Catawba County Schools
Mentor Information for Beginning Teachers During Initial School Tour
Mentor Team Members and Contact Information:
What’s in a name? Access to what you need. Who are the following?
Child Nutrition Manager:
Exceptional Children’s Teachers:
English as a Second Language Teachers:
Instructional Technology Facilitator:
- How do I sign in each morning? How do I sign out each afternoon?
- What are the hours for teachers? What are the hours for students
- Where should I park?
- Are there special dress code requirements for teachers? For students?
- Where are the faculty mailboxes?
- Where is the faculty lounge and closest staff restroom?
- Where and how do I secure classroom supplies?
- What office machines are available to use? Where are they located?
- What are the school procedures for using the copier? How many copies am I allotted each semester? What if I need more?
- What are the school procedures for using the laminator? How does it work
- How do I secure my teacher Chromebook? Will the students have their own? What are the specific school rules for student Chromebook use?
- From whom do I secure teacher's manuals and additional textbooks?
- What other equipment may I use and how do I get it?
- What resources are shared?
- How is the media center scheduled?
- In what format do I need to turn in my lesson plans weekly to the administration? What day are they due each week?
- What other duties am I expected to complete? Hall? Bus? Lunch? Gate? Others?
- When may I use my cell phone?
- What the expectations around social media? What is Workplace? What is acceptable to post in Workplace? On my school webpage?
- What other information should I know?
Safety and Discipline
- What exit does my class use for fire drills?
- How will I learn about Educators Handbook? How do I determine what is a Major vs. a Minor?
- What should I do if there is an emergency in the classroom? Whom should I contact?
- What is the procedure for giving out medication?
- What are the expectations for hall supervision during class changes and going to and from different parts of the building?
- What other information should I know about security procedures?
- Are there forms to be used to document parent contacts and discipline incidents that are particular to this school?
- Do I need to have emergency substitute lesson plans and where should those be kept?
- Is there anything I need to know about the first day of school that might be different from other days? Assemblies? Team meetings? Grade level meetings? Other?
- How many students will attend the school this year?
- How many students will I have?
- Where can I find my schedule?
- What are the attendance accounting procedures for students? The tardy policy and procedures?
- When does my class or I go to lunch?
- What are the grading guidelines for the school?
- Where are the cumulative folders kept and what is my responsibility for maintaining them? Can I remove them to my room? Can they be stored in my room or taken from the school?
- How do I access information about modifications or accommodations that some of my students may need?
- What are the rules about student cell phone use here?
- Who is the chairperson of the Building Leadership Team (BLT)?
- What does the BLT do?
- Who are the other members and how are they chosen?
- Are there particular procedures for MTSS that I should follow?
- Are there any other things I should know about the culture and expectations of this school and staff?
- Are there any hidden rules I should be aware of?