually, it was with other teachers in my PLC so we openly shared our work.

3. I am definitely more aware of material I may be using of others. But for my own I don't think it has changed I still will share with my PLC.

TRISHA SMITH 4 years, 5 months ago

1) I was always aware of copyrights, however have known a lot of people that bend the rules because of school funding. 

2) I share with co-workers for use in their classrooms. 

3) Yes, people spend countless hours creating material and it should not be used without their permission. 

STEPHANIE WALLACE 4 years, 5 months ago

I was in the first group of GoOpen teachers, so I very much enjoyed the activitiy we did in that webinar as well. Teaching for NCVPS, I am very well-versed in copyright as it pertains to giving credit and choosing resources. I am not as well-versed in considering my own intellectual propery and how I would license it. The webinar, the linked game, and the videos are helpful. The news article about the school removing the copyright information was horrifying. I thought a lot of about resources like Teachers Pay Teachers and various Instagram sites - I honestly didn't think about my own intellectual property and how I want it used, so I doubt many other teachers do either. That is not enforced as much as making sure we aren't violating copyright.

Amber Blashaw 4 years, 5 months ago

1) I have always been cautious because I was aware of copyrights...I learned more about intellectual property during this webinar, because I was not as familar with it.

2) As a preschool teacher I have created my resources from scratch and I would share with my teaching team.

3) The webinar has made me be more awear of others and thier creations. I really liked the resources on the HUB because I learned alot about the differnt type of sharing methods. I think it is a great resource for educators to share with others. 

LAKEISHA GALLOWAY 4 years, 5 months ago

1.   I have had no expierence at all.  But am aware of copyright laws for resources 

2.  Shared resources with any and everyone who wanted things I created.

3.  Given the information from the webinar , I would have loved to be given credit to see my "name in lights"!!.  I wouldn't care about what they did with the information as long as I was given credit.

ASHLEY GRANT 4 years, 5 months ago

1. I honestly did not know all that I probably should have known regarding copyright and how to use materials. I always complied with terms of use agreements and completed the basic professional development required each year. I learned several things about copyright that I did not know during the webinar this week. 

2. I have always shared my own intellectual property openly with teachers in my district. I also sell on Teachers Pay Teachers ,and my terms of use varies depending upon the product. 

3. This definitely opened my eyes to see that I need to be more careful and deliberate when using matherials others have created. I also need to be more vigilant about my students giving proper credit when using information that is not fair use. 

LINDA NELSON 4 years, 5 months ago

My previous school did a brief PD regarding copyright and intellectual property.

I have used the CC by on a few documents that I have created.

I should use this more. I spend countless hours creating documents and activities and usually share with others. I need to remember to give myself credit.

ROBBIN BRILEY 4 years, 5 months ago

My previous experience with copyright and intellectual property is that I am a published author through both Amazon and TPT whereby I have designed hand drawn items that teachers can then allow their students to color or they can print out on colored paper to use in their classrooms. What I have created in that manner is not something that can be remixed or reworked because of the design element involved and art involved.  However, I share resources with my colleagues all the time and tell them to make it their own if it's something I have created.  If it is something that I have bought through TPT or found from another resource I make sure I use it as it is intended without altering it from the authors requirements.  I see the all sides of having resources available to use as it is and to remix to make it my own as well.  Sometimes, if it's not broke there is no need to fix it.  From the very beginning of my educational career it has always been highly stressed to not break copyright laws.  Even as an artist I have to be mindful in that regard as well to ensure I am not infringing on someone's design/creation for profit, whether it be the small in home artist or the big corporations.  So I totally get this process fully.

JENNIFER CAHOON 4 years, 5 months ago

So I have taken a few online classes about the copyright laws, but do not feel like an expert yet - but maybe understand more than the complete novice. I haven't thought about anyone actually using my material because I don't think my work has been "copy interesting". Also I don't think I have put anything out there on the web yet. I have been thinking about it more lately though and have wondered how I would feel about others using my information or lesson plans.  I have always been concerned about how to give attribution. I like how this showed how it is easy and simple to give attribution.

AMY COLLINS 4 years, 5 months ago

1) My previous experience with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar was mostly with classroom usage.  I knew what could and couldn't be used in the classroom, and I teach my students how to cite their works.  I have always been careful about sharing material with other teachers. 

2) Previously, I have allowed free use of my intellectual property with team mates and coworkers. I have never published much so I haven't really thought too much about it. 

