April 8th - Webinar #2 Discussion Board

by Joanna Schimizzi 4 years ago

Hello to our Remote Learning Educator colleagues!

Please share two things in your reply! (Please be sure to have your reply be to THIS original post to reduce email notifications.)

1) Share any details about your school's/district's Remote Learning Landscape.

2) Share one opportunity that you’ve created this week in the midst of difficulty. (You could share a new digital tool you've started learning or a different way to communicate with families or...)

CHRISTINA FINCH 4 years ago

So far, my schools Remote Learning is on Google Classroom. Many teachers are teaching on Google Meet, and some have taken home their elmo's to help teach student. For Phase 3, we are all going to try to meet on Google Meet with our students. 

I've started learning GoOpen, and setting up meeting with team members on Google Meet. I have almost figured out how to send "read" reciepts to all my students on Google Classroom. 

Marcy Wurtele 4 years ago

Our grade level PLC and Title One Teacher created a common Google Classroom to place and pull resources, assignment and activities from. 

Still learning the ins and outs of Google Classroom-working on understanding using Google Slide with Google Classroom

Eric Kajca 4 years ago

1) we use a variety of tools to conduct remote learning: google classroom, canvas, edgenuity, personally i love doing webquests (i even do them when we are in school). our district has been huge on contact with students. Of which I have but I am terrible at recording my contacts.

2) the aforementioned edgenuity is new to me and just finished another webinar on using it. I have had a few new ideas as to how to teach during this time. However, they mostly deal how to combine this kind of learning with actual face time with the students.

Inmaculada Hill 4 years ago

#2. The same happened to me yesterday. I cannot use the resources through this virtual teaching.

CHRISTINE LINSE 4 years ago

As of Monday we are now beginning new learning, this week I have supported other service providers on EC instruction.

Hello,

My school's remote learning landscape is a combination of Google Classroom and Canvas.

I've found a the discussion boards on Canvas to be quite useful for connecting with students.

KAREN NOTESTINE 4 years ago

We are using a many differnt programs at this time, Google Classroom, EdPuzzle, Go Formative, Quizzez, LearnZillion, Khanacademy, Classworks, and Zoom to name a few. 

I am getting better at stream lining and organizing online learning for my students. I have found that sending out a "To Do" list everyday have resulted in more student particaption. 

Kathleen Weber 4 years ago

Learning about this resource for the first time.  I hope that educators keep adding to it!  I ilke that you can add straight to Google Classroom

SUSAN DAVIS 4 years ago

At my school we are using a variety of platforms from Google Classroom, Zoom, Canvas, Quizizz,Google Meet, and Microsoft Teams.

This week I have been using study.com lessons that correlate to my curriculum. I had begun the process of getting my students used to Google Classroom Discussion and Zoom. My students are not interested in participating in Zoom overall, and I have a few security concerns.

1. At the moment, we have a hodgepodge. District has Canvas, but many teachers are not comfortable with that. Lots of staff using GoogleClassroom and some using ClassDojo. Communication and videos are also all over the place, GoogleHangout, Zoom, YouTube and more. 

2. It wasn't this week, but when we closed on March 13th I realized we, Media Coordinators or ITF's also running the Media Center, needed a way to share informtion and support each other. So I started an unofficial weekly meeting for anyone who wanted to join. Now all 29 of us attend as well as admin when they have information to share. I'm really happy how this has helped us get closer as a team and help each other.

Pam Batchelor 4 years ago

I love that you took the initative to get the weekly meetings started! It is so important to communicate regularly during this time of remote work.

Inmaculada Hill 4 years ago

1) This morning we were told that online grades we posted after April 13 will not count at all. I have spent countless hours reading students' work, grading assignments and calling parents/students to turn in work...for nothing. We had to redo our Q3 grades! I am so disappointed and upset with all this late online teaching...

2) YEsterday, I attended two webinars, one on Charlala and the other on Classkick. I haven't tried any resource yet because I am focussing on updating grades right now. I am counting the hours for my Spring Break!!! Good Friday, here I come!!

I hope you had a restful break and while it may seem like you lost time, checking in with families and giving feedback to students is vaulable and you will benefit from that investment. 

Ashley Berdeau 4 years ago

We are using Google Classroom for our remote learning

This week I reoorganized my "Classwork Tab in 11 classes so that it is more user friendly. I have been trying to add resources the students would like to use to create art

Currently, my school community is using Google Classroom, Zoom, and other media platforms to teach remotely.  Working remotely has its challenges and keeping students engaged and interested is an ongoing process.  Bouncing ideas off one another, within my school, has been beneficial.  It allows me to see what is working for someone else.  

One opportunity I've learned about this week is the advanced search option within this platform.  I really like the way you can refine the search based on "time."  Using this filter allows me to find additional quick checks for students for bellwork or exit tickets.  

JULIE TREECE 4 years ago

My county is doing asynchronous digital instruction.  I have been using Screencastify to record materials and my corresponding instructions for the materials.  I am using Google classroom; my county is using either Canvas or Google classroom in addition to paper copies of material.  A fellow instructor posted a 'wellness' assignment yesterday using Padlet.  It seemed to engage the students and got a very good response.  I am planning to use that in the future for some assignments.

Yes, social and emotional wellness is so important right now! Keeping the connections going can be hard depending on the age of your students.

Karen D'Elia 4 years ago

In Wake County, our district supports the use of these remote learning environments:  Canvas, Google Classroom and Seesaw.

One thing I've created is a private Facebook Group called, "Tech Mates" for educators who are interested in sharing information and ideas about technology.  Submit a request to join if you're interested!  :-)