Webinar #2 - PBL Hub Engagement

by Joanna Schimizzi 4 years, 5 months ago

1) Please reply directly to this discussion prompt. 

2) Please continue the conversation by replying to at least one other person.

As you review the criteria for High Quality PBL, provide a brief summary that you would use when helping a colleague understand the difference between “doing projects” and authentic project-based learning. Include why you think that’s important for this work in the PBL Hub.

NICOLE TELSON 4 years, 5 months ago

To determine whether something is classfied as project based learning I would say that it requires collaboration and teacher guidance. It is not done at home or by yourself with the expectation of a finished product. The most important thing about project based learning is the process and how it is student centered compared to a project which would be teacher directed. I also think project based learning is important because of its connection to real world experiences/problems. It helps students see the connection that learning is used outside the classroom to help solve problems. 

GENAL WEST 4 years, 5 months ago

It's all about the journey, not the destination.  :)

ANNIE MCENTYRE 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree that it's about the overall student journey through the PBL process. Many times I see beautiful projects delivered to my classroom. I can tell that the parents put in a lot of hard work and time, not my students. I'm curious at times to see what my parents have learned through the project.  

PAULA MCLAMB 4 years, 5 months ago

@Genal West--What a great way to describe the difference between doing projects and PBL!

MARY ROSINSKI 4 years, 5 months ago

Espeically at the PreK level.  Children need that support and guidance from the teacher.  The beauty of the PBL is that the children are able to explore in a very natural and organic way.  They are able to ask each other probing questions and test if something will work.  The hands on is such a wonderful way to have children learn in Prek and with PBL it just seems worth the work.  

LINDY KIRKMAN 4 years, 5 months ago

As you review the criteria for High Quality PBL, provide a brief summary that you would use when helping a colleague understand the difference between “doing projects” and authentic project-based learning. Include why you think that’s important for this work in the PBL Hub.

I am looking forward to review "High Quality PBLs" and remixing others.  When helping colleagues understad the difference between "Doing projects" and authentic project-based learning I would make sure that they understand first that PBL can either be problems or projects.  Problems are more short-term addressing one-two standards and lasting one-two days.  Projects are more long term and could last up to a week or so, or however long you need it to last.Projects cover a lot of standards.  While doing a normal everyday "project" is engaging for students, PBLs are more authentic and more meaningful because of the learning that happens along the way.  I have been training in PBL by Wake-UTD (Wake Forest and University of Texas through MAPSS). MAPSS is math PBLS.  I was also fortunate to have been selected to be on the design team where we created and developed PBLs in math for grades K-12.  PBLs are my passion and I love to create them and use them with my students.

Tara Moyer 4 years, 5 months ago

That is so neat that you have already had experience designing PBL for math because as the speaker shared last night some people are skeptical as to how to make this work for math. I am fortunate you chose to join this group and look forward to see what is posted on the hub!

MARYKATE HOLDEN 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree that it can be either projects or problems. but I do not put a time limit on them. I think projects require more research that has already been written about a topic whereas problems are more suited to solutions. A project can involve research about a problem but not neccessarily solve the problem. By solving a porblem a student draws more relevancy from the activity.

STEPHANIE WALLACE 4 years, 5 months ago

I love this idea and will be looking more closely at your ideas - Math teachers here often say they "can't" do projects because "it's math; it's not creative". I think being able to start with the problem before a project may make is more accessible to both students and teachers.

LINDY KIRKMAN 4 years, 5 months ago

Stephanie, my whole training was with math PBLs.  Being on the design size of it, we were very creative in out PBLs.  My students have engaged in Volumeville where they designed a new town/city with requirements as a final project for our lessons on volume and finding volume of right rectangular prisms and composed rectangular prisms.  They used their knowledge of what they learned about volume and finding volume to create and build their town.  I have pictures of the final product from one of my groups.

MARQUIS GRANT 4 years, 5 months ago

Linda, I like remixing resources and I, too, am looking forward to doing so in this hub. Your design team experience with developing PBLs will give you more insight as you review resources on the platform.

TAVIA CLEMENDOR 4 years, 5 months ago

I hope you can be a good resource since you have experienced. I have always been intersted in PBL but had so little knowledge on what to do and where to start. 

Tara Moyer 4 years, 5 months ago

There is a difference between project based learning and simply doing projects. One main difference is that project based learning is done in collaboration with peers and not just at home. It is not a cumulative task but instead a dynamic way to learn that does eventually culminate. It should engage the student learner in critical thinking. PBL learning is often looked at as a fun hands on experience to supplement the curriculum. Instead it is the meat of the curriculum where the learner goes deep  into the content through their experience with PBL. This is why the PBL hub is important because the way PBL is intended to be set up takes time but it is definitely worth it for students to go deep into content and be challenged in this way so therefore teachers need to see examples of PBL so they can set it up successfully. 

AMY COLLINS 4 years, 5 months ago

That collaboration piece is so important!  Students really struggle to interact meaningfully with each other!  We have to be intentional about teaching them how to collaborate.

I'm glad we are learning how to make PBL the meat and potatoes of learning, and not just dessert!

LINDA NELSON 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree. Teaching students to work together for a common goal is the key. Many students don't know how to really work 'together'. I am hoping to get advice on how to teach students how to really collaborate.

LISA GODLEY 4 years, 5 months ago

Linda, 

I agree.  Teaching students to work together to complete a common goal is hard.  I would love to gather some ideas of how best to help students to "buy-in" working together.  Usually, it seems like a few do all the work, while others do nothing.

MELISSA LORD 4 years, 4 months ago

Tara, I am in agreement about the way of thinking that PBL's are looked at as "fun hands on" supplementation of the curriculum. I have had the most "fun" when I am doing socratic seminars and facilitating group projects and those are supplementations. Speaking of socratic seminars, they are a great start to a PBL seeing as how both are inquiry based. IN additon, I think we educators forget sometimes that our students can actually create their own PBL...or at least the beginning -because they always have sooooo many questions to ask. Give them a subject and they probably have something to inquire about. I also agree with you that a PBL can be, and most often is, the meat of the of the curriculum. I woud love to branstorm with other ELA teachers as to some PBL's for 6th grade if anyone is game. 

Jennifer Selfridge 4 years, 5 months ago

Doing projects has an afterthought feel to it. It is when learning has taken place in a more traditional format "and now we're ready to do the project!" A project based learning environment ties to the project in closer to the learning and provides a framework of why the learning is happening. It can be intimidating to do well and takes time. Consequently, it's important for the project to be tied to my standards. Sometimes I find great science resources that are aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards and may or may not align to my NC standards. Having a group that is focused on project based learning in the context of our state's standards will help us find resources that improve our instruction while keeping the focus on what North Carolina requires us to teach.

