April 8th - Webinar #2 Discussion Board

by Joanna Schimizzi 4 years ago

Hello to our Remote Learning Educator colleagues!

Please share two things in your reply! (Please be sure to have your reply be to THIS original post to reduce email notifications.)

1) Share any details about your school's/district's Remote Learning Landscape.

2) Share one opportunity that you’ve created this week in the midst of difficulty. (You could share a new digital tool you've started learning or a different way to communicate with families or...)

Sophie Dudding 4 years ago

1) So far, our planning has been going well. There are 6 of us in our team (3rd gr) and I am in charge of planning the math lessons with another teacher. We are working on the 2nd lesson right now. It is taking time but it is mostly because we are not familiar with the online tools. I believe it's going to get better with practice.

2) I have discovered screencast-o-matic this week and it is making a huge difference for me! I can now record my voice during presentations! I love it!

Pam Batchelor 4 years ago

In my opinion, yes! If you have a chromebook, screencastify is a Chrome Extension that is super easy - click a button and launch.

Amy Hogsed 4 years ago

My school is using a variety of Remote Learning Landscapes right now. We are utilizing Google Classroom, Google Meet, Zoom and Loom.com. I have been using Loom.com to post my instructional videos on for my kids to view each week. 

Amy Hogsed

JULIE TRULL 4 years ago

Uion County Public Schools would like everyone to be using canvas however a lot of k-5 teachers have not moved over to canvas.  So a lot of Elementary teachers are using Google Classroom to put assigments in for students. However I work at a Title One school and a lot of our students do not have wifi so our county has also printed off packets for students to work on.

I am going through a canvas course and just created a place value activity using SMART Notebook.

Hi Everyone-   We just really got started because we were on Spring Break as all of this craziness began.  So, I am mostly working on my own, but consult with my team of 3 other 2nd grade teachers once or twice a week.  I meet online with my whole class 4 times a week.  

I've just started using "SeeSaw" to have a place where kids can upload their work to share it with me and their classmates.  It looks like it could be fun.   I also made a class website where they go each day to get assignments and links to activites.

Trying to stay sane!  ~Meg

Adrienne Parker 3 years, 10 months ago

Hi, Margaret. I have attending trainings this summer for Seesaw and our K-2 classrooms in our district may move to Seesaw as the online format for consistency.  Did you find your 2nd graders were able to navigate through Seesaw with ease?

SHAUNTIA MCLEOD 4 years ago

Our school is finishing up Phase 2 this week. Our grade level has met and divided the content areas up. I am in charge of science and social studies for the next four week after Easter break. Everything is placed in Google Classroom with a digital contract with all the assignments for each student. We are using Google Meet to prerecord any lessons and meetings due to if parents and students are not avaible throughout the day. 

I used Google Classroom but using more of the Google Suite has been more useful during this time.

Dawn Piccirillo 4 years ago

I am a elementary school teacher in the CMS school district.  I have been creating  kindergarten lessons on my google classroom.   I look forward to exploring this platform more indepth.  

If possible could you share one of your Google Classroom lessons? I am interested to see what that looks like for kindergarten.

SHERI MILLER 4 years ago

I am a k-5 enrichment teacher and I am responsible for posting assignments online for my students to complete. The opportunity this has created for me is to allow me to spend more time with my three beautiful dogs at home!

ANGELA GINGLES 4 years ago

So far for me I have had to teach my families how to get onto My google classroom. I teach second grade and this seems to have been the hardest transition for them. I have also communicated with my families through SeeSaw as well. As far as my school district is concerned we are accessing Google Hangouts and Zoom! It's been interesting.

Ruth Bawden 4 years ago

1) My district has been phenomenal in the support of our remote learning challenges. We have weekly grade level planning meetings as well as staff meetings. My coach and mentor also jump onto my zoom class meetings for support when needed and to check in with me.

2) I create weekly unplugged activities for my 2nd graders! They love them!