3) My thought process changed pretty dramatically in that I never knew about open resources and all the codes we learned.  I will be more aware of these in the future. The resources I have searched were very useful, and it is helpful to know what I can and cannot do with them.

Melissa Larkin 4 years, 5 months ago

My previous experience with copyright and intellectual property is what my tech and media specialists have exposed to me/ reviewed with me. More of an annual BOY presentation that I tried to keep in mind throughout the year...

Previously, I have been incredibly open. If someone thinks that a resource I've created would help the learning of another student or classroom, I want them to have it. 

My thought process hasn't changed that much, but I do like the idea of tagging my resources so others knew how I felt about sharing/ remixing. 

Marcia Tomkinson 4 years, 5 months ago

1) I hate to say I have been a little naive about the copyright. It has definitely opened my eyes.

2) I share everything I create. I never have thought about copyrighting. I just feel as a teacher we should always help each other out. We are a teacher family and should always share and collaborate. 
3) The webinar definitely opened my eyes to looking at things more closely. I definitely liked the coding we looked at. That's a great way to stay aware.

KIMBERLY FERGUSON 4 years, 5 months ago

My previous experience with copyright was from a staff development that we learned about images on the internet not being open for all to use at anytime.  We learned how to do an advance search for images that the copyright would allow us to use the image in our classroom.  I have never had any experience with intellectual property.  That part is totally new for me!

Since the intellectual property portion of the webinar was new for me, I have never thought about allowing or not allowing my work in other places.

My thought process has changed!  I now will think about the different ways that I can allow/ not allow my intellectual property.  Depending on the work, I may allow use of it freely, or I may allow use without changes.  I know I will think about TPT in a different way. The devolper has worked hard and should be acknowledged for their work.

Damien Perez 4 years, 5 months ago

Hello Joanna,

The last webinar was interesting and informative. Here are my thoughts: 

1- I have some experience utilizing copyright material for various courses I taught. I understand the basics of copyright and intellectual property, however, I never really reviewed the topic as we did in the webinar. 

2- My previous intellectual property was military related (when I was a military instructor). Anything created became property of the governement. Though I have shared resources in various courses, my experience with personal copyright and intellectual property is minimal. 

3- Webinar was informative, addressing multiple types of copyright/intellectual property. I am usually careful in following guidelines for resources I use. Though, this webinar information has me considering how I am going to apply to materials I create in the future. 

Julie South 4 years, 5 months ago

1. My previous experience with copyright and intellectual property was none. I never really paid attention. 

2. I always allowed anyone to use my intellectual property with no restrictions. 

3. I have started to think about how I would like to allow my intellectual property. I have thought about the times that I might have taken someone else's work and changed it when they did not want that to happen. 

Emily Davidson 4 years, 5 months ago

1) Simply noticing copyright warnings on things and citing ALL THE THINGS in college!

2) When I worked in a lab, anything I did just became a part of the lab - they still have my notebook and everything! I just kind of accepted it as part of scientific research culture.

3) I had no idea there were so many different categories of creative commons licenses! I did not realize that some things under a CC license could not be altered in any way, so I will watch out for that now

JANICE BERNIER 4 years, 5 months ago

Not much really--I do pay for multiple licenses when I purchase materials of teachers pay teachers because teachers need all the money they can get for all the hard work they do. It is unethical to share purchased materials when you only bought one license.
 I just share whatever I have--I do not care how it is used.
I think many of us do not really care about the credit, but for those who do--it is important to have rules and guidelines to follow. I think people have a right to license their work how they want.

MARY ROSINSKI 4 years, 5 months ago

1) My previous experience with copyright and intellectual propery prior to this webinar was when I worked as an evening supervisor in a college library.  This was drilled into the students and with good reason.  I knew that it was important and I knew that it was something that was we all should be aware of when researching at the college level; however the connection that it has to our own lessons had not ever really occured to me. 

2)I am always willing to share ideas, songs, social stories that I have created.   I have thought of it as not wanting to have any of my fellow teachers have to "recreate the wheel" if I have something that can help them in the classroom.   