TRISHA SMITH 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree that project based learning can be intimidating to students. As a teacher, I am also intimidated by project based learning. 

ELIZABETH CROSS 4 years, 5 months ago

I am also a bit intimidated by PBL and how I may be able to fit the process into my curriculum and having time to complete all of my standards.  

Jen Presley 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree with both of you, @Trisha Smith and @Elizabeth Cross - I think it can be intimidating for all parties involved! Even recognizing the importance of using PBL, it seems like a massive undertaking. I think if we can help scaffold teachers in to it the same way we scaffold students in to it, we might start to calm some of those fears.

Elizabeth, it is a bit intimidating and exciting at the same time. I think the name itself is what creates small levels of anxiety for me. 

William Oates 4 years, 5 months ago

Applying PBL to my content area is my biggest fear. Speaking with and looking at the materials other Latin teachers have created (it is not much) has done little to assuage my fear. I have some ideas currently, but they feel too 'projecty' than true PBL.

MARTHA GENSEMER-RAMIREZ 4 years, 5 months ago

You make a good point about the integration of projects into the entire process of learning, rather than simply being tacked on at the end of a unit.

ALISON KILLY 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree that doing project based learning can take a lot of time and can be difficult to do well. I believe that is why they created this hub. I think they were trying to find a way make project based learning easier for those who would like to try it.

TRISHA SMITH 4 years, 5 months ago

To me, project based learning is more on the process of learning as you go. The idea behind it is to learn new skills as the project progresses. PBL is more student led and engaged. The idea behind "doing projects" is to work on skills that you have previously learned and perfect them through a project. 

MITCHELL OWENS 4 years, 5 months ago

Try not to think about it as learning as you go.  PBL is a lot of front loading to push the students in the proper direction on your part as the teacher, allowing them to choose within the boundaries of what you have prepared for them.  Think of the meal/dessert metaphor that was used.  You spend a lot of time preparing for the meal to make it seem nice for your guests.  Frontload it and let it fall into place as the students explore and sustain inquiry.

KAY CRICKMORE 4 years, 5 months ago

You are right, there is a lot of planning and front loading that goes into PBL. I think having access to resources and knowing where to find them is important.

SUZANNE RAXTER 4 years, 5 months ago

All the planning and front loading is a lot at first but once you have the plan in place the students will go deeper into the standards then we could ever imagine teaching in our everyday lessons. Once you do your first PBL it will create an excitement to create PBLs and do more in your classes. 

MITCHELL OWENS 4 years, 5 months ago

For High Quality PBL I would explain the seven essential design elements needed to create an authentic project-based lerning scenario.

1. Challenging Problem or Question - this is what needs to be answered, you can build this question from your standards

2. Sustained Inquiry - Throughout the project the students should be questioning, develop a set of guiding questions from the standards, and overarching multidisciplinary questions that help the students dive deeper

3. Authenticity - the project must be authentic and explain the why to the students

4. Student Voice and Choice - the project must allow for the students to choose their topic and the direction.  While you as the teacher gets to choose the subject because their are standards, the student must have choice in the product and how they get there.

5. Reflection - this is a huge element for both students and teacher, reflect multiple times throughout and then after on what went well, what didn't, what can change, etc.

6. Critiique and Revision - throughout the process the teacher is facilitating and managing the project giving students feedback and allowing the students to change their direction if needed

7. Public Product - the final aspect of authentic PBL is to allow for public display of the product, they are not making this just for you to see.  The better the public display is the more buy in you will get as you go into this process.  If you can create a moment they talk about then they will have lasting knowledge

I think that this is important because it gives students something to strive for, an achievement.  It becomes student centered and teacher directed, allowing student learning to become authentic.

Excellent recap of the video from last night.  You really got the heart of it.

Miranda Pierce 4 years, 5 months ago

The Authenticity part is the part that I struggle with but think is the most imprortant.

Janet Frazier 4 years, 5 months ago

Project based learning does NOT mean that one simply learns and does a related project. PBL is a process and not just a product. It enables the student to learn in order to complete an authentic/ life relevant task. It incorporates higher order thinking and presenting/displaying to an authentic audience (or the public in general). Collaboration and responsibility for managing the project are important aspects; reflection to improve or revise is present. PBL integrates all of these pieces for students in the learning process.

I think this is important because it gives students a context for what they are learning! The work that we find/create in the HUB will enable teachers to go out ready to implement these ideas in their classrooms. The resources are often partial or would lend themselves to PBL, but need more thought. This gives us time to think through some of these things to create and be prepared.

I can absolutely agree with this! I was a horrible student in high school, not because I didn't know the material, but because I didn't see WHY I needed it. Especially my math teachers, they would shove a book under my face and tell me to solve this equation and show my work. Why??? I would constantly ask, "when will I ever use this??" The only answer I would ever get was "you will use it on the final exam which will determine whether you graduate or not." So, I gave up. I barely graduated, which was ridiculous because looking back I was WAY more intelligent than any of those silly test scores ever said I was.

Amy Rickard 4 years, 5 months ago

You make a good point about relevance. PBL does make the content relevant and usually are close to "home" for the students. 

ROBBIN BRILEY 4 years, 5 months ago

The higher order thinking skills is what our students need and what they continue to struggle with.  It's vital that we work to give them more opportunities throughout all content areas to experience this.

ELIZABETH CROSS 4 years, 5 months ago

"Doing projects" come at the end of the learning.  High quality project based learning occurs as a PROCESS of the LEARINING! Students take ownership of their learning and the learning process occurs as the students work thru the projects.  This work is important in the PBL Hub so that we can share our resources with other teachers.  

KIMBERLY CRANK 4 years, 5 months ago

Also, PBLs should be shared with a wide audience, not just in the classroom or school.  There is also choice and student voice in a PBL.  A project scratches the surface and a PBL digs a hole.

Angelia Howard 4 years, 5 months ago

I love that comment.  Project scratches the surface but a PBL digs a hole.  It really helps with explaining the concept of PBL to new teachers and "new" teachers to PBL.

KIMBERLY CRANK 4 years, 5 months ago

Authentic PBL is a project on steriods.  PBL is not just about creating something or showing you can make a pretty poster, cut and paste info from the Internet, or make a Power Point.  PBL involves students digger deeper into a topic and creating something of their choosing to demonstrate their knowledge, not just to the teacher or class mates, but to others like parents, community members, or an online presence.  PBLs dig into the topic and projects usually just scratch the surface.  There are very few PBL resources for American History so it is important that we share and create good quality resources via the PBL Hub.