1. My school is allowing the teachers to make the decision on how they're sharing their remote learning landscape with their students. I am using Canvas, Zoom and Flipgrid. 

2. This week I started using Flipgrid with my classroom. 

SARAH PARSON 4 years ago

As an art teacher, I don't connect with parents on a regular basis. I have really enjoyed speaking to and getting to know all the parents at our school through distance learning platforms. Its been a great experince!

Our enhancement team created a Facebook Page for all of us to share lessons. We took a day a week and then we had a platform to communicate with parents. It is something we are going to plan to use this coming year. 

REYNA BRITAIN 4 years ago

All of my students utilize Microsoft Teams to receive and complete live lessons and assignments.  

DANIELLE CLOER 4 years ago

We are using IXL, Class Dojo, and Happy Numbers. 

This week I really struggled figuring out IXL (we weren't using it before), but after I figured it out I was able to make a tutorial to help my parents. 

DANYELLE JONES 4 years ago

1. My school is allowing the teachers to make the decision on how they're sharing their remote learning landscape with their students. I am using Zoom and Google Classroom. 

2. This week I started using Google Classroom with fidelity. We've had it since the beginning of the year but now I feel that we are really able to explore everything the platform has to offer. 

LUCY WILCOX 4 years ago

We have been trying very hard to streamline the remote learning process for our parents, who are overwhelmed by everything going on. My principal has asked the teachers at my school to use a single platform per grade level, whether we are posting our Planbook or creating a Google document. That way parents have one place to go and find what they need. I think that has been helping.

One fun thing my Specials team (I am the librarian) has done is create a playlist of "Bedtime Stories" featuring us and some other staff members reading classic and new storybooks. It's an unlisted YouTube playlist and we got permission from all the publishers. We are hoping that posting on YouTube will allow more students to access it without barriers.

Pam Batchelor 4 years ago

Hi Lucy,

I love your idea for Bedtime Stories...what a great way for all the staff to connect with families!

LUCY WILCOX 4 years ago

It's been a big hit, and we even got our administration and some of the support staff in on it! Our Adaptive PE teacher reading Eric Carle's From Head to Toe is fabulous!

ALLISON GIBSON 4 years ago

1. I teach the N.C. Prek and we have been using Remind 101 to communicate since day one, but since remote learning went into affect we started using Zoom for teaching lessons and Seesaw for daily activities. 
2. I created a Seesaw activity for the children to create a digital picture for a resident at a nursing home.   All pictures will be forwarded to a local nursing homes activity director.  Theyll print them to hand out to the residents since their families are unable to visit them. We hope it helped to spread happiness and joy. 

Grace Cole 4 years ago

I LOVE your idea for making the digital picture for the residents at a nursing home.  I'm going to have to "steal" that!

JERRI BAILEY 4 years ago

Durham Public Schools created packets for students for remote learning.  OUr students in Glenn Elementry do not have access to internet or devices.

I hav been working on hands on materials for my students to use if we resume school this year or for next year

GARRY MCCLENDON 4 years ago

1) I am in a Title I school.  I am part of a 6 teacher team teaching 4th Grade.  We are all doing remote learning now.  We have been doing remote learning since March 16, 2020.    

2)   This week, I had to learn how to cull information out of a 40-page document and put it into a format that would be easy for the students to get their tasks for the day. This was done to ensure the students spend the majority of their time learning rather than looking for the information they were being asked to learn.  For example, you can see this at the following link.  

Today's Lesson for Remote Learning

This just makes it easier for the students.  Now, the real task is making sure the information is right.  That's why I'm taking this class.  

I want to point out that the information in my document was provided to us by our district. 

CAROL CLARKE 4 years ago

1) I am the School Library Media Coordinator in a K-5 school in Western North Carolina.  We have been out of school since March 16th.  

2)  I am creating a video using Animoto of our staff holding up signs with messages to students.  We will post on our school's website and other platforms. 