3) Now that I have had some better understanding fromt he webinar and in resources that  I have googled;  I am very much interested in how the whole concept really works in our field of education and how we can collaborate without having someone take our resources and own them without giving us credit.  Kinda makes me want to take some ownership of my materials. ;)

SUZANNE RAXTER 4 years, 5 months ago

1) My previous experience with copyright and intellectual property outside of completing research projects and citing sources properly is limited. I know that if I use something I need to give credit to whomever created it, but as far as the detailed specifications I always have to look it up or ask assistance of our media specialists for assistance.

2) My intellectual property I give away to anyone that asks me to share with them. Everything I create and share is editable and I am not really concerned as to how it is shared or revised as long as it is getting into the hands of students.

3) After Mondays class my thought process has changed. With the starting of this GO OPEN NC resource I will be able to find effective lessons and resources that I can implement in my daily science lessons while following copyright laws in the process.

JILLIAN MUSA 4 years, 5 months ago

Previous experiences was minimal in that I only had had the standard PD from the school once a year (or every other year) regarding copyright laws with a handout that had to be kept throughout the year. Printouts & laws were also posted in the copy room, but never anything significant. 

I always used Google Drive to share my intellectual property, or I shared the link for a resource for colleagues to download their own materials. 

My thought process has changed as I have become more informed, however I wonder how I will get others in my school on board with the change. 

ISAAC STEWART 4 years, 5 months ago

As a Barbershop singer, I have had to deal with copyright clearances for both purchasing and arranging music, as well as performance fees and such for those songs sung.  We pay per-person release fees for sheet music and learning tracks.  As the manager for my wife's art business, I have learned some about copyright in terms of reproduction of work and how to license the artwork.  She completed a series of coloring book pages for the Lutheran Church NC Synod as a part of their Ever Reforming 500th anniversary curriculum and we released the pages under CC BY NC SA.

In Education, I have had very little original intellectual property.  Anything I have put together has been conglomerated from years of experience applying the work of others.  As a result, I try to share it with others.  I don't feel like I need any attribution.

I should probably do a better job of showing sources of my information and sharing where documents, images, and resources come from, but who has time to go back and fix all of the stuff I do?

LaNita Potter 4 years, 5 months ago

I was aware of it, but not to the degree that I am now.  I feel that I learned another layer to the subject. 

I honestly just used the material as I needed it, without giving it a second thought.  

I am more sensitive to the importance of the issue.  I can now better understand why it is not kind to just use the materials that I did not create.  I would not want somebody to use my materials without using the learned guidlines today.

Cindel Chavers 4 years, 5 months ago

1) My county has us watch Safeschool Training videos and one of them deals with copyright. Also, this year they had an entire PD on copyright laws.

2) Previously, I only exchanged items with my team members (9th grade team) or my school in a PLC group. My county has us to put passwords on all of our websites for student access only.

3) I am more open to sharing my resources, ideas, and lessons with being able to put creative commons license trademarks on them to indicate how they are used. I like that I can get credit and be sharing and learning with others.

DAWN PRICE 4 years, 5 months ago

I had no idea about copyright and intellectual property rights before the webinar. I have used so many resources and wonder now if I used some of them in the wrong manner. I never put anything on my intellectual property. I have just never thought about it. I would not mind someone using my materials, I would like credit for what I have done though.

When I looked at the resource, I immediately went looking for how I could use this first as this may be something I change up a little bit. There were no copyright things found anywhere on the resource. Since it was from Utah lesson plans from the early 2000s and updated, I assume it is open. Then after the webinar, I don't want to assume it is open and use it wrong. Before I would have just used the resource and changed what I needed to.

Alexis Hawkins 4 years, 5 months ago

1. Our media coordinator has always been really good about making sure we understand everything that has to do with copyright.

2. I have always openly shared anything I had created.

3. I didn't know there were so many different ways to label sources. Since I have been sharing openly I may think about at least labeling my things I create to at least be credit given but I agree that people should be allowed to make changed to content because every class and teacher is different.

ELIZABETH CROSS 4 years, 5 months ago

I was certainly aware of copyright... maybe just not quite aware of the seriousness and of all the different types prior to the webinar.  I have always allowed anyone to freely use and edit any of my materials.  My thought process has changed - the webinar really opened my eyes!  I have never really used sites like TPT.  In the CTE world, we just share with everyone.  We must really be cautious with what we use and how we share it.  

