Webinar #2 - March 25th Discussion

by Joanna Schimizzi 4 years, 1 month ago

Hello to our Remote Learning Educator colleagues!

Please share two things in your reply! (Please be sure to have your reply be to THIS original post to reduce email notifications.)

1) Share any details about your school's/district's Remote Learning Landscape.

2) Share one opportunity that you’ve created this week in the midst of difficulty. (You could share a new digital tool you've started learning or a different way to communicate with families or...)

Cristie Michalek 4 years, 1 month ago

Our current Remote Learning Landscape in Wayne County seems to be quite scattered.  Our school has chosen Google Classroom and Class Dojo as our platform to reach students and communicate with parents. We are hoping to have more guidance after administration meets tomorrow. 

This week I have created Quizziz, Newsela, and several video oppportunities that I have linked in a calendar for parents and students. We have also used Google Meet with my PLC to discuss the plan for upcoming work.

Pam Batchelor 4 years ago

I love Newsela! Keeping it simple for students, parents, and yourself is very important. Thanks for sharing!

Jamie Gabbard 4 years, 1 month ago

We are using Google Classroom for work submissions and GoogleChat to meet.

Jamie Gabbard 4 years, 1 month ago

I've completed 3 Kyte Learning seminars centered around use of the Google Platfor

Angela Garver 4 years, 1 month ago

Team leaders and department chairs at our school had a 2-hr. virtual meeting today to discuss how we will deliver lessons to our students.  Wake County would prefer that we use Google Meet for our virtual meetings, but some prefer the features of Zoom because you can mute all and end the meeting (if you are the originator of the meeting).  

Our 7th grade PLT did a virtual meeting with all of our students (optional) just to touch base and remind them of some resources available to them.  It went very well and included everyone showing each other their pets and little brothers and sisters.  It was cute and I think it helped alleviate some stress for all.  I commented that I never realized how much I would miss my students.  

I also signed up for the free Brainpop resources, so thanks for that tip, in our first webinar.  I was pleased to see that they even offer some PD.  

Yes, my 3rd grader is loving Brainpop at home. I'm glad you are connecting with your teammates and students during this time, connections are very important. Love the idea of sharing home and pets.

Elizabeth Rabb 4 years, 1 month ago

We are using Google Classroom to push out online learning and review information starting this week/early next week. After spring break, we will begin presenting new content via Google Classroom.

I studied for and passed the Google Certified Educator Level 1--so I'm pretty jazzed about that! Also, I've been posting "This Day In History" facts and student birthdays in Google Classroom each day--it's been so nice being able to interact with my students!

Talia Davis 4 years, 1 month ago

1. I'm in Wake County and currently we have not been given any direction on how to do Remote Learning with our students. We've been told that we will start Remote Learing on April 13 (which to me is too long) and we will be fiven more information at a later time. 

2. I have created a journal assignment in Canvas for my students to journal day by day waht is going on. I have not used Canvas with students this year, so I had to send a message through Talking Points to the parents to tell the kids to log in. We'll see how it goes. 

Mark Hipps 4 years, 1 month ago

I teach in Wake County, and our current remote landscape is evolving rapidly. Many teaches in my school already use the google platform to some extent. Teaching science content wil not be an issue, however STEM activities, labs, PBL activities do presen a challenge. I have been loking into Mosa Mack and some other lonline resources.

Also check out the virtual field trips from Discovery and Tynker is offering free access during school closures.

Rikki Gibbs 4 years, 1 month ago

1. Wake County's remote learning plan is to start rolling out new material after "spring break" is over.

2. As a performing arts teacher, I've created an opportunity for my students to have a Google Hangout with a professional actress this Friday.

DENNIS DRAUGHON 4 years, 1 month ago

Dennis Draughon from Smithfield Middle,

Our school's remote learning landscape was somewhat hindered by our not being allowed to use our GoogleClass resources for the first ten days of supplemental instruction.

Other than Zoom, this webinar platform and 3CX, I haven't had any chance to really create any new digital content to share for #GoOpenNC

I understand this is a difficult time but thank you for exploring #GoOpenNC and I hope you will find resources that can help you.

Kristen Larsen 4 years, 1 month ago

I work for Wake County and agree with everyone from Wake that's already commented. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days! Google Meet is encouraged but I much prefer Zoom and it is unclear whether it is "allowed" or not.

I joined a book study for a book about motivation and will be able to apply new knowledge to my teaching.

I love the opportunties for more self learning - good luck with the book study!

MARY TUCK 4 years, 1 month ago

Hello!  I'm in WSFCS and we are on Day 5 of Learning from Home via our LMS (PowerSchool Learning).  We distributed Chromebooks to around 8000 students and are distributing hot spots to around 4000 families this week.  It has been definite uncharted territory!  

This week I have held virtual PLTs with groups of teachers via Zoom and Microsoft Teams... both were new experiences for me.