ERICA COVINGTON 4 years, 5 months ago

I love your comment about how "authentic PBL is a project on steriods." I teach 12th grade ELA and we do a modified senior project that is supposed to be project-based at the heart of it, but over the years, we have had to make so many accomdations for our population of students that we have taken some giants step back from its origins. Because PBL is on steriods, many of our students are so intimidated by it and tend to give up at the outset. So I wonder what advice teachers would have for those students? I want to tell them what to expect and present the goals of such a project without scaring them too much. 

That public product element that you mentioned is so important for 21st century learning, but we have so many children today who have so much anxiety when it comes to talking to people who are not in their immediate social sphere that many times I tend to give up on that part of the project or I have to modify it for so many students that it loses its impactfulness with the rest of the class since not everyone is sharing. Placing their projects online for this component tends to be problematic too at a Title 1 school like mine due to a lack of resources, but I am so excited to see what others are doing across the curriculum. 

MARTHA GENSEMER-RAMIREZ 4 years, 5 months ago

Project Based Learning must be well thought out in advance, to ensure that the project being designed serves a purpose and meets a learning objective from the standards and the curriculum. In addition, the project should connect to a real-world problem, and should authentically enage students in producing some product which can ideally be shared or utilized beyond the classroom. This helps to make learning more relevant and interesting to students, and increases their buy-in and motivation. It also makes teaching more fun and fulfilling.

Katherine Cartwright 4 years, 5 months ago

I think of a project as a summative assignment, where you regurgitate the information in a teacher prescribed way.  We give them the premeasured ingredients and the recipe and they put it together.  Usually, everyone's work will look quite similar, and the project could even be completed independently and away from school.  PBL is a process where students synthesize information and use it in a real-world way.  It is complex and requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills.  It also requires soft skills like communication, collaboration, and leadership.  It is student-focused and takes much more time as the students work through productive struggles.  It's important to do this work, because we often get stuck in a routine of isolating academics into their own content areas and standards, but learning doesn't happen in a vacuum.  Students need to develop the skills mentioned before, as well as understand the world around them and how to interact with it.  That's part of the learning that comes from PBL.  

When talking to colleagues about high quality PBL, the most important thing to tell them is that it is authentic and rigorous.  So many times, PBLs end up feeling like "fluff" or just fun stuff that students don't really learn from.  We must tie our PBLs into the curriculum standards.  "Doing projects" can be a good way to culminate a unit, but it doesn't really help grow the students' knowledge base. A true PBL begins with a driving question and relies on the student to learn the material needed to solve whatever problem they are facing.  I think it is important for the work in the Hub to reflect this type of depth and rigor or else we are not helping out teachers at all.

Jennifer Selfridge 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree that they must be tied to our curriculum standards and that it needs to help grow their knowledge base. I like how you put that.

Angelia Howard 4 years, 5 months ago

PBL requires good teaching upfront but allows for broad generalization and creativity.  It promotes higher level thing skills along with social skills/collaboration.  PBL takes knowledge and puts it to work. 

Christy Brown 4 years, 5 months ago

I like the way you phrased that last sentence... "PBL takes knowledge and puts it to work." I'm excited to shift my thinking from "doing projects" to high quality project based learning that's meaningful and beneficial to learning and lives!

Royzetta Cokley 4 years, 5 months ago

Angela, definitely good teaching is important and parental support to take activities to another level. As it was stated yesterday, student's today do not take the necessary time to make assignments come to life. 

I had this very conversation with a colleague today as I was explaining the work here in this Hub. I understand High-Quality PBL to be project-based learning that focuses on real-world problems, scenarios, tools, tasks, and processes that directly impact students' lives (or perhaps will in the future). The "real world" focus is at the forefront of this project-based learning. It's not "doing projects" but rather "how does this apply to my life, my world, my future." This understanding is important here in order for us to see high-quality PBL for what it really is. Admittedly, my thinking has already been tremendously reframed. My guess is that many educators do not fully grasp this concept, as we generally do not think about project based learning on this level. 

JENNIFER CAHOON 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree that I know the concept of a PBL project, but I am concerned that I don't how to start one.  That I don't know how to facilitate one to the final product.  I am a Little Scared of how to accomplish this task.  I think this is where many teachers are with this.  I think the HUB will help guide us on this task. 

I am right there with you. Definitely apprehensive, yet excited! I teach ELA and Social Studies. When I think of PBL, those aren't the first subject areas I think of. I am anxious to learn more, so I can begin to explore how PBL will look for my students and me. 

MELISSA CHAPPELL 4 years, 4 months ago

but rather "how does this apply to my life, my world, my future." - I think this is the hardest thing for teachers to apply in their classroon with everything else they have to do but it really is the most important because when you get kids to think about those, they are starting to relate to it.

JENNIFER CAHOON 4 years, 5 months ago

PBL will cover several standards, interlink them and produce a product that explains it all.  It is a collaborative project between students.  It is not a presentation board, science fair project, or just a slide show for students to complete for them.  I believe that the PBL Hub will show lesson plans and ideas that get this point across to teachers.  It will help teachers know where and how to get started. 

AMY BURGER 4 years, 5 months ago

I totally agree with you! Collaboration is a 21st century skill so students need to learn it while they are in school.

Royzetta Cokley 4 years, 5 months ago

As you review the criteria for High Quality PBL, provide a brief summary that you would use when helping a colleague understand the difference between “doing projects” and authentic project-based learning. Include why you think that’s important for this work in the PBL Hub.

The difference between "doing projects" and project-based learning is how the final product an be used. If it is a ont-time presentation that will probably get thrown away, then it does not serve a motive for the student. 

Freak the Mighty

Here is a picture of a student's project from the book Freak the Mighty. Students had the option to build an ornithopter. We actually went outside and flew them to see which one can travel the farthest. Students compared how each one was build and we talked about wind, velocity, and etc. So I see the difference.

MARYKATE HOLDEN 4 years, 5 months ago

I think quaity PBL involves student driven activity. A teacher can provide guidance but the student should choose direction and learn from the doing. It is definitely student centered and should reinforce the scientific process of discovery. I would tell a colleague to re-work a good project by having the student/student group come up with the steps to use and possible outcomes; don't just give it to them. We find so many "cookie cutter" projects, labs, activities, that do not require thought and the outcome is already known. I thnk this is important because authentic project/problem based learning requires a student to think, process, and conclude on their own so that later on in life they can tackle their own probelms and issues in the same way.