Rebecca Evans-Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

Once upon a time, many years ago, I toyed with notions of becoming an IPR lawyer when I was an undergrad. Alas, I chose education and have been an advocate for clear attribution and honoring IPR for those who create. As a middle school teacher, my students understood the concept of plagarism, but struggled more with the nuianced idea of plagarism as not giving credit when you use ideas, even in part. I don't think my view on the matter has changed much, but I do like the idea of conspicuous attribution and will be taking that into my wheelhouse as an instructional coach.

Amy Rickard 4 years, 5 months ago

I attended the US PTO weeklong workshop in Dallas, TX, several years ago so I've had some experience with copyright and IP. We did not talk a great deal about creative commons so this webinar was helpful. 

I'm not sure I had any specific protocol for allowing use of my own IP. I'm not even sure I have really thought a great deal about it.  I do think I would want my materials to stay intact rather than being re-mixed most of the time. 

I now am thinking a bit about how I would like to tag any materials I create. I also need to be aware of any changes in the rules from the state or my school system concerning the creation of materials. 

Janet Frazier 4 years, 5 months ago

1) What was your previous experience with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar? I was previously a media coordinator, so as the person who focused on legal use of resources at our school, I am keenly mindful of property that doesn't belong to me. I typically err on the side of citation and cautioning others to be careful so that we are legal! 

2) How did you previously allow use of your intellectual property? I have not thought much about my educational intellectual property, as I have readily shared what I created in the past. I am also an author, and would be much more protective of that since I am creating with a different end in mind--my own novel.

3) How has your thought process changed? Please reference both the webinar and the extra resource you looked at. I guess my thought process has not changed tremendously, as I was aware of the Creative Commons and used it some previously with its notations. It did remind me of some of the meanings, which I feel that I need to be more mindful of. Commonsensemedia.org has an excellent resource designed for middle school (https://www.commonsense.org/education/digital-citizenship/lesson/the-four-factors-of-fair-use) that would be helpful for middle school, high school, or adults to review the fair use laws. I think we have to be explicit and intentional and begin teaching these principles to students early so that as adults it will be more natural for them to take care to be legal and ethical with copyright!

Alicia Hamel 4 years, 5 months ago

1) What was your previous experience with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar? I have taught an information technology course and one of the things we go over is copyrighting. So I have taught students a little about copyright laws and the integtrity of intellectual property as an ethcial isuue. 

2) How did you previously allow use of your intellectual property? I allow fellow teachers at my school that share the same courses to utilize work I have created myself. 

3) How has your thought process changed? Please reference both the webinar and the extra resource you looked at. There is nothing wrong with sharing and recreating, just be smart about it and know there are laws to enforce copyrighting and to protect your intellectual proprty. 

AMY BURGER 4 years, 5 months ago

I was acquainted with Copyright and Intellectual property prior to the webinar but did not always follow it

I didn't care if people used my intellectual property because I think teachers should all help each other

My thought process has changed. I will not be so loose with the law because it is very important to pay attention to copyright and fair use policies

Katherine Cartwright 4 years, 5 months ago

I was very familiar with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar.  I post a lot of student work online, and I have tried to be familiar with it for that reason.  Also, I have taught my students about it in an effort to keep them out of hot water when they are creating digital content that will be shared with a large audience.

Honestly, I don't think that I thought too much about it, especially early in my career.  If I created something I would share it with my co-workers.  Now that we are in the age of teachers creating additional income, I don't know if I would be as quick to share things if I were a new teacher.  I have a different position now, so I create content for other teachers frequently as part of my role.  I am sure that they modify what I create to best suit them and their students, and I am ok with that.  

I'm not sure that my thought process has changed a whole lot, simply because of how familiar I was with copyright and fair use prior.   I do think it is important for creators to be able to protect their work, but I also think that in education, we could work together a bit better than we do.  Everything is SO commercialized at this point, and smaller counties simply can afford to purchase a lot of the resources that are available.  Not to mention that as things get tweaked here and there, the resource generally becomes better.

MARYKATE HOLDEN 4 years, 5 months ago

1) I have published laboratory manuals so am familiar with copyright an dintellectual property. I was using online platforms such as Moodle for a long time before intellectual property rights became such an issue.

2) I have allowed use of my imtellectual property for other educators on a request basis only. But I have shared materials at professional conferences such as the NCSTA PDI Share-A-Thons with the request that the teacher using my materials give me some credit.

3) I'm not sure that my thought process has really changed. I want to share materials with other teachers who have a need or could use my expertise. My published works (such as my lab manuals) are copyrighted.

