Content Focus Group - Webinar 1 Question One

by Joanna Schimizzi 3 years, 2 months ago

(This discussion post is for our "Content Focus Groups" that are participating in a two-webinar series. Other members are welcome to participate as well!)

What is your name, content expertise, current role in education? Which standard from your content area do you feel has the biggest need for resources and why?

Jennifer Cochran 3 years, 2 months ago

My name is Jennifer Cochran and I am a secondary Math teacher at a Charter School.  I teach all levels of math but my main interests in investing time in this Webinar is to help build resources for Math 3 and Math 4.  There are not many resources for this level of Math and it would be nice to help each other to grow resources in this area.

With Math 3 and 4 I think the biggest need for resources is probabaly in statistics, but all the standards could use some resources as well.

Joanna Schimizzi 3 years, 2 months ago

Hi Jennifer --

It's great to have you in the cohort! I think you're right that statistics is a great focus area, especially since it impacts lots of other content areas at the high school level (science, economics, etc!). We're glad to have you as part of this community.

Alicia Conklin 3 years, 2 months ago

My name is Alicia Conklin I am a HS Content Coach in Iredell-Statesville Schools and I also teach a Math 3 course for Virtual Iredell-Statesville Schools. I think right now the focus is definitely on Math 4 (emphasis on the Stats Units). 

ANNA GILLESPIE 3 years, 2 months ago

I could definitely use some PD on stats!  That has been a big push for our district across all levels of math courses.

Hi Alica - We're so glad to have you joining this group of awesome Math educators. Your expertise as a Coach and a Virtual teacher will be so valuable! I hear a theme emerging about Stats!

ANNA GILLESPIE 3 years, 2 months ago

My name is Anna Gillespie and I am a secondary math teacher at Sampson Early College High School.  I currently teach NC Math 2 and Pre-Calculus.  I feel there is a need for more resources for the upper level math courses such as Pre-Calculus and NC Math 4.  For example, SchoolNet has a variety of standardized test questions for Math 1 and 2 but does not have the same amount for Pre-Cal.  

Hi Anna --

Welcome to the cohort of brilliant Math educators. You bring up a great point about assessments and how the resources on the platform can also include assessments, especially those that students can't just "Google" the answer/answer key. Your multi-level expertise will be so beneficial for this group.

Aisha Lau 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm Aisha Lau and I'm an EC co-teacher in both Math 3 and Math 4 classes. I am always looking for resources on how to close the gaping knowledge gaps that my Math 3 and Math 4 students have. I think that it is cruel to subject some of my students who will never take another math class in their lives to Math 3. I'm always on the lookout for some way to ease their pain.

Hi Aisha -

It's wonderful to have you join the group. I love how you are advocating for your students and making connections and closing the gaps they may have in their knowledge. Your content knowledge and pedagogical approach to supporting students is so important!

SABINE MOSES 3 years, 2 months ago

My name is Sabine Moses and I am a secondary Math teacher at a low-income public high school in western NC. I feel the biggest need for resources in Math 3 are in Statistics because it has been incredibly hard to teach Stats effectively during virtual school! I have been trying to create resources within my PLC and also share them within our county's high schools, but it has been a difficult unit to teach.