Amanda Fox 4 years ago

1) I teach at a charter school that serves students with limited access to Internet and computers, so we have been creating packets, printing them, and dropping them off at students' homes. Unfortunately, there are many parents who are unreachable by phone or other means, so it's been difficult to stay in contact. As a school, we are using ClassDojo to stay in contact with the families who are able to access it.

2) I have used Zoom to hold a meeting with my students and parents, which I think might be a useful tool for conferences and parent communication when things are more normal again. This might allow parents who cannot physically come to school to feel more included.

Jannie Collett 4 years ago

Many students at our school do not have internet access. We send home packets to all students and those who have access to Google Classroom may opt to complete their packet work in G-class. The assignments are the same whether they are from the packet or in our GC. There are additional support tools and instructional videos available in GC as well.

2) Share one opportunity that you’ve created this week in the midst of difficulty. (You could share a new digital tool you've started learning or a different way to communicate with families or...)

Previously, we were not allowed to communicate with parents through ClassDojo. This rule came about after 50% of my class parents had joined. This week, I announced that we could begin using ClassDojo to communicate and I sent an email invitation to all parents not connected. Today., three more parents have joined Class Dojo. The parents connected to ClassDojo outnumber those connected to our G-class. But now, I have access to the majority of my parents in one place.

Lori Vaughan 4 years ago

Our schools Remote Learning Landscape is difficult. Two-thirds of my studemts are not using Google Classroom for completing lessons. We gave out paper packets and most parents picked up those instead of letting us work with their student online. Some because internet is not reliable as we are a very rural campus.

I have been connecting with some students by doing a read aloud of "The Return of the Indian" (I read the first book during class time) I have had several students join me in a zoom meeting! 

KENDRA JORDAN 4 years ago

Our school district requires us to use the Canvas platform.

I have been relying on Class Dojo for communication and sharing of resources with my students.

Mary Rhyne 4 years ago

I feel like we are getting started with our online learning. I am here to explore what else is available. 

AMANDA SULLIVAN 4 years ago

We use home as our class right now.  I am offering 2 Zoom meets weekly for my families.  They love it!  Our principal will also begin to use those as our connect to the school during this time.

Carree Britt 4 years ago

1) We are mostly using Google classroom! 

2) I've created a bootcamp for the low kids and our team is sending me their kids to make a mixed class of students that need that boot camp.

I love that you link directly to google classroom!

Making sure that all students have some form of technology to complete E-learning 

Working with students through zoom to attend virtual field trips 

LEA MCCOIG 4 years ago

My district is mainly using google classrooms and work packets. We have many students without computer acess. I have enjoyed making the math plans for our work packets. My team and I have been using zoom to hold PLC

Christa Hardy 4 years ago

We have 4 teachers on our team and we are all taking time to learn about distance learning, and for some, it's relatively easy, but for others, it is difficult.

I have never used zoom to have meetings with parents so as we begin to navigate through this new style of teaching I have learned how to record lesson on iMovie and share links with my parents. Also help parents feel comfortable with using technology because we are all learning something new together.

VANESSA CONNELL 4 years ago

1) Prior to school closings our school did not have a Remote Learning Landscape of any kind! I teach at a separate school for id moderate and id severe students. We are learning!

2) This week I have been recording lessons and activities for my parents and students to access to begin to get a feel for Remote Learning.

We are allowing students to check out chromebooks.  We are using online remote learning tools such as DoJo remote learning, SeeSaw, Google Clasroom, Zoom, and Clever.  There are many activities and apps within Clever.  A new digital tool I have used is SeeSaw and Clever.  I am also assigning tasks in DoJo to the students' digital portfolios.

CHANTELLE Hogan 4 years ago

My district has required virtual sessions and virtual opportunities that are optional for students.  My students have participated in book club discussions and have actively used iReady resources along with ReflexMath.

I created a SmartNotebook lesson that I used with a small group Zoom session.  