William Oates 4 years, 5 months ago

Teaching students how to correctly cite non text sources for papers/projects.

Went with the assumption of giving source under fair use for academic reasons.

Everything has a specific way it is allowed to be used, some can be used in any way with source given. Other are more specific as to how. 

KIMBERLY CRANK 4 years, 5 months ago

1.  I had a very limited knowledge of copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar.  I know about copyright from printed materials, but very little about digital materials.

2.  Most of the material I have I just shared with colleagues via Google Docs or I have done screen casts that are on my Google Suite Youtube channel.

3.  I will now be more careful about where I get information and ideas.  I will make sure I follow the proper guidelines as set by the creator. 

SARA RHYNE 4 years, 5 months ago

1.) As a school level librarian our evaluation instruments deal heavily with copy right and the understanding of this topic within a school setting. 

2.) Open source remix

3.) It is great to see the copyright as a part of thought process for resources. 

Jen Presley 4 years, 5 months ago

1. My previous experience with copyright has been fairly limited and, to be honest, usually confusing.

2. I've never put a copyright on my intellectual property.

3. I need to be able to better understand the guidelines and resources available both for  my own benefit and to educate those I work with.

Amanda Powers 4 years, 5 months ago

I knew that I had to give credit to other people's ideas when writing an essay and that copying music or movies insead of buying them is frowned upon. In the classroom, I just assumed I could use and copy whatever I found online that was free.

To my knowlege, anyone who wanted to use my intellectual property could do so.

I did not know there were so many categories of copyright laws in terms of intellectual property. I now understand that one must consider how their property should be shared prior to sharing it.

MELISSA CHAPPELL 4 years, 5 months ago

1) I haven't had too much experience with it. Citing sources in papers is about the most. 

2) I don't think I've had any but I always share my documents and ideas with others!

3) I am very glad we are talking about this topic because I don't think many people are really aware of the laws and what the copyright symbols mean or even what to look for. 

Barton Copeland 4 years, 5 months ago
  1. I honestly cannot remember the last time I received instruction or guidance on copyright and intellectual property policies.
  2. I only shared intellectual property with close, trusted friends or colleagues.  
  3. I still need more time to review and learn the policies before publishing anymore intellectual property.  
Miranda Pierce 4 years, 5 months ago

1.  My previous experience with copyright was limitied to what I know from college and from what I heard from other teachers on Teachers pay teachers.

2. Anything that I've made and given to other teachers, I just shared with them and allowed them to make copies.  I've never put my work on anywhere like teacher pay teachers.

3. My thought process has changed.  I now know how to easily know what a resources copyright is by looking at the pictures located on the item.  I feel that system is easy to use and be able to teachers other teachers how to understand.

PAULA MCLAMB 4 years, 5 months ago

I knew there was copyrighted material but I didn't really pay much attention to it. If I did run across something that I was was copyrighted, I tried not to use it. 

I have always freely shared my "creations." I've never thought about putting a copyright on it.

Wow! There's so much to learn about the copyright process. I don't think I will change how I feel about freely sharing my materials, but I guess it would be nice to have credit. Also, when I use other's materials, I will be aware of the copyright and how (if)I can use the materials. I am glad there are universal guidelines that everyone can use so that understanding the copyright/creative commons use will be easy to do.

Beth Hodges 4 years, 5 months ago

1)I have no prior knowledge

2)I usually just shared it in email or through Google

3)I think it would be nice to get credit for things I have worked on. I always give credit where credit is due. It would be nice to be recognized for my hard work. 

ALISON KILLY 4 years, 5 months ago

1. Prior to the webinair I knew that copyright was important and that materials created by companies had copyrights. I also knew that items on Teachers Pay Teachers had copyrights.

2. I have always allowed other people to use my intellectual property if they wish. I think that we should help other teachers as much as we are able to. 

3. I feel like my thought process has not changed much. I think we should help each other instead of being silos. 

MARQUIS GRANT 4 years, 5 months ago

My experience with copyright and intellectual property has been with my personal work. It was a really big deal when I wrote my book and I had to sign all sorts of forms. When I worked on my dissertation, I wanted to use DIBELS as an instrument to collect data concerning students' reading. I had to write to the company and get expressed permission to use their materials.

Most of my articles have been open-access. I co-created a course for Grand Canyon University and, because it was created specifically for the school, I relinquished all intellectual property rights.