KATHLEEN WOODARD 4 years, 5 months ago

Well said! "cookie cutter" projects are not meaningful to students. PBL will provide meaningful outcomes for students that will last!

Alicia Hamel 4 years, 5 months ago

I am a HS CTE teacher and I really appreciated hearing how Project-Based learning (PBL) is much more of a qualitative tool to inspire students to “investigate challenging problems, questions, and issues over an extended period of time.” I would descibe PBL to collegeuges as such, empahsizing to keep in mind, that PBL is not something that can be incorporated all the time due to time constraints, but to hone in on when there is a point in the curriculum that would benefit the most from higher order thinking. PBL requires more time than the typical classroom projects and would need spcieal attention to evalutaion provide meaningful feedback to students. 

SHELLY MALONEY 4 years, 5 months ago

Higher order thinking is definitely a good descriptor but I would say that Project Based learning could be incorporated more than it is being in some situations, It really just depends on resources and administration. PBL is far superior quality of education to provide our students when we can. It's a shame there are so many things that limit this from becoming available more often.

SHELLY MALONEY 4 years, 5 months ago

I have always viewed "doing projects" as more of a summative approach to teaching where the student uses the project to show the teacher and classmates the summation of what he/she/they have learned. Project based learning inherently provides a way for students to learn through creating projects that are scaffolding, collaborative and reflective. They challenge students to work through curriculum in a way that they learn as they go rather than sum up what they have already learned. The teacher facilitates the learning process but the students are left to critically process the information on a much higher level than when traditionally "doing projects".

Gwendolyn Ennis 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes, I agree, a project is one way to show what you've learned, but with PBL the project IS the learning.

I think the way I would explain the difference in "doing projects" and project-based learning might be a little too simple... I have actually had this conversation before and my response was simply - "projects are done for the teacher and for a grade. Project-based learning is done for the student and either answers a question or solves a problem."

This is a massively important difference to keep in mind for work in the PBL hub. As this thing gets off the ground and goes live, you are going to have a whole lot of educators (and administrators) that are going to be on opposite ends of the spectrum. One group is going to be absolutely ready to do ALL of it! However, they are going to be overly excited and have no clue what they are doing. As we work on this hub we need to make sure that we are giving clear, easy to understand instructions, suggestions and resources so they can hit the ground running, and runners will tell you that if you don't do it correctly you will hurt yourself! We want them to get good results and stay on the bandwagon so to speak. On the other end of that spectrum, we will have the "why do I need this? my district is making me do this and I don't get it so I am not going to take it seriously." We also need to make sure we have resources that appeal to them, give them LESS work and try to slowly bring them around to the idea that this type of teaching and learning is really what is best for our students. 

Melissa Larkin 4 years, 5 months ago

I LOVE your response! I'm going to hang on to that in my back pocket :)

"projects are done for the teacher and for a grade. Project-based learning is done for the student and either answers a question or solves a problem."

I also loved when Ben said (paraphrasing..) "real, relevant, and make an impact" - which I think your answer expands upon. 

Cindel Chavers 4 years, 5 months ago

I totally agree with your definitions of Projects and PBL. I also agree that it is true that other teachers perceive this way of teaching as more work and are scared to try. We will need to give them ready to use resources to help them understand. I discussed the HUB with a few of my colleagues and got negative responses due to exactly what you mentioned: they feel it will be mandated and a new thing to learn vs. a valuable resource that we can control. We will need to be helpful and specific moving forward to help get ¨buy-in¨ to help the HUB become successful.  

Rebecca Evans-Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

I love the focus on audience in differentiating between PBL and POL.  Audience addresses both the authenticity part of PBL as well as the larger engagment issue of creating a product for someone besides the teacher.

Gwendolyn Ennis 4 years, 5 months ago

I would say that "doing projects" is more or less a way to show what you have learned about a topic.  PBL is creating a project plan and using it as a way for students to learn.  It involves identifying a question or problem and then creating a solution.  Students should be communicating and collaborating and working towards the solution together. The problems should be real-world based and solutions should be shared with an audience.  The learning is happening through the process and is not always teacher directed as "doing a project" is.

I think it is important for this work in the PBL Hub becasue many teachers are intimidted by developing PBL on their own.  This will provide a place to start and models for instruction.

Julie South 4 years, 5 months ago

I am one of those teachers that is overwhelmed with the idea of creating my our PBL. I have tried in the past to use a PBL in my class with my students but it has been a struggle. I am hoping that I will get some good ideas from this group on how to manage PBL's in the classroom and create ones of my own. 

ERICA COVINGTON 4 years, 5 months ago

To help a colleague understand the difference between "doing projects" and authetic project-based learning, I would ask them to tell me when the learning occurs. If the learning occurs in order for the project to be completed, then the class is simply doing a project. If the learning occurs while the project is being completed because students are directing their learning through inquiry, then that is project-based learning. 

PBL is so important because it transforms the classroom and places the students at the center of the lesson and they take charge of their learning; that project management element of PBL is such a transferable skill that will take students very far after they leave school and enter post-secondary education and/or the work force. I also love the reflection because that has so much educational value for a student to be retrospective and even critical of themselves and their work, allowing to see other opportunities for improvement and progress. 

Damien Perez 4 years, 5 months ago

I really enjoyed the way you summed up the difference between "doing projects" and PBL. Such a simple test of asking when the learning occurs really helps identify authetic PBL. 

Placing students at the center of learning and taking charge helps promote accountability and ownership. Throughout my careers, I have developed teams. One way to truly get engagement from team members is to allow contributions from all (buys ownership) and provide for peer review (peer accountability). 

Great contribution! 

Julie South 4 years, 5 months ago

The difference between “doing projects” and project based learning is how involved the student is to their learning. When “doing project” the students are given a rubric to follow and clear directions on how to complete the assignment. When working on project based learning students are more involved in their own learning. I believe that project based learning is more realistic to how students will see problems in the real world.

Amber Blashaw 4 years, 5 months ago

Hi Julie, 

I agree that authentic PBL are more realistic and it gets the children involved,  I like how you mentioned that "doing projects" usually require a rubric. 

C CHAUNCEY 4 years, 5 months ago

Student definitely need to have buy in when it comes to PBL.

Amber Blashaw 4 years, 5 months ago

After I reviewed the criteria for High Quality PBL, I feel that I could help a colleague understand the difference between "doing projects" and authentic project based learning.  "Doing Projects" is where the porject is more teacher directed and there is a specific outcome that the teacher is looking for from the student.  There are usually assesments directed by the teacher and these "Projects" are on time based.  Authentic project based learning is student driven where there are intellectual challenges and accomplishments that is based on the real world or has a direct impact on them.  There is collaboration to figure out and describe the answers to the questions.  This end results goes beyond the classroom to share with others explain their product as well as have a reflection on the project with open ended questions where the studetns thinks and discovers things outside the box that have true context on their life.  I think it is importnat to know the difference for this to work in the PBL Hub, because when searching for high quality resources PBL so that you can get the most involvement and learning from the students to help them be sucessful. 