April Wood 4 years ago

I am a Blended Preschool Teacher so my take on my districts plan is a little different than K-5. We have been using class dojo to communicate with parents and students as well as google hangouts and zoom. We are also using a template with each subject matter as a heading. Under that heading there are many activities both online and not for parents and students. 

For my specific class, I have been posting read alouds, reviewing objectives we have already covered and playing games such as matching and rhyming. 

ANYA ROSS 4 years ago

My district which is Nash Rocky Mount in North Carolina has created a tab on the main webpage and provided a guide for students and families on what is expected, school schedules and technology help.

I acctually had used a Padlet in the past and had fallen off of using it, but I created one to share with my school to see how the students are doing. It's been great to see our students and staff. My plan whenever we do go back to school is to print out all the padlet pictures and videos and post them on my school webpage and to make it a physical board. 

BRITTANY ADKINS 4 years ago

1)  - Our school is doing paper work packets and using google classroom for 3-5 students. Students are logging in for digital meetings and we are putting instructional videos up for students to access to complete the work in the paper packets.

2)  - I have had time to really dive into learning with my students and have a better communication with parents. I have learned to use google classroom better, and canvas courses.

William Harris 4 years ago

Our School uses Dojo and Google Drive as our remote learning landscape.  Since we have had to start teaching at home during this time I have created a WIX.

Ashley Nguyen 4 years ago

1.  My school district is using Zoom to do weekly check ins with students and parents.  We are using Canvas and Google classroom to post assignments and to allow students to submit assignments.  

2.  I have created blending and sentence reading activities through the google drive as well as IPad lessons that my students can work through at home while having remote learning.  

Ashley Nguyen- kindergarten teacher

ALYSSA NAGG 4 years ago

1. Harnett County Schools has opened up a lot of Landscapes for us to use.  We have really started utilizing our google classroom, Live Google Meet sessions with students as well as Flipgrid so that students can post about fun things as well as academic things

2. I have really been using a lot of flipgrid (something I have never used before).  This week was mostly a trial run for students where we were commenting about fun topics; however, starting next week the students will be working on more academic topics such as creating their own poetry or making geometry symbols with their bodies. This allows the parents to keep updated with things there child likes or is learning as well as assignments on their Google Classroom. 

1.Many teachers at my school have been using different remote learning platforms such as Google Classroom, Class Dojo, Google Meet and Zoom. 

2. I have been exploring Google Classroom a lot and find it very fascinating in order to connect with  students remotely.

We are currently using google classroom. So far it has been going good.

We have recently gotten Smore in order to make newsletters to send out to parents.

1 - I think it is going OK.  I am elementary.  K-2 received paper/pencil work packets and have digital assignments as well, for those who have access.  3-5 are set up for completely digital learning.  The district allowed students to check out devices and they are supplying mobile hotspots for those who did not have wifi.  

2 - I have learned google classroom, which I was not previously using, but it is definitely something I would continue to use once we are back in school.

REBEKAH SCHEHR 4 years ago

Our school is all using Seesaw for classes and pull-out groups. This is similar to Google classroom, but much more user friendly for our early elementary kids. For example, they don't have to type or attach items, they can simply add a video, voice comment, or use drawing tools.

One opportunity we've created for the students we serve in intervention groups is offering them and their parents virtual conferencing and support sessions.

PAMELA SUTTON 4 years ago

Our PreK-2 is mostly using Zoom as we did porch pickups for packets as well as REMIND and Class Dojo; 3-5 is doing a mesh of Google Classroom and Printed packet; However, 6-12 is maximizing instruction with Google Classroom. Our 21st Century Program created and mailed packets as well as we are utilizing Google Classroom. We are currently exploring some type of Grade Level assessments virtual/written/phone conversations due to the removal of Istation and the ''pause button' that was placed on EOGs and EOCs for the 2019-2020 school year.

2) Share one opportunity that you’ve created this week in the midst of difficulty.