I don't think that my thought process has necessarily changed. The case in Texas is a huge eye-opener because of the legal process and subsequent awarding of damages to the company that owned the copyright for the materials that had been used without permission. The resource that I looked at was actually one that I had remixed from the previous academy. It was something others who remixed it found challenging because they did not feel comfortable being named as the "author" for material they had not originally created.

LISA GODLEY 4 years, 5 months ago

1) What was your previous experience with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar? I was familiar with copyright laws and intellectual property before participating in the webinar.  I was not aware of the different types of copyrights laws, etc.

2) How did you previously allow use of your intellectual property? I freely give away to things that I have created to help others.  It doesn't bother me if someone tweaks it, etc.  Sometimes, I will use the tweaks to improve the original copy of something.

3) How has your thought process changed? Please reference both the webinar and the extra resource you looked at.  I didn't realize the different ways to share and not share copyrighted material.  This will make me more conscientious of using others' work and if I have the right to "tweak" it or not.

ALEXANDRIA SEYMOUR 4 years, 5 months ago

1. I have limited experience with copyright and itellectual property. I have thought of it as not copying or using/changing someone else's work without permission.

2. I have shared most of my resources with co-workers through Google Drive.

3. I would still like to share resources with my co-workers. I have never really thought about what they may be doing with it or who they may be sharing them with.

LINDY KIRKMAN 4 years, 5 months ago

I have worked a lot with copyright with school and my students.  We have to do lessons throughout the school year on copyright and what you can and cannot do.

I have never thought about my intellectual property.  Currently I have been making my google documents view only to help others not copy my stuff.  Sometimes I will make them a PDF as well.

It has change somewhat because I am now more aware of making sure others are not copying my work.  I am also more aware about what I use myself, and make sure I give credit where and when credit is due.

STACY LOVDAHL 4 years, 5 months ago

My previous experience with copyright and intellectual property could be characterized as close my eyes and hope for the best. I did not have much training and hoped that my understanding of fair use was close enough. On the other hand, I have a passionate belief in ubiquitous sharing and giving of credit. My thought process has changed in that I am MUCH more aware of the pitfalls and I appreciate the creative commons licensing system even more.

MELISSA LORD 4 years, 5 months ago

Having created website in the past and a business, I know a bit about copyright. 

I have always had open access but would limit doc changes depending on the item. If I used Word to create, I would lock changes if needed. 

If I was creating items that required much time, absolutely. I don't have time to do that for now. I feel like I can share with others because I hope they would do so as well - on smaller products. I feel like we are all on the same page, too though, and to be fined for violating cr is not something I find appealing. I do understand getting recognition or payment for self created work. I quickly remembered from my website days: "Works created on or after January 1, 1978 are covered automatically whether or not they have a copyright notice."  Just because it does not state the copyright code, don't kid yourself. Be safe and check.

ANNIE MCENTYRE 4 years, 5 months ago

I was clueless about the laws surrounding copyrighting. I just knew we could not share materials that are copyrighted. I am fairly familiar with intellectual property, I create materials for my class all the time and share with colleagues. I have been told several times that I should protect my resources and copyright them. This comes from a lawyer friend of mine who thinks teachers should receive credit for the materials they personally create. I do not mind sharing my self-made resources, teaching can be challenging, why make it more so by not sharing. PLC meetings would be a much different experience if we as teachers decided to copyright all of our intellectual property and not share it willingly for the betterment of the students we are serving.

Jessica Minto 4 years, 5 months ago

Honestly, my previously experience with copyright and intellectual property prior to the webinar was focused just on writing research papers in college and high school. Make sure to properly cite all my sources was my main concern. I previously allowed people to make copies and edit any material that I had created. My thought process hasn't changed in that I am fine with sharing my ideas and resources, but it has changed in regards to how I am using work created by others. 

Tanya Green-McPherson 4 years, 5 months ago

I have no previous experience with copyright before. It was quite interested to learned about the ethic of the work of others. I would usually just go online and use anything that suits my students need, without thinking about giving credit to the owner of the materials that I's used. Now that I'm aware of these things, I've already shared the knowlegde with my colleagues. I'm elated to leanred that NCDPI are now having a central/common place where educators can go to serach and use materials freely in the clasroom. I found a lot of resouces on heat transfer that I like already and I'm feeling more comfortable about teaching the middle school science jnow ust knowing there's a place to go.