I love the fact that the students have to acquire knowledge while they are doing their project and even HAVE TO HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE to complete it! I really appreciate your comment about PBL being student-driven.

Damien Perez 4 years, 5 months ago

As a project manament professional / middle school teacher, I am a firm believer in PBL. Reviewing the framework, I see the value of the six criteria to define high quality projects. Here is how I would define the difference between doing projects verse authetic PBL: 

Traditional projects involved students completing an activity (poster board, media display, papers, etc.) after the teacher has instructed the material. Students are merely repeating lessons learned from the instruction. With authetic PBL, students are actively learning the material with teachers providing guidance. It enables students to direct and become engaged in their learning. This helps develop 21st centruy skillsets for students, as well as teach students how to work within a team, a necessary skill as increasing real world activities are project based. 

The PBL Hub platform allows members to collaborate, review, contribute, and discuss PBL resources. Increasing PBL knowledge helps promote the importance of PBL and increases opportunties for schools to embrace this form of learning. 

KATHLEEN WOODARD 4 years, 5 months ago

I am really looking forward to learning more about PBL and reviewing and remixing resources. When addressing PBL with a peer I would make sure to point out that PBL is a process and not a just a finished final product. PBL is centered around the students hands on learning with the teacher taking on the role of facilitator. PBL is not about the teacher frontloading standards based information and then students completing a project. PBL is meaningful and allows students to thrive both academically and socially. 

ANNIE MCENTYRE 4 years, 5 months ago

I think projects can be just a regurgitation of teacher-centered instruction, where project-based learning is more student-centered in nature. Project-Based learning opportunities allow students to dive into the content and develop a deeper understanding as they go. I think the work we are doing as participants in the Hub is very beneficial. PBL shouldn't be just another buzz word we use to pacify our administration. We need to dig deeper ourselves and determine what good PBL looks like in the classroom, how other teachers can implement PBL into their content without feeling overwhelmed or intimidated by the thought of PBL. I would like to discover ways to implement PBL more efficiently into my classes and stay on track with the coveted pacing guide established by my district. 

ANGELA PAUL 4 years, 5 months ago

"...a regurgitation of teacher-centered instruction..." What a great way of wording it. This makes me think about where "doing projects" and PBL each fall on Bloom's Taxonomy of higher order thinking skills. 

ALEXANDRIA SEYMOUR 4 years, 4 months ago

I definitely agree! You worded this so well. I too would like to discover more ways to implement PBL into my classroom and also stay on track with my district's pacing guide.

Melissa Larkin 4 years, 5 months ago

In explaining the difference between "doing projects" and authentic PBL learning, I would want to reiterate to my colleague that PBL is not a "summary of learning" at the end of a unit. PBL is a way to learn the material with revision, collaboration, real life context, a public product, reflection, etc. If you've ever assigned a project and been disatisfied with the student products, I think that is because the learning along the way did not support the project, which is why the project falls flat. PBL would step in, catch, and avoid this result as the way authentic PBL is designed would product a far more in depth learning experience. 

KIMBERLY FERGUSON 4 years, 5 months ago

Melissa, I totally agree with you!   PBL is not a summary of learning.  I really liked how you mentioned being dissatisfied with the student projects.  I think, that as a teacher, we envision something, but the process we use to discuss with the students is different than what type of conversation needs to be had so the students can drive the learning.  Teachers often have a hard time, I have found, with releasing "power" and they want to have the "control" of the project.  The shift that needs to take place may be harder for some teachers than others.

I think that PBL can be a way for students to become part of the learning process and be able to teach others from their experiences.

Heather Brashear 4 years, 5 months ago

I like to think of Project Based Learning as Discovery Learning for my students; where I provide them with the tools and they discover the content and learn through peer discussions and interactions with the material 

KIMBERLY FERGUSON 4 years, 5 months ago

High Quality PBL is different than "doing projects" because it is student centered, they learn as they apply skills, driven by a question around a rigourous challenge and is problem solving.  Doing a project is often just a way for students to apply the information that has been taught and is an end project for the unit.  The students would consider the projects to be "fun", while a PBL would be considered "engaging".  Hopefully the "fun" would come as well with the learning!

Cindel Chavers 4 years, 5 months ago

A high quality PBL has students thinking and asking deeper questions. The best way I had it explaind to me was: how do you prepare and write a paper in college or how do you prepare for a lecture as teacher? You might answer: well, I read/review resources and synthesize information. I might look for answers to my own questions formed from my thesis. All of the skills that you used to write the paper or design the lecture are skills that your students need to learn to do for themselves. The whole research and discovery piece is what project based learning is all about. You can ground it by making it authentic and asking driving questions that apply a concept to the real world. It allows your students to ask the quesitons and discover the answers. 

It is important to understand the deeper meaning of PBL, so that we are all working towards the same goal as educators on this HUB. It helps create a common definition and something we are all striving to do and create. If we all understand true PBL, then we can support each other to create and do them. We can give feedback, suggestions, and ideas of how to manage PBL in the classroom. 

JANICE BERNIER 4 years, 5 months ago

The biggest diffeernce I saw in the presentation ws that PBL is a way to learn material while doing porjects is a way to assess material alreay learned.

It is importnat becasue the whole focus for studnets is completely different. So many of our kids need this type of educatioanl experience to truly learn and develop a passion for learning.

Yes! "learn material while doing projects" makes it integral to the learning process instead of being the "frills and fluff" that is just a model--which I feel oftentimes don't assess knowledge at all, but the student's ability to be crafty. I agree also that many of our kids need this type of experience because it draws them in and is interesting for them.

ANGELA PAUL 4 years, 5 months ago

Project Based Learning and "doing projects" differ in how the project is used within the unit, and where it falls within the timeline of the unit. If students are completing a summative project to show what they learned at the end of the unit, then they are "doing a project." If students are working on a project over the course of the unit, learning via the process of the project work, then project based learning is happening. This is an important distinction in the PBL Hub in that reviewers can look for this and provide feedback on it when assessing and critiquing a resource. 

Jeremy Wright 4 years, 5 months ago

I think how I would explain to my colleagues is that it is more about the process of getting to the end product rather than focusing on the end product.  Since we are at the end of doing Senior products here in CMS I really wish our high students, at least the students at my school, could have been introduced to this project-based learning.  I think it would have really helped them with their senior exit projects. 