I am wonderful at classroom management in the school setting and this week I am IMPROVING my classroom management skills online. It's a different 'circus' with six year olds online instead of on the carpet! However, I did enjoy the virtual tour of one of my students's backyard! I miss them so!

TIA WILLIAMS 4 years ago

I learned about the resource FlipGrid and I absolutely love this resource and how I can share instruction for assignment throgugh video and share directly into my google classroom.

Out litearcy coach has took on doing read alouds for all studenets and I will be doing this myself as well using Quicktime or another resource.

Kendra Mikols 4 years ago

I am brand new to my district but our school/district seems to have alot of things going for them with remote learning. We are using Canvas to communicate with students and share materials. For experiences/specials, we created a google site with learning oppurtunities for STEM, Music and P.E. that the students can use. 

A new digital tool I've been using is FlipGrid. Students can submit videos and pictures. We are using this to do a Virtual Talent Show. 

JUANA RHILI 4 years ago

We are using PowerSchool learning and ClassDojo to post assignments and learning videos. 

This week I started using Seesaw and have seen more student engagment!

Tammy Locklear 4 years ago

I am using HiMama at my center to commicate with my parents. However, My personal children are using classdojo. They are also doing assigments on Seesaw, podiogy, quizizz, reflex and AR. 

LYNN ROUTH 4 years ago

Our district's remote learning landscape is definitely evolving rapidly. I have really enjoyed some of the Canvas webinars aimed at this.

School Library Journal has published a list of book publishers that have adapted their copyright policies. Please be aware that it is the publisher, not the author, that owns most of the book copyrights. Here's that link: https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=publishers-adapt-policies-to-help-educators-coronavirus-covid19

Anne Rossi 4 years ago

1) As a school and as a fourth grade team, we have done well with constant communication and the sharing of an abundance of resources to use for teaching our students as well as teacher education.

2) We have begun recording lessons with screencast-o-matic and providing digital choice boards (via Google Slides) that our students will begin using through their Google Classrooms next week!

Elsa Relihan 4 years ago

1.  Our district had specific teachers and instructional coaches work on Phase I instructional packets for the first three          weeks.  Last week we worked virtually to create packets for Phase II.  Teachers assign work in Google Classroom.  We are also encouraging students to use i-Ready and Istation online.  

2.  Teachers are contacting students on a weekly basis.

JENNIFER LOVILL 4 years ago

Things are going slightly better than expected for online learning. Our team seems to compliment each other well with what we know regarding online resources and being fluent in technology. This webinar was very useful to add to the list of resources!

JULIE GRATES 4 years ago

1. Our remote learning landscape has been going well! We are using google meet to check in with weekly- we are also using google classroom to assign work to students. Paper packets have been created for students without internet access.

2. I (along with my grade level) created interactive google slides for students to work on at home, links have been embedded for students to access videos and games to practice material from home. Students have been instructed to answer directly on their slides and once completed they are turning in. So far... so good!

Remote Learning is going fairly well at my school.  The teachers created schedules to share with parents and instructions on how to join the teachers for live classroom instruction.

One thing that I created along with a coworker is a "newsletter" in google.  We update this as often as needed.   It contains important information, links, and reminders for the entire staff.  The staff was becoming over whelmed with emails and updates.  So we created this newsletter taht staff can referrence each day.  They LOVE it!  We will continue to use this even when school is back in session.

INA SPIVEY 4 years ago

I am very proud of our school district's attempts to serve all students with the materials needed for E-Learning.  I watched the Virtual School Board Meeting last evening, and I am very pleased with the superintendent's decision-making and collaborating with board members in a way that is meaningful and helpful for educators and students.  I also want to add that my school has done a fantastic job at distributing the materials.  We have a new principal who's planned and prepared for success. I think with wonderful leaders and everyone pulling together, we are making it happen!

