April 8th - Webinar #2 Discussion Board

by Joanna Schimizzi 4 years ago

Hello to our Remote Learning Educator colleagues!

Please share two things in your reply! (Please be sure to have your reply be to THIS original post to reduce email notifications.)

1) Share any details about your school's/district's Remote Learning Landscape.

2) Share one opportunity that you’ve created this week in the midst of difficulty. (You could share a new digital tool you've started learning or a different way to communicate with families or...)

LYNN PRICE 4 years ago

My school is using Google Classroom as our main avenue of providing lessons and resources as well as communicating with students.  in the middle school our teams are also sending out a weekly email to parents still in addition to their sharing privileges through GC to make sure everyone knows what is expected.  We are all involved in online webinars/PDs similar to this from a lot of sources to maximize our capability to provide for all children

I have learned to create drag and drop activites, best practices when using Screencastify and also using Google Classroom in new ways despite having used it for 3 years.  I have enjoyed learning new things in my later years of teaching.

KAREN KAEDING 4 years ago

Have you had any problems using Zoom?   I was thinking about the recent hacking incidents.   Our school district has advised not to use it for this reason.   Teachers were disappointed since ZOOM is such a great platform.

KATHRYN SIEGEL 4 years ago

Hi Karen,

We have not had any issues using Zoom. I only use it with my kids in emergency cases, like they really don't get it and need me to tutor them. I use Canvas conferences too, that is a little safer. I understand that not all schools use that plateform. 

We made a folder with E lessons for 6, 7th and 8th grade.  Students who did not have computers had a computer checked out to them. Students are able to contact us remotely during office hours.

The tool that we are using with great success is ScreenCastify. It helps us give timely feedback to our students and students still see you even though the content is on the screen. I created an opportunity for my students to express their thoughts on E-learning by sending them a Screencastify link that they can easily access without having to register or adding ScreenCastify to Chrome. My students have been very responsive to this prompt.

Dorothy Shumate 4 years ago

Our school was beginning to use google classroom but it was not a daily occurance.  We have all had to learn new ways to teach with our sschool being out.  We are learning as we go.

Richard Butler 4 years ago

My school is using Google classroom. We are using google meet to hold meetings with students and for our PLC's. We are also using the Remind app to communicate with parents so they are able to stay current on our assignments. For me, it has been getting use to teaching without an audience. I think for a lot of teachers that has been the hardest part. There isn't a substitute for seeing the students and being able to feel if they understand or not. So, I'm trying to make sure I stay in touch with parents as much as possible to see if they have any questions. 

TONI CHURCH 4 years ago

We are using Google HangOuts, Zoom, and Canvas Learning. These tools have been successful with student involment and parents as well. Several of our students have been responsive and compliant. For students that we are seeing without a device, we are making it possible for them to come to the school to pick up and join in....Also paper packets have been created as well to insure all of our students are doing some sort of remote learning and being engaged.

Connie Oliver 4 years ago

1) We are using Google classroom, Google meet and Google hangout.

2)  I have actually began to use Google classroom.  I have been trained in it in the past, but hadn't used it until now with our new "normal".

1. The school is using Google Classroom for remote learning.

2. I created an electronic meetup.

Veronica Smith 4 years ago

My district is using Google Classroom to upload work. We are using Google Hangouts to meet with students. All teachers had to create business hours when they can meet with students. 

TRACY HOLMES 4 years ago

Our District is in Phase four of remote learning. We are currently using Canvas for our assignments. I am a CTE Teacher, I am currently using VJS ( Virtually Job Shadowing). I would like to see more information on Career Explorations.

Thanks

LESLIE SNEED 4 years ago

We have many students that have limited or no acces to internet and I have worked over the phone with them to anser questions.  We have also held Zoom meetings for each class and as an EC Teacher I am holding my on Zoom classes for students to attend and bring any of their assignents to receive help.  

We have also used Google Hangouts, Remind and Canvas Messenger 

Kristin Ward 4 years ago

1) We are posting all assignments on google classroom, using Zoom for daily Q&A, sent home review packets for students who do not have internet access

2) Gave students a choice board activiy using measures of central tendency where they got to pick something like "tik tok videos", "commercials" "video game rounds" "chores" "something physical" Where they would record ten times, and answer questions from the choice board accordingly. Options from the choice board include collaborating with a peer and comparing data. 

Our school is working through Google Classroom and sending newsletters to parents. We are all learning a lot! 

I have worked on creating Screencastify videos for my students to check in and help them work through their activities for the week. 

NICOLE HUCKS 4 years ago

1) My school is using Google Classroom as it's main way to communicate assignments to students. We are focusing on reviewing material already covered throughout the school year.

2) I started using Google Forms to create a Math problem of the day to track how many students are working daily.

REGINA STAFFORD 4 years ago

I am working at a charter school in Hollister, NC -Haliwa-Saponi Tribal School- which is in a very remote area.  There are several of my students who have no access to internet because service providers cannot provide internet in their area.  We are looking into setting up hotspots, but in the meantime, our teachers have made packet/notebooks.  Students pick up the notebooks one day a week, and drop off their previous week's work at that time.  This past week we prepared two weeks of work so we will not have another "pick up" day until after Spring Break.  Personally, as a math and science teacher, I gave students assignments in Coach workbooks and learned workbooks.

I was able to create a zoom video to help some of my 8th graders with performing operations with scientific notation., a lesson in their coach workbooks.  It was super to see them again and they said it helped!

TAMIKIA HARVEY 4 years ago

My school is utilizing Google classroom and Zoom. They have been good uses for Remote Learning. The difficulty with it was people entering zoom rooms and keeping students engaged and working diligently in google classroom.