I do wonder as someone said in the chat on Monday, trying to take the time to do this style of project learning while still covering the material for a test that the student, teacher, and school will be assessed on.

STEPHANIE WALLACE 4 years, 5 months ago

I would first explain that it is not the grading nightmare most perceive it to be! I would then explain the different  between teacher-led and student-led initiatives, balancing the teacher's guidance of the project. I would emphasize that the most important part of the project is the processes the students use to discover their material and work toward the end goal - not the end goal itself. I think this is important work for this PBL group because it is more real-world than what is happening in more traditional classrooms - students need to be able to struggle a little.

ASHLEY GRANT 4 years, 5 months ago

I love the points you have made here. PBL is truly about the process and allowing the kids to "get messy and make mistakes" to quote the wise words of Mrs. Frizzle! 

"Doing Projects" is focused on creating a product whereas authentic project based learning focuses on the process of creating a product. The object(project)  created is not the most important piece of the assignment in project based learning but the steps to creating the object (project), the trials and tribulations of creating the object(project), even failing to create a sucessful object(project) is important  to authentic project based learning. 

Jen Presley 4 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps an oversimplification, but I would say that Project Based Learning is student-centered and more focused on the process of learning, whereas Projects are more of an outcome simply meant to show what a student has learned. This is important work in the PBL Hub because this paradigm shift needs to happen before teachers can embrace the vallue of PBL and begin to bring it to life in their classrooms.

Amanda Powers 4 years, 5 months ago

"student-centered and more focused on the process of learning" is what I understand authentic PBL to be!

KRISTI MILLER 4 years, 5 months ago

I totally agree when you say that authentic PBL brings life to the classroom.  When you bring life to your classroom you are typically relating your curriculum to everyday life.  When I was a classroom teacher I would have the students lead the entire unit on elections (what I thought was PBL, before I knew what PBL really was).  Each semester the students would say that they learned the most from all the other lessons in the class.  

Amy Rickard 4 years, 5 months ago

I would say that a high quality PBL is a way to teach the content and process rather than to demonstrate what is learned as a project would. PBL also has room for student choice, feedback and revision, and public presentation. 

I think it's important to know the components of high quality PBL in order to properly vet materials. 

Marcia Tomkinson 4 years, 5 months ago

Project based learning is student led with teacher suppport.  The students are the creaters and the teacher helps the students to achieve their goal by asking questions to help them be independent thinkers and for them to work collaboratively with little assistance. Doing projects is teacher led and focused. Project based, the students come up with their plan and work through it together.

KAY CRICKMORE 4 years, 5 months ago

Doing projects consists of the students showing what they have learned. Project-based learning helps the students learn while they work. It seems like there should be more to it but the difference is this simple.

Amanda Powers 4 years, 5 months ago

As a novice in PBL, I am excited to begin applying these awesome things I am learning in my 2nd grade classroom. If a colleague were to ask me what authentic PBL is, I would tell them that it is sctudent centered and ther teacher is there to facilitate/ guide. It is not simply doing a project at the end of a unit. It is more about the student creating something that they can learn through, but also show their mastery of a concept with. 

In this Hub, it is important to remember that PBL can create great connections and collaboration for our students. The resources that are being vetted and reworked should reflect the above metioned ideals of PBL and not just end woth a project.

SANDERS BENKWITH JR 4 years, 5 months ago

Amanda, I also feel that more often than not, when teachers "do projects" it comes at the end of the unit and is the teacher telling the student what to do. I usually feel like this is a way for teachers to just check off box. It doesn't meaningfully engage the student and may not actually add anything meaningful to the content (Besides being fun).

Gathering materials and putting them together is how I would define a project. As the webinar mentioned, science fair projects fall under the umbrella of projects. Project-based learning is when students engage in active inquiry as they complete the stages leading to a final project, Projects can be completed as a group but they can also be completed individually whereas project-based learning is more of a collaborative approach. I think this is important in this hub because teachers need to find ways in which to engage their students in the higher levels of learning as described in Webb's Depth of Knowledge. Students learn more from hands-on approaches, where they are responsible for getting from one point to the next with the teacher serving as a facilitator of learning.

TAVIA CLEMENDOR 4 years, 5 months ago

It would be important for a colleague to understand that pbls incoroporate a social and emotional aspect to learning. PBLs allows students to use content to tackle real world problems. It allows for more student freedom and choice in how they can connect and relate content information. "Doing Projects" simply allows a student to creatively demonstrate knowledge only.  

AMY BURGER 4 years, 5 months ago

High quality PBL requires a lot of organization from the teacher. Once those structures are set in place, though, it is time for the teacher to step back and hand the reins to the students. Students have to believe in what they are doing in order for it to be authentic.  Project based learning helps students with authentic learning vs projects and that is why it is important

Rebecca Evans-Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

It's important to understand the difference between high quality PBL and project oriented learning because PBL builds a depth of knowledge that POL does not. Project oriented learning is more like a bow on top of the learning, showcasing the "smart things" students can do after all of the unit's learning has been completed. High quality PBL drives inquiry and curiosity in students, creating an engaging experience for students who are creating something for an audience beyond the walls of the classroom.

ALISON KILLY 4 years, 5 months ago

I think it is important when talking to a colleague to explain that project based learning is when the learning itself takes place during the project. In contrast, when you do a project you are showed what you learned, but it is not necessarily things you learned while doing the project. 

Rustina Sharpe 4 years, 5 months ago

PBL's in prekindergarten take on a different look than most grade levels.  Play is how children learn at this age level, and creating PBL's that are play-based is half the fun!  Sometimes, especially with children who have special needs or are English Language learners, teachers may have to take on the traditional "teaching role" instead of coaching or facilitating, but this role should not dominate.  Also, at this age, there may be a lack of prior experiences that older children would use for PBL activities.

I have met many teachers of early childhood education who approach PBL's, and STEM, with apprehension.  Both are new ways to approach and teach, but in the end, both are ways to engage and allow children to learn and discover on their own!

Also, allowing children to problem solve, explore, experiment, collaborate, cooperate, discuss, and discover will improve their social skills as well as meet the developmental needs of each individual child. Teachers must be willing to overcome any feelings of apprehension they have and break down any rigidity that builds up walls preventing them from trying something new.  

In many NC PreK and Title 1 classrooms, the NC Foundations for Early Learning is utilized.  (Think of this as our "common core" standards, only play-based).  Almost all of these standards can be met with authentic PBL's!

Once you go PBL...you won't go back to the old and boring traditional ways of yesterday!