Andrea Hanlon 4 years ago

1.) My county has given teachers some choice in the platform we use for Remote Learning. I am using Google Classroom, which luckily I decided to learn at the start of the this school year.  I am in no way an expert, but am glad that my students and I had some experience with it before the school shut-down.  

2.)  I've learned how to use Google Meet and Zoom and my school has been using the platforms for PLC and staff meetings.   

1.Our rural school sent home Chromebooks with third through eighth graders and I pads for k-2. The internet access has been a challenge for students and staff. While I am no longer working at my school, I have to go to a community wifi location.

2. I've been going live through Google Meets with my kids twice a day, once for math and once for ELA. That was a new skill for me, setting up a meeting and getting nine year olds on board.

Robin Walker 4 years ago

1) I teach NC Pre-k at Partners In Learning in Salisbury, and we have not gotten word on how to help our children during this pandemic. However, I have taken it upon myself to send educational activities for them to do and I have asked the families to send me videos and or pictures in order for me to continue assessing them in Teaching Strategies Gold. Our Community Includion Spcialist Development Director has asked all of the Pre-K teachers to make videos of us doing an activity that can be easliy viewed on our Youtube page. The responses have been amazing.

2.) I have been able toconnect with my families via phone video, Zoom, and through the videos I have made for them to enjoy and in some cases reconstructed by the children.

INA SPIVEY 4 years ago

I created a flip grid for the first time.  I haven't yet shared it with my current students, but I have plans to utilize this cool collaborating tool in the future.  Edutopia.org has some very neat teaching ideas and resources.  I go to that website frequently just to check out any new ideas.  

MADELEINE TAPIA 4 years ago

We are doing virtual classes, from home using Googlemeets, the county schools have deliverded hard copy activities for K-2 and laptops for the uper grades.

I have shared the dailiy classes activities on a paddlet, communicate with parents and students through dojo and emails, share our schedule in a google doc so they can choose their group and recorded some of the sessions to share the videos with the students who can not connect in the mornings.

ANGELA DOWLESS 4 years ago

1. Our county is using Google Classroom for our digital learning platform. However, about a third of my students do not have access so they are doing paper/pencil packets. I am supporting my students with a once/twice a week  contact through Google meet, Messenger, or just a telephone call depending on what they have available. I am doing primarily what I would do in Small Group learning. I actually enjoy the one on one time.

2. I am learning to use Loom as of today to create videos for those who can access them. 

Karen Monazah 4 years ago

1. We are on Spring Break.  We are starting slowly until we are sure every child has access to a device and internet.  We are going to start like it is the first day back.  We will get expectations and connect with students using Google Hangout Chat.

2. I have done lots of webinars to get me prepared for next week.  I am happy we have this resource and I look forward to adding new materials to my group.  

I am learning how to navigate SeeSaw as a remote learning platform. This resource is definitely one of those new learning opportunities that has created a lot of light in midst of difficulty. Also, I am learning more about google including google classroom. 

JESSICA LEWIS 4 years ago

1. Our distrcit has did an awesome job with Remote Learning. Our administration created Hubs for eacfh grade level and the link to these gradre level Hubs are linked on our district website. The Hubs have morning announcements each day, riddle of the day and students can type in their responses. Students can click the link and click on their grade levle Hub to check for resources. Each grade level Hub is sectioned off by subject and teachers can link different videos and assignments for students to complete. We have weekly packets due that can be downloaded and printed. Students are also able to use Kami and email their packets to their teacher. We have weekly virtual staff meetings. Staff memebers also have their own HUB  All teachers have weekly zoom conferences with their classes.

2. I have weekly Zoom meetings with my students and sometimes have live Kahoot challenges and gymkits. Students love seeing is in zoom and having these live challenges. We tried to make it as normal of a school day under these circumstances. 

#Perquimans Pride 

CRYSTAL BULLARD 4 years ago

1. My school is using different types of Remote Learning opportunities. Students in lower grades are using printed packets, books, materials and info. posted on our school webpages, upper grades are using Google Classroom, and printed materials depending on if a student has Internet access.

