Webinar #2 - March 25th Discussion

by Joanna Schimizzi 4 years, 1 month ago

Hello to our Remote Learning Educator colleagues!

Please share two things in your reply! (Please be sure to have your reply be to THIS original post to reduce email notifications.)

1) Share any details about your school's/district's Remote Learning Landscape.

2) Share one opportunity that you’ve created this week in the midst of difficulty. (You could share a new digital tool you've started learning or a different way to communicate with families or...)

Maribeth Priest 4 years, 1 month ago

1) We are still trying to navigate everything. There is a major learning curve for teachers so I know it will be a learning curve for students. We are preparing parent letters about virtual meetings. As curriculum support, we are working to support teachers as well as provide professional learning to support this major change. 

2) I have been experimenting with screencast videos and virtual lessons for Google Classroom. 

Cynthia Clavijo 4 years, 1 month ago

I love screen cast. I always have to reteach myself because I don't use it often, but it is fairly user friendly once I remember :)

Cynthia Clavijo 4 years, 1 month ago

1) Very diverse landscape in terms of student accessiblity, teacher knowledge, and usage. Our school set the expectation of all staff being google level 1 certified before our opening (we were a new school next year).  So many of our staff are comfortable with use of google as a platform.  We also conduct all state assessments at our school digitally and take measures to prepare our students for this type of assessing by embedding digital learning into our lessons.  However, student home access is limited for about 1/3 of our students.

2) As instructional facilitator I continued a PD we have been doing on a book entitled Total Participation Techniques by setting up a google classroom for the remaining chapters and assigning work within the chapters. The work required collaboration through various methods such as google classroom streams, padlet, email, etc. This has not only helped us continue our PD, but has kept our staff connected and resulted in virtical conversations that have been very rich.

Kristin Speakman 4 years, 1 month ago

1. My County is still planning at this point. We have a timeline in place and I am guessing we will get more details of what to expect by the end of the week. 

2. I have been reaching out through Class Dojo to families and am lucky to have all my students' families connected. For the students I have been sharing fun activities that they can do ( not mandatory) to keep them thinking. We are using Google Classroom - and I have had a pretty steady flow of my students checking in and making comments on activities daily for the last week.

Camille Carroll 4 years, 1 month ago

Our system uses both of these digital tools in our elementary schools as well (Class Dojo & Google Classroom).  Since students were familiar with the tools already, it has been a smoother transition to remote learning in that aspect.  All of our students don't have devices at home, however.

Pam Batchelor 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree it's so important to continue using tools that students and parents are already familar with!

DANIELLA ROBINSON 4 years, 1 month ago

1) Like many of us, we're trying our best to get things going on. My school is trying to set up a youtube channel for our students. Many teachers (including myself) were using google class so they are in the process of tranfering more resources there. Some others were using CANVAS in their classes to post assignments so now they are posting lessons there as well. But my county is a small rural county so some student still don't have either internet access nor a device to use it.

2) This week I had the opportinity to support teachers at my School that were not able to communciate with parents through REMIND or DOJO. I've tried Google voice throguh my lapotop -not my personal phone-, and I liked it, it's free and you can make phone calls and send text messages too.

That's great that you are reaching out to the students and parents not on remind or dojo...I worry about those students and families- do they know what resources are available to them? Great work.

Tracey Shepard 4 years, 1 month ago

1) The Kannapolis City Schools District is using an online choice board for students to access which is broken down by grade level and content area. Currently the choice board reflects short term assignments. However, teachers have been working all week throughout the district to create long term grade level plans in each content area which will be available for families this weekend.  These plans  utilize online resources, teacher made instructional videos in loom, and updated choice boards based on this quarter's standards.

2) I have created Lucy Caulkins poetry unit writing lessons using LOOM. Our school staff have leaned how to  use ZOOM for digital meetings with staff and families. We continue to use BLOOMZ to keep in immediate contact with families. 

MIRTA GALEANO-BEASLEY 4 years, 1 month ago

I am new to the GoOpenNC. I am exploring it and descovering how it is organized. It has been a little bit overwhelming but really interesting. A lot of resources to use!!!!

Thank you for taking time to explore! It's definitely an overwhelming time for all of us, give yourself a pat on the back!

Wendy Bardeen 4 years, 1 month ago

1) My district is still in a planning phase for our remote learning roll out for April 13. We have received a timeline for hopefully getting our new teacher laptops soon. The  expectation has been set at our school leve that we are in touch with our families. I have been in touch with them and sent out several fun resources as well as some math and reading review over email and through Google classroom. 