William Oates 4 years, 5 months ago

Project Based Learning is providing your students with 'real world' applications of learning. It will allow borderline students who do not perform well in standard assessments (tests, essays, et al.) to show that they understand and can apply the material. While projects have their place (they are fun) they do not necessarily show learning or knowledge acquisition.

Beth Hodges 4 years, 5 months ago

HQPBL is about more than just group work or project work. It is taking a project and incorpotating mastery of content, real world connections of that content, public display of they project, truelly working together on each step of the project so that all voices are heard, using outside resources, understanding of how to manage a project so that it runs smooth, and then how to truelly reflect on the process both personally and as a group member. Making the project worth more than just a grade. Make it an experience in which students can learn, grow, and proudly display their accomplishments. It's easy to say we "do" projects and some of them are probably really good. However, we have to use those projects in real world situations to better ready our students. Teachers know what they are told. If the research is never shared and understood, then we are truelly just doing projects in class. 

ROBBIN BRILEY 4 years, 5 months ago

In explaining the difference to another colleague here is how I typically describe it.  A project in my classroom is defined by a clear set of parameters a student is to work within (goals to achieve by the end of the project), typically a rubric that I will be using them to evaulate them and alot of guidance/oversight by me.  A PBL however has a major front load design where I have come up with a broad question or a set of questions around the content we are covering.  I pose that question or set of questions to my students and then tell them that I want them to come up with answers/solutions in pairs/small groups/large teams.  I may in coaching form discuss with them potential timelines due to constraints we may be working under but I limit my role.  I want them to use their creativity and problem solving skills to come up with a plan and for me to not hand them the blueprints to get there.  To me a project is handing them all the parts and guiding them to piece by piece but something together and evaluating the sucess of that process.  But in a PBL, it's not even giving them a blueprint of what you are looking for but just a jump off point and seeing where they land with it.  I taught in an alternative school for 5 years working with at-risk middle school 7th and 8th graders teaching Math and Science and PBL's were the absolute best methology to reach these young people to whom traditional paper/pencil methods did not work.

KRISTI MILLER 4 years, 5 months ago

To understand how “doing projects” differ from authentic project-based learning, I like to think of doing projects is short term as authentic PBL is long term. Doing projects is simply fulfilling the task that is giving by the teacher as there is typically right and wrong way of completing it, with PBL it allows for the students to make the project truly their own without a decisive right or wrong answer. There is a great shift between how much the teacher is “the teacher” in “doing projects” versus the teacher being the facilitator of learning in an authentic PBL.   I believe that this is critical to understand in this hub as we try to create resources and activities that are authentic pbl versus just "doing projects".  

LINDA NELSON 4 years, 5 months ago

PBL is interdisciplinary, student-centered learning. It focuses on engaging students in real-world problems. It also helps to prepare students for the adult world of work by helping them develop necessary 21st Century job skills needed in our competitive world.  A project assumes an end in mind where the majority of the students are completing similar outcomes.

SUZANNE RAXTER 4 years, 5 months ago

I am looking forward to reviewing "High Quality PBLs" and remixing others.  Our school has been attending the Buck Institute training so my colleagues and I have a deeper understanding of the difference between "Doing projects" and authentic project-based learning .Due to PBLs being more authentic the students find deeper meaning using critical thinking skills through application to solve real world problems due to the learning they experience along the way. My team and I have only ceated 4 quality PBLs so far but I look forward to creating many more and continuing to impove the ones we have already established. 

Mary Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

Sounds to me that you are well on your way to a path of authentic teaching and learning along side your students, I wonder if you are motivated to model for those of us that are just entering the concept. Lucky you! Only four PBLs are four more than many of us, you have more clarity and experience. Your students will benefit from your energy!

Mary Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm learning about High Quality PBL and here's a simple summary to demonstrate that there is a difference between a project and authentic project-based learning. Hang in there as I do my best to explain a newish concept to me and something I haven't practiced in a classroom with school aged students.

An assigned project may be an exclamation point (dare I say) of a lesson. This type of project gives students an opportunity to show their learning within a limited creative forum and may or may not be for a grade or possibly a gallery peice along with classmate's project. In my experience these projects have guidelines and deadlines and typically become competitive.

An authentic project based learning is a method of teaching in which an in-depth study of a particular topic is conducted by a group of students and is facilitated (!) by the teacher. The topic would meet the standards of learning yet in a manner that is relevant. The students are leading one another and are driven by their own inquiry, creativity and often end in a way that is satisfying to all those that become involved.

I think it is important for this work because I have taught within this type of method and have witnessed the excitement, grappling, fascinations, cooperation, research...and this is all with very young children. It utilizes an educator's energy and knowledge in an unusual way that is exhaustingly wonderful! Having both the adults and students working together towards a shared goal or question or topic is so important and possibly immeasurable since the project based learning becomes apart of us all.

LISA GODLEY 4 years, 5 months ago

I think the major takeaways that helped me understand the difference between just doing "projects" and "High-Quality PBL" in that one is teacher-directed whereas the other is inquired based.  It is ongoing, open-ended with student choice and mirrors the real world,  Whereas a project is completed and submitted and that is the end of it.  

I would like to see some examples of High-quality PBL for middle-grade ela standards.  I am a visual person so I can easily see PBL being implemented into science and social studies but not with teaching ela standards.

MARY ROSINSKI 4 years, 5 months ago

When being shown and told of the project based learning I have always been intrigued with how it would fit the framework of the PreK program.  So much of our curriculum is based upon the "discovery" and "exploration" of materials that the students are surrounded with.  In order for my colleagues to understand the the high quality PBL , it would be best to show them in video or pictures how the children are directly engaged in the misson of the project. This student centered approach is very important for the learning that we do daily in the preschool classrooms.  When having the children own their own explorations into area that intrest them.  Investigating how thier world works in relation to the subjects that they wish to learn about.  When students are engaged in a project they are excited about how they are connected to that learning.  There is a exchange of ideas, experiences and sharing of what they are learning during the process.  It is often said by my collegages that the children might stray off topic and just take it someplace out in left field.  The teacher is there to facilitate the learning, and to observe and provide support without "doing it for them" . This can  be scary for teachers that need a lot of control in the classroom.  ;)

Miranda Pierce 4 years, 5 months ago

Doing projects is a way to practice what you have taught in class in a more interesting or maybe fun way.  A Project based learning is students learning through the project itself, usually through reasearch or labs.  PBL's give students time to work with and feel more connected to the material because they are invested in.  Its  important  to know this when working in the Hub because knowing the difference will help us find the best resurces to review or remixed.