2. I started using teacheradvisor.org after attending a webinar last week- it's for grades K-8, standards-based and free.

I'm a special education teacher at a title 1 school. Our school is currenlty using Google meet and Zoom to connect to teachers, parents and students. We are using Google meet meetings for IEP meetings. We've been using Zoom with students and for our EC team meetings. I've enjoyed looking at the different resources that GO NC has provided and will use for instruction as we move forward with the next platform.

KERIN REARDON 4 years ago

Some of my colleagues are very digitally savvy, I am not. My school has been using Bloomz, Google Classroom, and some other platforms. I have not created anything yet!!!

BONNIE RICE 4 years ago

Our school system is making some adjustments as to how to develop and create learning platforms using Zoom and Goggle meet. As an EC Teacher we are using google meet and/or Zoom to conduct iep meetings and department meetings. We are also gathering information to connect with teachers, parents and other professionsls. It has been slightly overwhelming to research other means of PD, it's that this is all in one place and ther is the ability to search using standards and text. Hopefully I can use this for instructional purposes as we move towards full integration of this new method of instruction. 

I'm a special education teacher at a title 1 school. Our school is currenlty using Google meet and Zoom to connect to teachers, parents and students. We are using Google meet meetings for IEP meetings. We've been using Zoom with students and for our EC team meetings. I've enjoyed looking at the different resources that GO NC has provided and will use for instruction as we move forward with the next platform.

KAREN MOSS 4 years ago

1.My  school is providing lots of support for teachers.  We have been using google classroom and class dojo to connect with our students and provide instruction.  We also use google meet to do grade level planning and meet with students.

2.  I have connected with my students on google meet and they love the interaction and it gives us a chance to do some review.

Marsha Story-Smith

1. My district is good at updating things.  My grade level is planning together.  We are creating packets to hand out to students, who want the paper version.  We are using Google classrooms to post links to assignments.  We are posting the packet in Google classroom.  I like Google classroom bc I get a list of who is signing on and who has not.  I am able to DoJo parents and let them know.  We (teachers) call our students every week. I provide individual teaching to students.  I log into to Zoom and walk parents through te platforms we are using. 

2.  Matering Zoom was a challenge but I feel I can have a meeting, share screens, let students write on the digital version of the papers.  We are closer to a real calssroom setting that we were 2 weeks ago when I started using Zoom.

My team has been using multiple landscapes which include google classroom, google meet, zoom, printed packets, telephone calls, etc. As a team we are working well. We plan together each week.  Eventhough we are providing resources, many of our students are not utilizing them. I'm about to learn more about screencasting.

AMANDA BOYD 4 years ago

1. I teach music at two schools. Both school are doing well, however one school is strictly canvas and the other school is what your grade level prefers canvas/google.

2. Canvas has come very easy to me. So easy others don't like it! I started working with Seesaw today and created two assignments in there, but have no idea how to share them on here. 

STEPHANIE SCOTT 4 years ago

1. My county has lent chromebooks to all students that need one to get online for remote learning. Those that can't are doing paper work packets. I have been using Seesaw all year but now I know how to create and post my own assignments.

2 I started having Zoom meetings with my class...it is a great way to keep in touch!

Robin Corwin 4 years ago

1. Our school has been using Microsoft Teams for instruction in grades 3-5 where the kiddos have 1:1 devices. K-2 is moving from packets to online with Teams this week. Teachers are of various levels of proficiency with remote learning. I'm on the lower end! 

2. I am a reading specialist so I work with many different grade levels and classes. Teachers have made me co-owners in their Teams so I can join them. I haven't created anything of my own yet but I am learning how to add assignments, meet with individuls students, and officate the chat :). 