2) I have set up a Google Meet with my class for a chat and read aloud. I had about 7 students sign in (over a 1/3) of my class. They were so excited to talk to me and each other. I am still learning how to use it effectively and for a teaching tool. 

Connection is so important during this time! Learning is social...I bet your students are learning more than you think!

KAREN STRADER 4 years, 1 month ago

1.  Currently we are using a Google resource folder for our parents to access some of the things we use in the classroom like News2You.  We are going to receive a two day training to refresh how to use Canvas and that is how out district wants us to share instruction with the parents.  

2.  We have been 'on hold' for the most part and not created anything new.

NANCY NEEDHAM 4 years, 1 month ago

1.  We are definitely on the upswing of the learning curve with regards to remote learning.  Many of our students do not have computer/wifi access.  Although we do have DOJO and all my parents are connected with most responding.

2.  I have been learning a lot about ZOOM and flip grid.  I already use Google Classroom with my students but because I have so many without access I haven't been able connect through GC yet.

KATHY PARRISH 4 years, 1 month ago

Our school's remote learning landscape includes Google classroom, classtag, Zoom, and Dojo. I was already utilizing Classtag so I have continued that with my students. One opportunity that our grade level has incorporated is the use of a Weebly site for supplemental instruction opportunities. Each of us contribute to the Weebly site and it is accessible to all 2nd grade students at our school. I am interested in exploring the use of Zoom for the upcoming weeks.

PATRICIA CHAMBLEE 4 years, 1 month ago

1) We are learning and sharing information with families as we go.  As a district, we have been instructed to provide printed packets for all K-2 students; this is what we have done at our school.  We created packets as a grade level, and we have also created a grade-level webpage and Facebook page with additional information/learning opportunities for those with internet access.  The districit technology department has also shared several digital tools that we can now share with students for use at home. 

2)  One opportunity I have had is to encourage more of my parents to connect to ClassDojo, as I use this as a communication tool.  

Stacy Mancera 4 years, 1 month ago

1) Our school is waiting for another couple of weeks to start remote learning. They are trying to get a plan in place for people without the internet or devices. Currently, they are planning to send home choice board packets.

2) I started using Remind 101 for my parents because it goes straight to their cell phone, which I love. I use Dojo but sometimes parents won't go in there and check it. I am working on getting most of my parents up there. 

Melinda Wegner 4 years, 1 month ago

1) We are still trying to figure it all out. 

2) I used Google Meet to chat with some of my students. 

MINTORIA WEBSTER 4 years, 1 month ago

1) Share any details about your school's/district's Remote Learning Landscape.

Our school is having 2-5 teachers to set up a google classroom to make assignments. We are sending home devices for stuents that do not have them and are offering WiFi in our schools' parking lots.

2) Share one opportunity that you’ve created this week in the midst of difficulty. (You could share a new digital tool you've started learning or a different way to communicate with families or...)

I have been communicating with families through Class Dojo and have been recording read alouds on there. I have also been setting up opportunities for students to respond for class discussion on flipgrid and have been assigning a lot of choice boards to the google classroom that align with our standards.

Tanya Johnson 4 years, 1 month ago

We are currently in the process of creating our Remote Learning.  We have begun creating digital resources and training teachers how to best use those resources.  

One opportunity I created was a virtual meeting with students using Google Meet. 

KATHERINE KLYNSTRA 4 years, 1 month ago

1) We have many students who have access and are ready for remote learning, but we have others that haven't been able to even respond to teacher messages. We are trying to figure out the basics. 

2) I have started using Google Meet and I am learning to LOVE it! It is easy for me, teachers and students. 

Kelley Pulugurtha 4 years, 1 month ago

1) I don't know much yet. My principal has been very open- she is letting us make many choices. I will probably be using Google Classroom. But no county-wide info yet.

2) I guess one opportunity I have had is a chance to work on my Spanish haha. I called home to a few of my Spanish-speaking families to talk to my students. I've become very proficient at saying "My name is Mrs. Pulugurtha, a teacher at Forestville Road Elementary. Is ___ home? May I speak to them?" 

That is an awesome opportunity to learn something new and build those connections with families!