LAKEISHA GALLOWAY 4 years, 5 months ago

When doing Projet based learning as opposed to doing projects the becomes student centerd.  It is not just about learning material and producing some kind of output according to what you have learned.  Students will become better skilled at colaboration, and using their individua strenths towards the project.  The is their own and is not mainly teacher centered.  They are connecd to real world and will better able to solve real word problems.

PAULA MCLAMB 4 years, 5 months ago

PBL is not a focus on the end product, but the product as well as the process. PBL is relevant to an audience greater than the student and teacher--some part of the world population, whereas doing projects is student/teacher focused. A PBL incorporates the 4 C's--collaboration, communication, creativity and critical thinking. A PBL is not a regurgitaion of information like doing projects. Instead a PBL calls for thinking critically, creating something, communicating with others outside of the classroom,and collaborating.

This is important for work in the PBL Hub because many teachers think students are doing a PBL when actually students are doing a project. In order for a PBL to be high quality certain criteria have to be met. The work in this hub focuses on ensuring the resources here are high quality.

CHRISTINA RARY 4 years, 5 months ago

The 2 C's are so important! I also think the public product is one of the most important parts of the PBL process. When students know they are creating solutions or ideas for their community ot for professionals they rise to those expectations are create high quality work. 

MELISSA LORD 4 years, 5 months ago

After reading the selection, HIgh Quality PBL, I came to a basic conclusion. A true PBL consists of several more criteria than a normal project. While projects and PBL's can both be guided by the teacher and collaborative, PBL's go a litte further than just "doing." PBL's help students critically think, connect with their authenticity, learn and utilize project management and reflect on each major part of the process and PBL. Over several weeks, students can get engrossed in knowlege of relevant material and take ownership of their learning.

I think having the PBL Hub will help connect educators to opportunities and other in which will enrich our classrooms and student knoweldge. It takes a lot of thinking and creating to develop PBL's, so to have a group that is willing to share and collaborate on these may lend to more PBL's being utilized in our schools. I can see them bringing more diversity to learning in our rooms and I'm excited to see what happens.

CHRISTINA RARY 4 years, 5 months ago

When thinking of "doing projects" these are often dessert projects that do not substantially add to the process of learning. When "doing projects" students are asked to summarize or display their learning but they are not learning through the process of the project. In authentic project-based learning the learning goals are at the center of the PBL and they push students to learn by giving students a challenging problem or question that is authentic or relevant. Students continue to learn beasue their are opportunities for sustained inquiry and for students to use their ideas or interests as they work. through their driving question. A high quality PBL also continues driving learning by allowing students to reflect, give critiques and to present their product to a real audience. Projects should not be a dessert but a main course that sustains learning! 

Emily Davidson 4 years, 5 months ago

I love the "dessert" vs. "main course" analogy! Definitely going to use that with my PLC.

Emily Davidson 4 years, 5 months ago

As a secondary science teacher, the key to authentic project-based learning (PBL) are labs that allow students to discover a trend, formula, or law. This can be in the form of a physical, hands-on lab, or a virtual lab or interactive. 

Many projects and labs are set up for the student to describe or prove a law or formula they have already learned. PBL allows students to discover and then report their realizations. This authentic learning experience is much more memorable for students.

ASHLEY GRANT 4 years, 5 months ago

Project based learning moves away from the traditional line of thought about projects in the classroom. For many, projects are the "extras" in a unit that are only done if time allows; in this model. the learning has already happened ,and the project is not central to the learning process. In other words, while a project can show off what a student has learned, the project itself does not take an active role in the learning process. Project based learning is the opposite of this. Instead of "extra", a project using the authentic PBL model is essential to student mastery of the skills and content being taught. Projects in the PBL model drive student learning by becoming one of the most important components of a unit; students learn through doing authentic, comprehensive tasks that coincide with other methods of instruction used through the course of the unit. This is important as PBL requires students to take charge of their own learning in a student-centered approach that center around inquiry and higher order thinking skills; through PBL, students are mastering content and developing the twenty-first century skills needed for success. 

Barton Copeland 4 years, 5 months ago

PBL is when the assigned project or inquiry leads students to learning specific objectives.  Doing projects is what happens after teachers and students digest content and put it in a presentation.  

SANDERS BENKWITH JR 4 years, 5 months ago

The difference between "doing projects" and authentic project-based learning comes down to the purpose and depth of the project. "Doing projects" often ends up being teachers assigning something "fun" that is only cursory related to the content. In addition, "doing projects" usually only happens at the end of the unit and isn't really meant to push the students to learn and create on their own. Instead, it usually ends up with students just remixing what the teacher told them in class. Often times, the project isn't necessry for students to understand the content.

Authentic project-based learning starts at the begenning of the unit and the whole unit focuses on guiding students toward acquire the content knowledge and skills needed to complete a real-world project that embodies all of the standards. The students won't be able to learn and understand the standards unless they are fully engaged in the project experience.

ALEXANDRIA SEYMOUR 4 years, 4 months ago

I would explain PBL as a way to engage students in a way that is relevant to them and what they see is important. Projects are created and led by the teacher with a certain criteria and finished product. PBL is more open-ended. Projects are more for, "Oh yay! We finished the topic. Now show what you learned/remember from that topic." PBL is watching students learn the topic through more open-ended guidelines and criteria. Students can take learning a standard into their own hands. They can choose a topic or problem to focus on, collaborate with the peers, find solutions, and reflect on their own learning. PBL allows students to deeper understand the standards that we are teaching them. PBLs can last days, weeks, or months. 

I am excited to see the PBL resources in GoOpenNC. I think so many of us are afraid of PBL or just don't know how to begin. The PBL resources will be a great starting point!

Tanya Green-McPherson 4 years, 4 months ago

The difference between doing a project and PBL, is that a project is usually a task that students work on at home and it's a good way for studnets to work with the content they've have already learned while PBL is best demonstrated as students learning throughout the project. It involves colloboration from peers, teachers and even the community. This will be important to the hub for educators to know what PBL is all about; its about collaboration, students solving real world problem based on a solid driving question (no yes or no question).

MELISSA CHAPPELL 4 years, 4 months ago

I kind of new the difference between "doing projects" and authentic PBL already because my current school did some training on it (at least the classroon teachers did) but it was helpful to see it drawn out in those diagrams. "Projects are done at the end of learning a topic(s) while PBL is learning as you go, kind of like building the ship as you sail. The students are engaged and encouraged to make mistakes and revisions to what they are doing as they continue in the journey. I do a lot of this in my orcehstra classroom but it is easier with the arts I think. It is hard as a teacher to let go of the "teacher" role and letting kids figure it out on their own though.