One opportunity that I have learned to use in the midst of difficulty was Flipgrid. I think using this as a tool for their weekly reflection allows them another opportunity to express themselves rather than writing all the time.

JANE BLACKWOOD 4 years ago

1. My school has been utilizing the Zoom and Google classroom tools  with remote learning for our students. I have used google classroom in the past however I have certainly embraced new ways to add videos, assignments, etc. to reach all of my learners.

2. One opportunity I have embraced and learned in the midst of the new remote learning challenges is contacting parents by phone in the google chat/hangouts.

We are all Google and were already using Classroom for posting assignments and we have added Google Meet for our live lesson. 

The silver lining to this has been expanding my knowledge of ways to use not only Classroom but also best ways to video lessons. My students are sometimes unable to view Loom videos so I am beginning to use a screen recording from my ipad and posting this in to Classroom/Classwork.

Angela Laycock 4 years ago

1. My teachers are using Google Classroom and Zoom.

2. I am helping my teachers with online resources and professional development opportunities.

CURTIS MORGAN 4 years ago

1. Some teachers at my school use Canvas and others Google Classroom as their learning platform.  I have been collaborating with my colleagues to plan lessons using CK-12 to provide new instruction for our students.  We are creating Google Slides and assigning lessons on our platfrom through CK-12.  I have greatly enjoyed learning about CK-12 and enjoy the interactive lessons and descriptive feedback that it has provided for my students.  I have then been able to give students meaningful and constructive feedback through Zoom session and Canvas.

2. I have had the opportunity to use Zoom to have Office Hour sessions with groups of students to help them troubleshoot issues with CK-12 and Canvas.  I've also been able to highlight common misconceptions and areas of disequilibrium for particular standards and topics.  I've been able to have mini-lessons which focus on commonly missed problems.  I am able to provide students the opportunity for live practice while I can assist in the role of a facilitator that answers their questions instantly through Zoom.

I am learning Zoom and how to reach out to my students and parents. Some parents need the interaction more than the students so I have set up time for parent only talks.

Janice Stowell 4 years ago

1) Wake Cty School's district platform is very robust with lots of online tools and almost 1:1 access for students. We use Google Classroom and recently Google Meet/hangouts to connect with families. We also use Flipgrid for our EL curriculum in ELA that is standards-based and kid-friendly. One opportunity I have created is communication with parents daily through our Talking Points App and student gmail. One new digital tool that I have added recently is www.getepic.com for online library.

My district is allowing teachers to use either Google Classroom or Canvas as our main instructional platform. To make it consistant for parents, each school will create a canvas link for each teacher. If a teacher uses Google Classroom, teachers are required to include their Google Classroom link on the information tab in Canvas.

Teachers are using a variety of methods for direct instruction and communication. We have been given several options for video conferencing, most teachers are using Google Meet. For quick discussions, Hangout has been great. My students are always quick to send me emails.

Due to distance learning, communication has been vital for parents. I have been sending parents regular announcements of what their students are expected to be working on, including links to the material and any resources I found to be important. This is similar to what I do during a regular school year, but at this time, parents have been sending back positive feedback.

1. We are currently using Canvas and Google Classroom as our learning management systems.

2. I have explored new features of Google Classroom that would be more beneficial for students during this type of learning.  

TARA DOAN 4 years ago

My school is using Google Classroom as the main platform for remote learning. We are posting weekly assingments, as opposed to daily assingments, to reduce the constant notifications for our families. 

I am using Zoom meetings to check in with students and make sure they understand assingments. Today, I hosted a live game using Gimkit to review vocabulary. It seemed to work really well, even on our first try!

REGINA NOWLING 4 years ago

My name is Regina Nowling and I teach 8th grade science.  Our school uses multiple resources but the resource that I use is Googe Classroom and Ck12.

JULIA DAWSON 4 years ago

Our remotre learning lanscape includes each student armed with a device of some sort, internet access in our "park & learn" locations around our community, Google Classrooms and/or Canvas. I use Loom to record 90 second PD for my staff each Friday. I know have my teachers using it to voice over their Google slides. Students like seeing their faces on a daily basis. 

CHARMAINE SWANN 4 years ago

Remote learning in my district consist of students with weekly paper packets if they do not have web access or if they wish to complete assignment on paper.  Assignments are available online in google forms.  Each grade level has a link on the school website.

*Assignment participatication is tracked in a spreadsheet weekly and contact is made with email, classtag or phone(google voice) is  if students are not participating.  I am using  google meet with a colleague and "Flocabulary" and "Ledgends of Learning "to keep students engaged.  

Amber Crossman 4 years ago

Our district is limiting the time that students should work on each class.  They have put out a sample schedule for the students to follow to help them stay on task and working.  It will end up being about two lessons a week for each class at the middle school level.  We have been given the choice as to how to share the information with our students.  I will be using a combination of my class website and Google Classroom to share the curriculum with my students.  

This week, I have worked with one co-worker to create a choice board for my students.  I really like it and think the students will find it fun, creative, and a little challenging at times.  

RONDA FRIEL 4 years ago

Our school is primarily using Google Classroom as a "go to" source for the students.  It has been incredibly beneficial so as to keep down on the confusion for the students.  

There is no way I can describe how many things I have learned in the last few weeks that I thought I already knew!  Google Classroom has benefits that I have never used.  Zoom, Screencastify, etc. are all new to me and navigating these resources has been an adventure.  I think we all have had to re-learn how to teach, but this knowledge will rollover into future years.  It's going to be interesting to see how many of these resources are used in my classroom in the future.  A whole new world has opened up for all of us.