Lori Stafford 4 years, 1 month ago

1)  Our Blended Learning department has been instrumental in getting our large district up and running.  Next week, we will be given a learning schedule based on our grade level.  Our younger students will be learning at the beginning of the day, then middle and high school students.  Students will be given time to play and have lunch.  It will be interesting to see how this works.

2)  I learned how to use Canvas through a self guided study and Zoom.

Mary Ann Felts 4 years, 1 month ago

I've been tracked out and so I'm feeling lost.  This is all very helpful.

Hang in there, this is a difficult time for all of us. I'm glad #GoOpenNC is helpful, lean in to us in the group for help!

CHELSEA SUTHERLAND 4 years, 1 month ago

1) We too are still navigating how we will conduct remote learning.  This week and last we were trying to guage our students' access to technology.  This week students were able to come to the school and pick up a chromebook.  This week students are relying on our online learning resources & choice boards (provided by the county) to get their reading and math content review each day.  As that is going on, my PLC is choosing the use Loom to teach our students virtually (once we start teaching new content). 

2) One new opportunity for me has been learning to use Loom.  It's honestly super easy but I had never tried it before all this. 

Heather Furr 4 years, 1 month ago

We are currently using several digital platforms.  One being Zoom, another SeeSaw which is geared more towards lower elementary.  We will be having a Zoom meeting to discuss what we're doing as a group and ideas going forward.  

I've been able to use both Zoom and SeeSaw together so that students that couldn't participate in real time can watch the meeting and digitally respond and get feedback from me.

Shanique Johnson 4 years, 1 month ago

1) My schod district is still working out the details on how we are  going to do remote learning. My prinipal asked teachers to contact students to see hw many of our students have devices at home. Also, teachers who come across things we can use with our students, they are sharing it with everyone in the school.

2) I have been experimenting with learning about Google Classroom and EPIC. Also, I have created a Google Clasroom and EPIC acount. 

JANICE SWOOPE 4 years, 1 month ago

This site was introduced in our arts meeting however, not much was said about how to use this site.. After viewing the webnair on Monday and tonites session I can see how this can be a useful tool to use especially now with the situation we are in now in education with teaching students online especially in the Arts. I would love to begin a Hub/group where music educators can have lessons to  use or communicate with other educators across the state. Thank you for presenting.Thisis a GREAT curriculum tool!

JANICE SWOOPE 4 years, 1 month ago

Love this platform... I wish our county would have done a professional development on this site in detail... This is a great curriculum tool.. I have been doing alot of virtual lessons via google meet and zoom.

TINA PLYLER 4 years, 1 month ago

1. At the elementary level, we are still waiting for how things are to roll out. We were given a few weeks of packet review for our kids at this point. 

2. I have been learning about Google Meet, Zoom, screencastify (?) and other ways to teach/communicate with my kids. Trying to teach an old dog new tricks (been teaching 29 years so technology still confuses me sometimes.

Courtney Beickert 4 years, 1 month ago

1) Our district is still working on finalizing plans and professional development to support teachers.  They are currently working on getting devices and internet access to those who do not have it.

2) Using Google Meet to meet with our school staff and my 5th grade team and I'm going to use it with my students on Friday!

AMANDA BAKER 4 years, 1 month ago

1). The Superintendent, Program Administrators, and School Administrators have stressed communicating with all families.  Connect Ed calls and emails are used to inform school staff and families of updates.

I am communicating with my PreK families daily through a communications app - Bloomz and created a private Facebook group for families.  I am staying in touch with school and program administrators.  I believe that our County has Remote Learning opportunities shared on the website.

2).  Since communication is a top priority for us right now,

I have shared information about how establishing a routine for families is beneficial.  I provided helpful resources and ideas of how to create a daily schedule or routine.  I also shared a class favorite story as a bedtime story so that the children would really know that I am in touch with them and their families.

Fortunately, we use Waterford Early Learning at school and at home so that is a wonderful beginning since the children are familiar with it.  I am able to monitor and "trouble shoot" so to speak along with providing helpful tips to master a goal.

Thank you for sharing your ideas and I agree, communication is essential right now!

Stephanie Barbour 4 years, 1 month ago

1. Right now, families have access to a "Remote Learning Site" that my district created. It contains optional, supplemental activities for reviewing material already covered. Now that the closure has been extended, teachers are expected to begin virtual learning (which I believe means we will begin teaching core curriculum) on April 13th. We have not received much information or clarification on what this means yet. Teachers will be participating in collaborative planning via Google Hangouts to begin to prepare.