1) Right now we (1st grade team) have been uploading our video lessons on our  class platform and then holding class meetings the following day to review the materials, which is going well. We also have been assigning lessons using iready/enVison/reading A-Z. based on what standards we are covering,

2) The last 2 weeks we have started new material and I have created a weekly break down of the week for the parents that is emailed and uploaded on our platform for reference. This seems to be helping with parents knowing what their child needs to do throughout the week for each subject.

TULELA PHILLIPS 4 years ago

During this critical time with being a new teacher, doing remote learning is very challenging for me. I have learned a little about Zoom. I was able to set it up and play around with it. I learned how to share my screen with my students while reading. I figured out how my students could write on the whiteboard during instuctiona time.

1) Our school is doing work packets and using ClassDojo for our 3-5 students. We also us zoom to communicate with them and let them see their classmates a couple times a week. I am reviewing what I have taught already in class by uploading videos of me reviewing problems with them and even going over anchor charts. I upload review problems for them to practice on Quizizz too. They seem to really like that.

2) I have had an opportunity to learn a lot this week about zoom. They have upped their privacy settings so that it can make it a little more safe for us as educators to use with our students and teammates. I have also enjoyed learning about GoOpenNC. It has a lot of great resources that I can't wait to dive into and to also contribute to.

HEATHER WILDE 4 years ago

I had planning with my 3rd grade team today and I used this GoOpenNC to look for some math activities, it was awesome.

I have learned so much through this experience. My team has used SeeSaw and Screencastify which has been super helpful in getting assignments to students and explaining these websites and directions through screencastify. 

RANDALL KERN 4 years ago

1) Everything has morphed into a completely different animal but my colleagues seem to have adapted well, I link them to my art class through Flipgrid and that seems to have worked well.

2) I've focused on two things, either digital resources online since the students have been given laptops/chrombooks, etc.  I've used fun activities online such as picassohead.com and drawastickman.com where they create art with a mouse and can submit their work to an online gallery.  The other approach has been trying to create activities they can create through using found objects at home (aluminum foil sculpture, leaf etchings, etc.).  So far, so good, steady as she goes.

Morgan Noggle 4 years ago

1. Honestly we haven't really had much as far as details on our remote learning landscape and what is expected of us but DCDEE is working on those measure and I'm sure we will have more information as it comes along. I am in a wake county NC PreK thats in a private childcare. I personally have been using Zoom to meet with the children and do some activities as well as literacy games. In the process of doing some zoom meetings with other NC Pre-K staff to work on PLCs and see what everyone is doing to collaborate and get some ideas together.

2. An opportunity that I have learned throughout the last week was how to implement happynumbers online for the children to have their own portfolios and for me to monitor their growth in the mathematical equations. I've also heard from fellow NC Pre-K teachers that ABC Mouse is free for now and that you can also create portfolios on there. I plan to look into these some more tomorrow and into next week.

We are very fortunate in Brunswick County to have a wonderful technology support staff that has provided many resources for remote learning. It is actually amazing how quickly the resources were made available to teachers. 
I have created a Google Classroom page to post assignments and videos for my students. I have also used Zoom as a way to interact with students "face to face ".

My school district (CMS) is definitely making use of Remote Learning in grades 4 - 12. In those grades all students who needed a device have been able to "check out" a chromebook. In all grades teachers are making use of Canvas and Google Classroom to keep connected to their students.

One opportunity that I learned about this week is this one, GoOpenNC. I am excited to share this with my school team later today when we have our Google Meet Special Area PLC meeting.

Grace Cole 4 years ago

1.  My school has really been embracing Zoom and Google Hangouts/Meet to try and communicate with students.  I've gotten to be a part of several, and the students are excited to be part of it- and to talk to their teachers and fellow classmates.  I am so impressed at the effort and time parents are taking with the Remote Learning.  I know there are a handful of students that teachers haven't heard from, but they are communicated with our counselor, social worker, and admin to make sure these families are okay.

2. This week, I am sharing Immersive Reader with my EC personnal.  There is a Chrome extension for it, and I can see one of the teachers immediately sharing it out with students to help them have more and better accessibility.