March 23rd Discussion

by Joanna Schimizzi 4 years, 1 month ago

Hello to our Remote Learning Educator colleagues!

Please share two things in your reply! (Please be sure to have your reply be to THIS original post to reduce email notifications.)

1) Introduce yourself (name, what you teach, other ed-related information)

2) Share one resource that you have created that you think you would consider contributing to #GoOpenNC.

Sandy Fidance 4 years, 1 month ago

Hi, my name is Sandy Fidance. I am a teacher at Bunn High in the CTE-Business group. I have been teaching for 13 years, beginning in my home state of Delaware. 

One of my favorite lessons in Economics and Principles of Business is the Circular Flow of Economic Activity prepared by the Federal Reserve Bank. It involves the students moving around the room making deals, either as a business looking for resources to make products or as a consumer looking to sell their human resources in order to have money to buy the product. It is confusing at first, but in the second round things get quite heated as some resources (intentionally) are in short supply. The students then switch roles and we play two more rounds so they get the economic perspective from both angles. I throw in gov't interventions (positive and negative) too in the last two rounds.

Jennifer Aldridge 4 years, 1 month ago

Hello! My name is Jennifer Aldridge. I teach students in IB DP Literature Year 1 (Junior English in the IB program) and IB TOK Year 2 (Senior Theory of Knowledge in the IB program) at North Mecklenburg High School in Huntersville, NC, a CMS school.  I've been in education since 1988 and in the public school classroom since 2006.  

I have taught all grades and levels of high school English, and one tool that I have shared with some of my colleagues is a version of TPCASTT that I adapted to use with AP style prose rhetorical analysis.  It is a framework/guide that reminds students of the sequence of analysis necessary to identify and evaluate what is happening in any text whether assigned in class or presented on an exam.  My students who use it regularly find that they internalize a process for reading, annotating and responding that helps them be successful.  While it is originally designed to be filled out by hand while a student is reading a physical text, if loaded as a template it could be copied and used by students online. Students could toggle between the text and the template. 

Pam Batchelor 4 years, 1 month ago

Hi Jennifer, the template would be amazing to share in #GoOpenNC if possible. 

MARIE SHERRILL 4 years, 1 month ago

My name is Marie Sherrill, and I am currently teaching English III and AP Lang. 

I'm not sure if there is anything that I have created completely on my own, and I have taught for 20 years. I have tons and tons of lessons, but I think they are all compilations and adaptations of other people's ideas combined with my own. 

Hi Marie, I agree that really, all work in some way is influenced by past work of others...so consider sharing with attribution to the ideas/authors that inspired your work. Thanks!

Tammy Hovis 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey! My name is Tammy Hovis and this is my 30th year teaching Art in Gaston County Schools. I'm not sure exactly what I am doing with this so I may come back and add more at a later time. 

HAILEY RAZA-SPEARMAN 4 years, 1 month ago

Good evening! My name is Hailey Raza-Spearman, M.Ed. I am a ELA teacher at a traditional, NC high school in Cleveland County. I have been working on an Adulting 101 unit targeting high school seniors that I am considering uploading to #GoOpenNC, because I think it contains extrememly helpful information that is useful to students across the state

The past three weeks have definitely been a crash course in adulting...please share your unit!

Melinda Mouzzon 4 years, 1 month ago

1) I'm Melinda Mouzzon.  I teach AP Calculus AB and (H) Math III, but have taught every course our districts has offered in my 29 years of teaching in WCPSS.  I sponsor, Girls Who Code Club, at my school which promotes diversity, equity, and advocacy for STEAM related careers.

2) I haven't created an online lesson I feel sharing here but I am working on fine-tuning the online resources I've prepared over the past 8 days.  Once they are in a more polished state, I will certainly submit them for other NC teachers to review, use, and critique.

Thank you Melinda for joining our community and I look forward to seeing your work:)

TAMMY PERRY 4 years, 1 month ago

My name is T. Michelle Perry and I teach Busines and Marketing Education. One resource that I have created is guided notes for some lessons and powerpoints for students. This is a very interesting platform for NC!

Hi Michelle, thank you for joining us and we would love to see your CTE resources in #GoOpenNC

SHEA RICE 4 years ago

My name is Shea Rice and I teach English 1 (Standard, Honors and Seminar levels) at East Forsyth High School.  One resource I would possibly share that I created is my Honors/Seminar project that teaches students how to do dialectical journals.