2. I made my first Google Form and sent it to families! It was a survey assessing each families' access to technology/devices and also their level of food security.

I love that you reached out to check on families needs, that information is so important to have right now.

MONIQUE DEROCHER 4 years, 1 month ago

I really miss seeing my kids everyday so I have learned how to use flipgrid to create responses to questions in video format. I do see a number of things I have had time to check out this week that I want to incorporate into my classroom. Now I'm thinking why didn't I do this earlier. 

I would love to do more remote learning after the crisis is over but right now only 5 of 16 students are getting online. Our district is further in the country and some of the families just don't have internet access. I always thought it was a money issue but it's not. The internet does not reach their house. We are supposed to be 21st century learners and teachers but only at school.  

AMY COOK 4 years, 1 month ago

1.  Last week, we prepared packets for ou students.  Teachers are supplementing those packets with their own lessons.  More packets will be available after our Spring Break which will be helpful to students who do not have internet access.  Remote learning is definitely a huge learning curve for all of us. (administrators, teachers, parents, and the students)

2.  I am learning to use SeeSaw, and I am also beginning to look at various tools to use to video lessons.

Brenda Page 4 years, 1 month ago

1. At this point, my school is asking grade levels to create lessons that review what they have previously taught. No new information is to be taught. Students are able to check out devices, if needed. (We are not 1 to 1) Some teachers are meeting with their students virtually. Parents can pick up packets that teachers have prepared for students who may not have internet access.

2. I have been exploring Zoom and Google meeting. I am also taking this opportunity to look at GoopenNC.

Stephanie Norris 4 years, 1 month ago

1. My school district has been very proactive during this time. They have developed a universal lesson plan format for up to 10 days worth of activities for K-12 in order to keep students engaged. 

2. One thing that I have created for my students/parents is a google drive folder with resources/activities to utilize during this time for K-5 in the areas of reading, math, science, social studies, life skills, and social/emotional skills.

That's awesome that you have shared resources...is it something you could share with the group?

CELENE LATHAM-SYM 4 years, 1 month ago

In my district we are all learning as we go to provide the best remote learning landscape that we can at the moment. School Messenger has become a main way to get information out quickly to families.

This week I have had 2 Google meet up's with my students and have provided many lessons and virtual field trip opportunities for my students. Tomorrow we are going to do an at home science experiment with my co-teacher leading in Google Meet. 

Rebekah Burleson 4 years, 1 month ago

1) I teach elementary.  As a district each level is doing different ways of remote learning.  At the elementary level we have created packets of take home work.  The first packet went out last week and the 2nd packet will be going home next week.  Each packet contains two weeks worth of work.  We use Class Dojo to communicate with parents.  Since we are elementary it has been challening to actually communicate just with the student since most of our students rely on their parents Dojo account (K-2 students).  The older students can access their Dojo portfolio to communicate with their teacher.  We have been posting extra resources on Dojo for parents to look into.  We are using Zoom to continue with PLCs, SIT meetings, PBIS meetings, etc.  

2) I would love to be able to communicate directly with my students however we were told Zoom is to only be used for meetings with colleagues.  Other than Dojo we do not use another source to communicate with students/families.

Would you be able to create a flipgrid for students to post quick check-ins and then they can see their classmates? Flipgrid is very mobile friendly and you can share the link to DoJo? Just a thought. I know how much it means to be able to connect with our students right now.

LAURA HOYT 4 years, 1 month ago

Our county has really done an amazing job putting together lessons for our students to practice skills they have already done this far in school. That has given us as teachers a platform in which to work on to build on those lessons and expecations instead of going into this with no idea. Giving us time to plan and become familiar with everything that is involved in online learning has been beneficial as well. 

One thing that I have created in the past week is a routine for my kids to be able to still be apart of our normal routine. We always did a morning meeting/book a day/check in type thing everyday. I have continue to do that with them through dojo and giving them different challenges to do everyday. They would send me a picture of what they did and I would post them on our class stories for everyone to see. I knew doing this that not everyone was going to be able to particpate but it gave the ones the could the opportunity to feel conected to their classmates without forcing them to join google chats or zoom chats when I knew they all couldn't do that. This has helped in so many ways - not only them but it has helped me still feel connected to them during this time. 

I love that you are keeping up routines as much as possible. I see the difference it makes with my own children. Kudos to your district for putting together plans and giving teachers time to prepare.