Wow Mary, hats off to helping distribute all of those chromebooks and hot spots! Keep learning and sharing:)

NINA EADDY 4 years, 1 month ago

Monday was our first dar for At-Home Learning....we are not grading yet but just beginning our transition to digital (at-home) learning.

I just recently built my Google Classroom and I am taking sessions on using Nearpod.

NICOLE BRITTNER 4 years, 1 month ago

1) The school district I teach in utilizes Canvas and Google Classroom as our remote learning landscapes. Remind is also used as an additional communication tool between teachers and parents/ guardians. 

2) One tool that teachers, including myself, are learning to use during this time, is Zoom for conferencing with students. The administration held a virtual faculty meeting earlier this week with Zoom and it went very well. Zoom seems very user friendly and beneficial.

Shanna Dowd 4 years, 1 month ago

My school is using Google Classroom primarily - many of us have already started using the Google Meet platform to connect with our students. Other teachers have been using Zoom as well - now with caution due to the warnings from the chalkbeat.org article. 

A new digital tool I've started learning about (other than here) is the Legends of Learning interactive games and Nearpod. A very different way I am communicating with my students is the Google Hangouts chat - I do not have regular or frequent access to the Chromebook cart when we are at school so I had never reached out to my students with this medium. I'm finding now that if I'm online with my school email open later in the evening they are reaching out to me which makes me feel like we may develop an even stronger rapport by the time the remote learning is done. 

George Preiss 4 years, 1 month ago

I have been reading the novel The Outsiders with many of my students on Google Meets.

KENDRICK LEAK 4 years, 1 month ago

We are also using Google Classroom and Powerschool Learning for the students, while as a staff, we are using Microsoft Teams to hold staff meetings. 

Kimberley Hindman 4 years, 1 month ago

My school district is encouraging us to use Google Classroom and the other Google Tools for remote learning.

I have been using Google Meet with my middle school students and taught them how to use Doc Hub to edit pdfs.

Sandra Byrd 4 years, 1 month ago

I collaborated with other CTE-FACS teachers within my district.  I completed 20+ Kyte Learning courses and this, my second webinar!

TODD SOUTHARD 4 years, 1 month ago

At our school many teachers are using several platforms.  Our 8th grade team is using Google Classroom for learning at this time.

One opportunity that I had this week is to learn about using Zoom.  One example was being able to see my 4 year olds preschool use Zoom this week to connect them so they could see each other and talk, read and enjoy each other!

Yes, learning is so social and virtual platforms allow our students to connect in a time of social distancing!

Jodie Etheridge 4 years, 1 month ago

WCPSS would like us to use the Google platform.  Sharing is difficult at this time because all my students have a digital rescource to use at home with Google.

Yes, this crisis is definitely highlighting the equity gaps that exisit. I'm hoping we can all come together to address them.

Christine Chun 4 years, 1 month ago

I teach at a Charter school in Orange County and we are starting to prepare to transition into remote learning in the next 2 weeks.  

This week, I've been trying out different websites to create videos- I've tried Screencastify (free for educators if you use the code CAST_COVID until April 30- they may extend the free educator upgrade if schools end up staying remote longer), Screencast-O-Matic (free trial for 30 days), and the one I will more than likely use Zoom.

I have yet to decide whether I will be using EdPuzzle (wonderful resource) https://go.Edpuzzle.com/covid-pro.html or just keep it simple with a video or a video plus a Google Slide.

I also plan on trying FlipGrid and have already started seeing great student engagement!

I found this Helpful Blog, they have been navigating the transition into distance learning for 7 weeks, so it is nice to read what has worked for them.

Thank you for sharing resources. I agree its best to keep it simple. I love Screencast-O-Matic, its the only tool I pay for.

ELIZABETH RAPPOLD 4 years, 1 month ago

At my school in New Hanover County, we are mostly planning to use Google Classroom to facilitate remote learning. Our biggest challenge seems to be reaching students who are in homes with limited or no devices and/or challenging work environments. We are afraid that this is only going to highlight the inequities between students. I like the resources provided here that can easily be made into paper versions. 

I have used many digital tools this week to connect with colleagues such as Padlet, Dotstorming, and Flipgrid. Today we held our first school improvement team meeting via Zoom! 

Love the connections and I agree we are definitely seeing inequities across the state due to the crisis. I hope we are able to address this to make learning accessible to all.

Aaron Fussell 4 years, 1 month ago

I am also in Wake County and I anticipate using Google Classroom to present new material, but this is a first for me, so I am still working out the logistics of getting students into my GCs.

I have not created anything yet, but I plan on filming myself presenting math lessons and science demonstrations, then posting the videos on GC along with handouts and informal assessments.

NOEL PERRY 4 years, 1 month ago

I am in Harnett County.  Our District has been rolling out remote learning during these unprecedented times.  I use Google Classroom and I have learned a great deal from today's webinar.

I have created several Google Classroom Quizzes for my students this week.  

Sounds like a good plan, keep it simple and give yourself and your students grace as we all adapt!