- 3rd-grade lesson plan implementing the 7 steps for pre-teaching vocabulary by Calderon and Slakk (2018): 1) Students repeat word 3xs; 2) Teacher says the word and reads the sentence exactly as it is in the text; 3) Teacher gives dictionary definition; 4) Teacher gives student-friendly definition/example; 5) Teacher highlights one feature of the word- that it is polysemous, cognate, tense, prefix, root word, etc.; 6) In pairs, students ping-pong 5-6 uses of the word in a provided sentence frame (most important step); 7) Teacher assigns opportunity for students to practice the new words in writing, reading, exit tickets.
- English as a Second Language, Science
- Lower Primary, Upper Primary
- Material Type:
- Lesson Plan
- Xatli Stox, ANGELICA SHORNACK
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution
No evaluations yet.