WELCOME! Introduce Yourselves!

by Steve Johnson 11 months, 1 week ago

Greetings STEM Teachers!  So glad to have you here as we test out ways to keep you connected to colleagues across NC.  Please take a moment to respond below with your name, the county or school you teach in, and anything else you feel comfortable sharing!

As for me- my name is Steve Johnson and I'm no longer a teacher, but used to teach kindergarten, 2nd grade, and in the computer lab at Vass-Lakeview Elementary in Moore County.  

I've got 3 beautiful girls, one of which is a senior and in the process of finding a college.  They are all into theater, which keeps us extremely busy but happy =).

SANDRA SUMMERLIN 11 months, 1 week ago

I am Sandy Summerlin, and I teach at East Albemarle Elementary. I am in my 24th year of education and have taught !st, 2nd, 3rd and K-5 STEM. I started a STEM Lab at 2 different schools that had never had one before, so I am used to "starting from scratch" and making it up as you go along! I am happy to share my experiences and the many activities and lessons I have developed to help support our science standards being taught in the regular classrooms. I also love doing engineering challenges. My husband and I raised 2 sons so I feel like my life has been a STEM adventure!

ERIN HUDGINS 11 months ago

Hi there!

My name is Erin Hudgins and I teach at Lincoln Charter School in the Denver, NC area. I have taught for 22 years and have taught 1st, 3rd, 5th, and the last 3 years have taught our school's STEM elective for k-8th students. I am looking forward to meeting/connecting with other teachers in a similar role.

Sherry Parrish 11 months ago

Hi! I am Sherry Parrish and I teach at Surf City Elementary in Hampstead, NC.  I have taught 2, 4, 5, 9-12, and am currently teaching STEAM at my elementary school.  I have raised 2 wonderful daughters who are both married.  This is my first year teaching STEAM so I look forward to all of your advice as there is not a curriculum to follow. I love presenting challenges to the students and seeing them succeed.

I am Susan Miller-Hendrix, and I am the Science Supervisor with the Public Schools of Robeson County.  I have been in Education for 16 years with the last 6 being spent in Robeson County as their Science Supervisor.  I was tasked when I started to create a STEM program.  STEM is now a word that is common from school to school with a total of 9 STEM labs in schools across the district as well as a Mobile STEAM Unit that travels around.  We are moving in the right direction and will soon have a pipeline of STEM students.  

MELODY MADEJ 11 months ago

I am Melody Madej. I am the K-6 STEM Lab teacher at Maiden Elementary in Catawba County. This is a brand new venture for our school, so I am starting from scratch! This is my 25th year in education and have taught grades 1 - 6 previously with the last several years in 5th grade science here at Maiden. I coach our robotics team and run the GEMS (Girls Excelling in Math and Science) Club afterschool. I have a daughter and son that are both grown and three grandchildren. I am looking forward to learning from those in a similar situation and sharing what I find as I go. 

Stephanie Eddings 10 months ago

I am Stephanie Eddings and I teach at Balls Creek Elementary.  I am in my 18th year of education and have been teaching in our STEAM lab for the last 8.5 years.  I coach two different robotics teams at our schools, one for 2-3 and one for 4-6.  I plan our county's robotics competition for Lego robots and Sphero robots.  I'm happy to help where I can :)

COURTNEY KERCHNER 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi! I'm a little late to reply, but my name is Courtney Kerchner. I teach at Dunn Elementary in Harnett County. This is my 6th year teaching and 2nd year teaching our STREAM lab. 

Shannon Floyd 4 months, 1 week ago

I am Shannon Floyd, and I teach in Orange County Schools. This is my 26th year teaching. I taught 5th grade, and I currently teach third grade. I lead a team at my school that creates school-wide monthly STEAM challenges for K-5 students. I have a passion for STEAM and would love to pursue it full-time; however, budget has prevented our district from hiring STEM teachers. I look forward to being a part of this group and sharing ideas!